Zeubin's 1972 Datsun 240z

flyingbrick

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was this a super score as far as purchase price goes? Like, did you feel like a criminal after you took it away?

I definitely got her for less than what she's worth based on the red/orange one from Tauranga that sold on Trademe a month or so ago for $26460. which left me with extra budget should anything go south from here.

I definitely felt guilty, not quite criminal haha

• Like 1

Definately a score for one that tidy! The interior looks amazing!

Love that it still has factory radiator hoses etc. Probaby better get them replaced soon before they pop.

Rereg should be a breeze aswell!

Is it 4speed or 5 speed?

Great motor, you're a lucky man!

With regard to the clutch, a method I was advised to use on my Triumph 2500TC that hadn't moved in 20 years was this:

• Jack up the rear end of the car and support securely!
  • Start the car in gear, you may need a higher one.
  • push in the clutch
  • accelerate to reasonable speed
  • grow a third leg or alternatively heel toe the brake and accelerator
  • basically the rear brakes should slow the wheels enough that the torque of the engine will free the clutch.
  • Try not to cook the brakes if it doesn't go instantly
  • Slip the clutch a bit to clean the surfaces and all should be good

When I did mine the speedo was hitting about 60-70mph in 4th when it shifted!  :-)

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Keep them posts a comin, it looks immaculate. Please do not change interior.

Where is the rust? There must me some, its a Datsun.

That fuel flap - cool that you have it but seems completely pointless. If you actually spill petrol it will surely just run down that and onto the car.

• Like 1

I will be ordering in some reproduction upholstery seat recover kits in red from the Z store in the USA which are apparently a very close match. The seats have been repaired with different material so it looks a bit piecemeal up close. just gonna replace the lot in one go.

Rust is in behind the front guards and a tiny bit on the top of the right front guard.

Floor panels, tail hatch, dogleg, battery box, spare wheel well are all sweet as.

Haha yeah the flap helps to a point. I have experienced this already!

WOW!!!! This car is wicked. I love the red interior but then I would say that. I also lve the white/cream exterior. My pet hate is old cars with metallic paint jobs. This one just looks so right. You lucky bugger.

I really must pop in and say hello to Eve, the dear old lady with the totally mint 260 2 seater sitting in her garage that Hannah and I got back on the road for her. Its just sitting collecting dust.....

"hi Eve, we were just passing through and thought we'd pop in and see how you're doing. Here's some cake Hannah made. Oh btw- hows that old Datsun of yours...."

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

did you get it on the ground and take it for a drive yet????

No :( doesn't run properly and needs another exhaust gasket. The wait goes on... but GETTING SO CLOSE!

Will get your stands back after I put in the new gasket

No :( doesn't run properly and needs another exhaust gasket. The wait goes on... but GETTING SO CLOSE!

Will get your stands back after I put in the new gasket

i just want you to drive it!!!! did you order an exhaust gasket? there is a gasket shop up the road next to the car wash maybe able to make one for you if you have no luck?

i just want you to drive it!!!! did you order an exhaust gasket? there is a gasket shop up the road next to the car wash maybe able to make one for you if you have no luck?

YOU want me to drive it? ME WANTS ME TO DRIVE IT! haha yeah ordered one in, should be here on monday, but won't be able to drive properly on 3 cylinders and don't want to cook it or nuffin. I can be a little bit more patient. She's going to the doctors (Speedwell) on Wednesday :)

• Like 1

YOU want me to drive it? ME WANTS ME TO DRIVE IT! haha yeah ordered one in, should be here on monday, but won't be able to drive properly on 3 cylinders and don't want to cook it or nuffin. I can be a little bit more patient. She's going to the doctors (Speedwell) on Wednesday :)

wicked stuff!!!!! going to be super cool to get it back from speedwell!

• Like 1