PedRac3rs 1985 AE85 Levin

PedRac3r

Replaced the rear wheel studs with some longer items after the orginal ones had been crudely hacked off for wheel spacers. It had these eyesore rear caliper mounts on it, so fabricated up some cleaner mounts to replace the previous ones, pictures say why... Gave the calipers a good clean and some paint too.

image0009.jpg

Ordered some new outer shells for my front wheels. Set the wheel up in the lathe on a jig I made. Here is the wheel which I had just finished parting the outer shell off. Makes it a lot easier when your doing a few when you have a jig, rather than clocking each one up in the 4 jaw chuck.

image0017.jpg

Shells were ordered from Gavin Bateman. I had to drill 6 extra holes to make them 12 bolt, like I did for the rears. The spacing between the standard 6 bolt is just too far, when I was seating tires on the rears for the first time after widening them the pressure (took 80psi to seat...)  was enough to deform the lip around the bolts.

image0020.jpg

Wheels all done with some fresh rubber.

image0066g.jpg

Speaking of wheels, I had bought a pair of 6.5j SSR Starsharks, in fairly good nick too!

image0057.jpg

Put a G1 Link in it, in hopes for some more power and for future purposes, made a ridiculously high power figure, 180.1kw, oh no sorry its only 80.1...

image0069.jpg

But still (just) enough for skids. Thanks to Kris (kpr) for the video and pictures

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9VtLrnRg5GI

dsc03910ped.jpg

dsc03911ped.jpg
  • Like 9

Decided to do a track day at Pukekohe. Was heaps of fun, car went really well with the 4.9 diff ratio, although I was at 7300-7400 RPM in 5th gear at the end of the front straight (rev limit is 7500). Was the first time I got to test out the gear stick properly and it was perfect! Suprised at how much grip it still had for street tyres too. I put a muffler on the rear for the day as I know how hard they enforce the sound limit at Puke, but still got a warning at 97dB haha. Ended up leaving the muffler on, sounded much nicer anyway.

Got my mate Goob at Herbert Fab to weld up this over flow for me before the track day. Gives me a little more room for the intercooler piping in the future.

image0149.jpg

Decided I was going to look over the rear end of the car again, make some improvements where I could. So I made up some new rear diff control arms using 6061-T6 grade aluminium round bar, and QA1 chromoly rod ends and machined up the spacers as well. Panhard rod not pictured here, but I used the 3/4" ($$$) rod end instead of 5/8 for the panhard. Here's some pics

image0150.jpg

image0155.jpg

And the spacers to compensate for the difference in width between the factory control arm bush and rod end, and a neat fit for the bolt so they dont slop around.

image0154.jpg

I went to fit these arms up, and I had to make them all different lengths to get them to fit due to the fact that somebody had made a mess of the diff swap. Decided I would cut all the brackets off my diff and re weld them back on in the factory location, how they should of been done to start with. So first step was to get a factory diff and make up a jig to get all the mounting points off. Luckily I was able to get my hands on a factory AE86 diff that hadn't been modified or bent. After measuring up the factory 86 diff, I could really see how far out the mounts were on my Hilux diff... Top control arm mounts were 25mm further apart than they should be, lower arm mounts should of been 40mm further apart... I had to make a jig that would locate from the centre of the hub so the wheel base would be as per factory, allow for the difference in overall length from hub to hub as the Hilux rear end was just a little over 20mm wider overall and have the right orientation of the housing to get the pinion angle correct.

86 Diff and jig pretty much finished here. Parallels between the RHS and the machined face for the diff head gets the orientation right.

image0161.jpg

image0162.jpg

The threaded rod with the point machined on the end allows for the difference in overall length, center the diff in the jig and locates nicely into the factory center drilled hole in the end of the hub.

image0163.jpg

Here is the Hilux rear end after cutting all the mounts off and paint stripping it.

image0166.jpg

image0167.jpg

Started to make up some new bits and pieces, new pan hard mount and pin waiting to be welded together

image0168.jpg

Sort of how it will look once together. Different length spacers to get a bit more clearance around the diff housing.

image0169.jpg

New shock mounts machined and fab'd. These should be a fair bit stronger than factory, so if I want to go to a coilover setup in the rear I wont need to make any further changes to prevent the shock mount from bending or snapping off.

image0170.jpg

Heres all the new brackets and mounts I had made tacked up on the diff housing.

image0178.jpg

Got some more filler wire and finished welding up all the new mounts. Cleaned out all the grinding dust, masked it up and put some paint on it

image0181.jpg

image0182.jpg

The Hilux diff is quite a bit bigger that the 86 gear, so with the ride height Im running I was having a small issue with clearance. The diff head was hitting where the factory 86 diff bump stop would be just at the end of the drive shaft tunnel.

