VG's 1974 RD250 (with 350 guts) RING A DING

Vintage Grumble

Was talking to my wife's brothers wife's ex-husband a while back, talking shit about bikes, and told him i'd love a mid 70's two stroke road bike, he said he had an RD I could buy off him. So I did, as it was the bargain of the century/an offer I couldn't refuse. So I now have a slightly dismantled 74 RD250A, with a rebuilt 350. He used the 250 casings, so all the number match/there's no way to tell its got 350 guts. It also has the original plate on the back, so shouldn't be a problem to re-reg it. It came with a piss load of spares, is there is nearly two complete bikes. I'll slap up some pics later, but this is what it will one day look like: (without the front leg protectors and rack on the back, and with a front disc and churer handle bars)

yamaha-rd-250-1974-reliquia-16686-MLB201

PRETTY FUCKING EXCITED. 

Regards, NZDMAE86.

• Like 6

I told myself I wouldn't touch it until the ute was done, but I couldn't help myself. Started on the important bits, like water blasting, cleaning, and shining up the chrome.

The bike as I got it.

IMG_20150411_143652499_zpsazrp3jqp.jpg

Boxes of bits, rebuilt engine, and spare rims (2x front and 1x rear) and the Tank from the 74 350.

IMG_20150411_143551580_zpsszeqzlbh.jpg

IMG_20150411_143631155_zpsgn9gwnd4.jpg

The spare rims were in the best nick, so shined them up, ready for new seals/bearings/tyres.

IMG_20150412_101233049_zps6ecxcfm1.jpg

Its not been legal, since 93.

IMG_20150411_143709689_zpsbplcbtqp.jpg

Innards of pipes, they are going to get acid dipped, as they are like 70% blocked. Unbelievable amounts of carbon came out of the pipes, was quite lol worthy. 

IMG_20150412_114137680_zpsqmzpwh6w.jpg

The bike seems to be 99% complete, think I just need a head light surround, and tank badges to finish it off. The plan is to give it a quick clean up visually, and replace all the seals, bearings, pads etc, and get it legal. I'll give it a proper restore in the future.

The only things i'm going to change are to fit modern tyres, flatter bars, and some nice pipes, as I quite like the look of it.

Regards, VG.

• Like 3

This one was also going to be a race bike, until the owner realized the LC version had a much lighter frame, so he built one of them up for pre 81's instead. The few guys who I've talked to who have ridden them, reckon they are quite fast for what they are and handle pretty well, so should be quick enough to frighten me.

Nice score!

My understanding is that it is only the barrels /pistons and heads that make a 250 = 350 bottom end is essentially the same (apart from primary gear and oil pump gear which is an easy swap.)

Common as mod back in the day.

• Like 1

Nice score!

My understanding is that it is only the barrels /pistons and heads that make a 250 = 350 bottom end is essentially the same (apart from primary gear and oil pump gear which is an easy swap.)

Common as mod back in the day.

Yeh, that's what the guys done, just swapped the barrels/pistons. He also used a selector from the 350 as the 250 one was a bit sticky. He also smoothed off the CC rating on the barrels so they no longer say 350.

man that is an awesome bike, and will be worth squillions when done! My mate had exacdtly the same bike in 350 form and man it was quick!

That's why I was suspicious of the price, thought it would be a complete POS, turns out its not too bad. He has quite a few projects, and decided this would never get done/he no longer races bikes, so sold it to me. And everyone knows i'm good as at finishing projects. 

• 3 years later...