Forgot to take some pictures before hand, but you can see the shiny mark on the diff head

image0174.jpg

Which was hitting this piece here I cut out to make room.

image0173.jpg

Got about another 20-25mm of room to play with now, might be able to get a little more tweaking the adjustable arms also. I was lucky for it to be double skinned where it needed to be cut so I didnt have to weld in anything to cover up holes etc. I put some sealant on to stop water from pooling between the two skins. No picture of the painted outcome though

image0172.jpg

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

So carrying on, I got a chance to really test the new rear end setup (as well as the whole car) down in Taupo. Got an alignment on the Friday arvo to set the rear end up. I was expecting the housing to pull and bow from the welding and throw the alignment out, but came out okay at 0.5 degree negative camber in the rear and 1mm toe out each side. After that the car was already for the weekend. Headed down to Taupo early Sunday morning for another drift day held by Chris/Zero Class. Was a really good day, car went really well too so I was stoked about that.

Have a few pictures here:

taupodrift6.jpg

taupodrift2e.jpg

taupodrift4.jpg

taupodrift3.jpg

taupodrift1.jpg

taupodrift5.jpg

Had a few tires delaminate and do some damage, first one tore the side skirt off and I must of ran it over, and did some damage to the already fucked guard. Second tire made it worse haha. I wasnt too fussed, needed fixed anyway.

image0190.jpg

image0191.jpg

Some moving pictures from that weekend

• Like 2

So the next logical thing I should of done was get it tuned, but I put that on hold for a while. During the change to the turbo setup I picked up a fibreglass bonnet and a pair of side skirts from Mike Shaw Fibreglass, figured I would address the exterior. Like his other products I have (the duck bill and front lip), fitment was good! The bonnet was pretty much just so I can shave a few kilos off the car, only weighing 6kgs and factory steel bonnet is 14kgs. Bought a pair of carbon fibre flush mount bonnet pins as the bonnet doesnt use the factory latch. 

image0198t.jpg 

image0199j.jpg 

And after breaking my right corner light nearly a year ago now I think, I finally got another! Had a bit of over spray on it, and the lenses were a little dirty on the inside but it cleaned up okay. Front end looks a little more complete now

image0201.jpg 

Also picked up a pair of front guards, which werent mint condition with some small amounts of rust in various places, but they were perfect for what I wanted to do with them... 

image0206o.jpg 

I cut off the flare section on the front gaurds and use it on the rear of my car to fix the damage. Pictures speak a thousand words, so here is a post from Kris's blog where he has already performed this: Guard work | Garage 4AG. Like I said, my next step was supposed to be dyno time but I changed my plans and decided to see Grant at GT Refinishers. Initially it was just to sort out the rear guards and leave them in primer, but after thinking about it for a week I decided Id get the whole car paneled and repainted. It had been at Grants for a few weeks and was coming along nicely. Managed to get a few photos of it mid paint. Here it is with some black on it, waiting to be masked up and the red sprayed on.

img0043ql.jpg 

img0044oc.jpg 

img0045ojc.jpg 

Then a few weeks later after picking it up, got all the final pieces back on

img0114yp.jpg 

img0117e.jpg 

img0116hm.jpg 

Got it tuned after that at last. Was hoping for 120kw, but 114 was still a huge improvement and was stoked!

img0182zt.jpg 

img0183ro.jpg

Although the T25 didnt stay on there for long, had some issues with it... More next time.

• Like 8

So, I had been thinking about making a new exhaust manifold, proper merge collector, equal length etc. I had never made one before so thought it would be a good challenge. Did a bit of research and got some advice from some people (thanks Kris!) and thought Id start with making a merge collector. I made a jig so I could cut the angles I needed in my saw at home, I went with a 15deg cut just to see how it would come together and I am a little limited for room.

img0189bq.jpg

Skip a few steps

img0190di.jpg

img0194hv.jpg

img0195bf.jpg

Finished welding the collector, shortened it up too

img0197yax.jpg

img0198fb.jpg

Machined an exhaust flange

img0196ej.jpg

Picked up some bends. These are 1 1/4" SCH40 short radius bends. Got the first 2 runners tacked up and equal length

img0204lk.jpg

img0205n.jpg

Finished welding up all the runners. The last two I thought were going to be the easiest, but trying to get them equal length and still clear everything was a little tricky. Managed to get them pretty much all equal length (within 5mm from the longest to shortest), thats why the runners look a little funky.

img0231y.jpg

img0235tx.jpg

Decided to machine a new flange. The DXF file I got off a forum for the other one wasnt overly good interms of fitment and decided I wanted the ports to taper from 30mm to 35mm to match the pipe and exhaust ports.

img0236ff.jpg

New down pipe, a lot simpler in design now that I am using an external waste gate and probably a lot better flowing than my original one. Instead of welding it to the rest of the existing down pipe, I did a slip joint that this slips into which makes it alot easier getting the turbo on and off not having to go under the car and bolt the whole lot.

img0253pfl.jpg

After adding a waste gate port for the Tial gate and some heat proof paint and bolted it up

img0255rma.jpg

The T25 turbo had some weird issue where it constantly sept oil pass the oil seal, after adding an oil restrictor, bigger oil drain and even replacing the seal (turbo was rebuilt already) it kept leaking. Decided to upgrade to a T28 Garrett turbo from a Nissan S15. Got it tuned with the new manifold setup and T28 turbo. Ended up going with 470cc Siemens Deka Injectors and upgraded the fuel pump to a DW300 unit. I was pretty suprised with the results to say the least! Found some complete pics of the manifold too. Anyway, less talk moar pictures.

img_0331.jpg?w=625

img0332ne.jpg

img0444xy.jpg

img0446be.jpg

img0447tn.jpg

I wasnt expecting to make 180kw at the wheels, I was hoping for atleast 150kw. It went bloody good though!

• Like 9

I did a track day at Pukekohe with the new power figure, car ran real well all day. Only issue being that the AE86 brakes were a real let down and that there was a high speed vibration. So I pulled the drive shaft out to get it checked/balanced. Turns out it had approx critical speed of only 7000 rpm and in 5th gear at 7500 rpm (engine speed, which I was almost getting to in 5th) the driveshaft will be turning 9500 rpm so I was pushing the limits of it. Decided to make a 2 piece drive shaft instead which puts the critical speed in 12000 rpm + range. Purchased a second hand 2 piece Hilux drive shaft and a hanger bearing/mount to suit the AE chassis.

Here is the center mount with the right hanger mount on it.

btb3.jpg

Took a few quick measurements and cut up my drive shaft, front half here. Left a little extra on to machine off once I had turned the spigot on the center mount to guarantee I got the right length.

ps8y.jpg

And here it is all bead blasted and tacked up making sure it fits.

v754.jpg

q8o1.jpg

The drive shaft went to get balanced, so decided to make a new gearbox cross member (again) to raise the gearbox 25mm, which puts the output shaft back to factory location and reduces the working angle on the front UJ down to around 2 degrees instead of 6 degrees. I thought I had a few more pictures of it as I was making it but this seems to be it

c8rp.jpg

Notched a another bit of pipe and added some flat bar for the gearbox to mount to. Had to make a V shaped mount to bolt to the gearbox, allows me to bolt the gearbox to the cross member and shim it if needed to fine tune the drive shaft angles.

6rd2.jpg

Drive shaft back, painted and in the car. Ended up making some 10mm spacers for the cross member, just helped to reduce all the working angles on the UJ's down to 3-3.5 degrees. 

97yo.jpg

ig9u.jpg

Brother and I went to another track day at Pukekohe, the drive shaft worked well for me which was good. Brothers car ran faultless all day. Kris sent me this vid as he was there in his red KP Starlet

pukekohe41.jpg?w=487

pukekohe3.jpg?w=487

e459.jpg

gnuc.jpg

Was a pretty good day, but by the end of the last session the engine wasn't sounding that flash. It had developed a light knock in the bottom end unfortunately. I wasnt expecting it to even last that long to be honest. So the engine build begins...

• Like 8

Decided to finish off some loose ends before I pulled the engine, free up some bench space and all that. I had started on a brake upgrade before the last track day but ran out of time to finish it. I had been talking to Barry Manon about his Wilwood setups, but he didnt have anything to fit a 14" wheel, so I grabbed his 15" brake kit to see how it would fit. Ended up having some other adaptors laser cut to bring the caliper in towards the center more. Picked up some BMW Mini 276mm Brembo blank rotors, re-drilled them to suit the hubs, opened up the centre bore to 68mm and added 8 curved slots to each face.

ga7b.jpg

Had to machine a 7mm spacer to sit between the rotor and the hub to get adequate caliper/wheel clearance.

yunz.jpg

Gave the hubs a bit of a paint and put everything back together.

ccaj.jpg

From the inside, pretty close to the wheel center. If it wasnt for that radius on the inside of wheel, I could have fit a 300mm rotor. Had to take a little off the lower control arm to clear the rotor too.

x9p6.jpg

Also noticed when I took this picture that the bolt heads for the castor arm and knuckle were actually hitting on full lock, could of only been cause the suspension is drooped but never the less, decided to do something about it. Removed the castor arms and countersunk the holes. Hellaflush yo.

74rf.jpg

With the brakes all done it was time to look at pulling the less than healthy 4AG from its place. I was off work for 4 weeks stuck in a sling, recovering from some shoulder surgery, so I tried to keep busy by doing little things. Had a heap of this gold reflective vinyl left over so decided to stick it in the engine bay where it gets a fair bit of heat from the turbo and exhaust etc.

img_0518.jpg?w=625

img_0524.jpg?w=625

Also had a little front tyre issue at Pukekohe, wheels were getting caught on full lock on the inner tubs making it quite hard to turn off from full lock. So decided to go back to the 195/45 T1R. Id much prefer to use the Bridgestone as I think its a better tyre as far as grip goes, but its just too chubby in 185/55 with no other size options in 14". Anyway, with 195/45 T1R upfront (took them off the rear wheels), there was plenty of clearance everywhere but I needed some new rubber for the rear now. T1R also come in 225/45/14, so I grabbed a pair off those to go on the rear. They sit nicer on the 9j rim.

img_0520.jpg?w=625

Tuned up some ducting for the radiator and intercooler as well. I made some cardboard templates and had my mate Graeme at SMS fabrication cut them from aluminium for me.

img_0612.jpg?w=625

Drilled a few holes, bolted them together

img_0616.jpg?w=625

img_0640.jpg?w=625

• Like 3

So a few posts back I made a comment about the engine sounding a bit noisy. So after pulling it down this is what we found.

img_0723.jpg?w=487

All four top shells on the rod bearings were like that. Not incredibly worn, but enough to open up the clearances and make some noise. So the rebuild began, I let the guys at GER take care of that for me. We went with .5mm O/S 4AGZE pistons, MRP forged H-Beam rods, ACL Race main and big end bearings, ARP main, head and rod bolts, 1mm MLS Toda head gasket and Toda valve springs, tidied up the intake and exhaust ports a little. I hopefully have a fairly solid and reliable engine now

img_0591.jpg?w=487

img_0594.jpg?w=487

img_0595.jpg?w=487

img_0668.jpg?w=487

img_0713.jpg?w=487

On to the head work I did. Didnt go crazy with it, basically cleaned up the factory casting/machining misalignment and flaws.

Before:

su4k.jpg

You can see the misalignment between the casting for the actual port and where the valve seat/guide have been machined here on the intake port, probably about a 1.5mm step you can see there.

5nan.jpg

gnzm.jpg

Exhaust ports were a lot better, apart from the port floor radius into the valve seat being very sharp, almost a bottle neck. Little bit hard to see due to the carbon residue and angle

udxa.jpg

Also noticed after poking around the head and having a bit of a look, that there were a lot of burrs and casting flaws around the valve train area, and majority of them would fall off if you gave them a scratch with your finger nail leaving small pieces of metal to fall back into the sump. So I deburred the lot, didnt want to run the risk of that happening.

7qze.jpg

Intake and exhaust port bowls done, as well as removing the shroud around the valve seats in the combustion chamber. Only did the valve bowl area for the intake and left the rest of the port as is. Exhaust port I polished as much as I could, although couldnt quite get in around the valve guide.

3yes.jpg

hg1b.jpg

The guys at GER had the block and head ready to pick up.

img_0717.jpg?w=487

img_0715.jpg?w=487

ARP head studs in, Toda 1 MLS head gasket

img_0719.jpg?w=487

Was messing around with valve cover colours

img_0727.jpg?w=487

img_0732.jpg?w=487

• Like 7

So exhaust done, I had to finish of the changes on the hot side of the I/C piping. I machined up another one of these adaptors

img_1015.jpg?w=625

This rotates the intercooler elbow that bolts to the compressor housing 60 degrees, so that it points to the front of the car, instead into the manifold or strut tower. Welded a boss on to said elbow, added a 90 deg hose barb for a pressure signal to the wastegate.

img_1019.jpg?w=625

Bolted it up to the adaptor I machined earlier and fitted it on the turbo, which meant I could finish installing all the hose joiners and clamps. Ditched all the blue joiners and went for black stuff, also went to an 3" intake pipe instead of the 2.5" I was using previously.

img_1021.jpg?w=625

With that done it means its pretty much all sorted, except I decided to relocate the boost control solenoid to reduce the length of the lines. Oh and because race car, I made a racing light weight race pipe for racing because race car loud race pipe tip... yeah.

img_1027.jpg?w=625

Basically just a 3" tip, I put a V-band on it so I can swap back to the muffler if noise became an issue (which it was)

img_1030.jpg?w=625

With everything back together and ready to go on the dyno again, in typical fashion, I decided to pull some more shit off it so it wasnt going haha. The AE85 fuel tank has always been a pain, from mounting the fuel pump, to the lack of baffling and the surge you get below half a tank of gas... Made the decision to finally sort this out by putting a proper surge tank setup in it. Bought a Bosch 044 and a 10 micron Aeromotive filter from NZ Performance. Always a pleasure dealing with them!

img_1057.jpg?w=650

So after talking with NZEFI about whether I'd be able to use the Bosch 044 on the same electrical circuit as the DW300 pump (which shares with the ignition), we came to the conclusion that I would be pushing the current draw to high, and also the fact the DW300 pump wouldnt be suitable as a lift pump I purchased a low pressure lift pump to replace the DW300. The good thing about this lift pump is that it only draws 1amp, so it drops the current draw to much more suitable level. NZEFI have been really helpful with any questions and queries Ive had since purchasing the Link G4+ Atom from them.

Pulled the tank out to drop the new lift pump in, and I could see a fair amount of sediment in there, aswell as really small fragments of what looked like rust in the DW300 filter sock... Not something I want going through my new pumps or injectors! 15mins researching of how to clean a fuel tank and I found that hydrochloric acid was recommended, which was good as I had 15-20L of this. So stripped the old paint off the outside of the tank, filled the tank up with hydrochloric acid diluted with water. For anyone doing this at home, make sure you're wearing suitable protective gear, dont want to get any of this stuff on your skin or breathe in the fumes! Let the acid do its thing for a few hours, added some baking soda and let it sit for a bit then drained it, then filled it back up with water and a few cups of baking soda to further neutralise the acid. After draining that, the tank basically looked like new inside, stoked! I filled it back up again with water and some "Super Ripper" cleaner, let that soak to remove anything left behind and went through a lengthy drying process which involved pumping hot air through it with a heat gun. With inside clean I masked off the holes and removed any rust on the outside, painted it with a rust kill etch primer and then finished it in satin black.

img_1061.jpg?w=650

img_1062.jpg?w=650

I just needed to get the lift pump in there now, but I was sick of staring at this old fuel pump cradle...

img_1058.jpg?w=650

Soooooo I made a new one. Machined up a few pieces and welded the lot together, added some Fragola -6 adaptors so I can run braided line from the tank to surge and vice versa.

img_1066.jpg?w=650

img_1069.jpg?w=650

Ill leave it here for now

• Like 5

Here is the fuel pump cradle, complete with a sealed electrical bulk head from MSEL.

img_1103.jpg?w=650

Here it is installed in the tank through the cut out I made in the floor. Makes it a lot easier to work on, means I dont have to drop the entire tank just to get to the lift pump.

img_1104.jpg?w=650

Added some -6 bulk head fittings. Fuel in from lift pump, surge tank overflow,  fuel rail return and fuel out from the Bosch 044 pump. Had to make some 3mm thick aluminium washers as the sheet metal was too thin for the bulk head nut to do up tight.

img_1094.jpg?w=650

img_1090.jpg?w=650

I had my mate Graeme at SMS fabrication tune me up a surge tank that I drew up for him. He's got all the gear to cut and fold sheet metal, and hes a bit of a whiz on the TIG welder when it comes to aluminium. Here it is mocked up.

img_1108.jpg?w=650

Brought an Aeromotive fuel regulator, mounted that on the fire wall. Made a few changes to the fuel rail to make it easier to make up the fuel lines. Decided to go with braided lines through out, although a little more expensive it was going to be easier to plumb up and make it alot simplier.

img_1152-e1409974420684.jpg?w=660

img_1187.jpg?w=660

With the fuel rail back on, regulator mounted and bulk heads to the surge tank fitted I started to make up the main and return fuel lines so I could get the car back on the ground. I wanted the fuel lines to hug the underneath as much as possible, but with the stainless braided being quite abrasive I was worried that it would rub on the steel causing all sorts of shit. I ended up ordering 10m of 20mm clear heat shrink to cover the fuel lines to act as an insulator.

img_1166.jpg?w=660

Hard to tell from the picture below, but the lines have been covered in the heat shrink.

img_1168.jpg?w=660

Underside and engine bay side of things were all sorted, dropped the car back on the ground and began working in the boot to finish it off. Purchased a rivnut gun to mount the tank and fuel pump as well as the block off plate. With those mounted I could make up the remaining fuel lines, so after mocking a few lines up and getting an idea of what fittings I needed to purchase, it was done!

img_1193.jpg?w=660

img_1192.jpg?w=660

Primed up the surge tank and checked for any leaks, which there were none, so plugged the Bosch 044 pump in and checked for any leaks in that circuit, which there was, and see where the fuel pressure was set at. I had to tighten one fitting a touch more, and replace a copper washer on the fuel rail. No leaks, but the fuel pressure was still at 5 bar (what the reg was set to out of the box, atleast I know it can handle 5 bar!) so I dropped that down to 3bar.

So a few weeks later it went out to Hitech Motorsport again to have the engine tuned on the Link Atom G4+. Got them to setup 2 boost maps to switch between, low boost is 9psi, and high is 16psi. Green line is high boost and pink is the low.

img_1205.jpg?w=660

img_1206.jpg?w=660

Power curve gets a little peaky on the high boost map after 6500 compared to the low boost which holds the power right through to 7500. Could be to do with the boost dropping a 1psi or so up there, or maybe turbo inefficiency? Still plenty of power though! Probably need one of those fancy new billet comp wheel turbos to spool things up quicker. Saying that, and even though boost graph looks dull, it doesn't feel like there is any lag. You can put your foot down in any gear and it will pull hard, and the power curve definitely confirms that.

• Like 7

Not sure if I posted these wheels up before, but here they are. They're a Dunlop TE, 14x6.5j. Got them quite cheap off Trademe. They have an unsually big center in them for a 14" wheel, almost a like a 15" center with 14" shells, which I quite like because my SSR MK2's have a small center and you cant see any of the brakes behind them. Anyway, decided to widen these too. Here they are with the raw 3.5" shell from Gavin Bateman after drilling a new PCD through the lot.

img_10131-e1434263585711.jpg?w=800

Had the lips and spokes polished, centers painted.

img_1117-e1434263086302.jpg?w=800

img_1120-e1434263642267.jpg?w=800

Would love to have a full set of these!

img_1632-e1434264277502.jpg?w=960

• Like 6