Chris R's various honda thread including punishing modern non os daily driver updates

chris r

I did this a wee while ago on the 2300 which only came with an aftermarket ignition key.

Such a good feeling getting the locks working by swapping those fiddly little things around to suit the random key from the bottom of the crap drawer in the kitchen that fit in the hole :)

Hoonda looks like my 18yo dream car on those 17s

• Like 1

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fuck yeah it is really satisfying!

The 17s kinda suit the rough bombed black look. Long term plan (it probably wont happen) is to paint it the original colour and put the 15s or 14s back on. 

But first of all i'll get it to engage vtec, daily it for a while to find any niggles and stick it on the dyno to get tuned. Then probably crash it

• 2 weeks later...

I drove the crx to work for a week and it behaved nicely. It has a intermittent stumble/hesitation when taking off and won't engage vtec. I've checked the wiring side of things for the vtec and it's all good. No fault codes at all which is good and annoying. I'll rangi up a oil pressure gauge in the rail so I can keep a eye on the fuel pressure so see if that is causing the hesitation. my gut feeling is a loose/poor connection or broken wire somewhere in the loom.

I have found a supplier (r.s components) that carries the ecu plugs, turns out that they are fairly common things.  I'm planning on getting some cable from work and re doing the engine loom on this as a practice run then re do the shuttle loom (and the rx7). There are a few joints and potential failure points so if it's all new I won't have to worry that side of things. Thoughts on using a 2 pair shielded cable for tps & map, I know running current through the shield is a no no if it needs to be shielded but if it comes out of the factory with three single cables it should be fine right?

The TE Connectivity part numbers for the ecu plugs are 174514-6, 174515-7, and 174516-7. The terminals are 175061-1 and 175026-1. They seem similar to the fd rx7 ecus and some others but I can't remember what model car it is.

I was lazy and swapped coolant temp sensors. I checked the tps settings and they were slightly out. It is heaps nicer from a standstill but will still hesitate and no vtec. Tomorrow I'll tap the bung in the fuel rail and put a pressure sensor in it to check that side of things. 

It'd be nice if I had a wideband but I don't so I'll check everything else 

I drilled and tapped the fuel rail bung so I can chuck a pressure sensor in it to see if something is playing up. Slapped some goopy loctite on and I'll leave it overnight to chooch.

A blind man wouldn't be happy to see that shit. Not quite at ms paint/graph level of datalogging but we'll get there one day

P1040895P1040896

• Like 1

I rangid the gauge in with only the best twisting and taping I could manage. No leaks which is good, only 20 psi which isn't.. Its meant to be about 40, I'll pull the vacuum line off the regulator tomorrow and see how it goes. I'll organise a fuel filter and see if that helps. If not I'll pull the tank out and have a look. I REALLY hope it is just the filter and not the tank sealing kit coming off and clogging stuff

• Like 1

@AALAWS was up in Auckland and pulled the screen out of the shuttle, we tried to pull the spare out of the parts car but it broke/was a bit shit anyway so I'll have to get a new one. there was a spot of rust starting in the passengers a pillar so I'm glad I got it taken out. 

On the crx front the reason its not vteccing is the tuner didn't enable it and I forgot he told me. All is well there.I only have to chase the low fuel pressure problem now. I took the vacuum line off the regulator and the pressure jumped up to about 35 psi at idle which is juuust within spec. I know the gauge isn't totally accurate but its a good indicator. I'll try a fresh fuel filter and hopefully that fixes the issue. I put a new one on but that was before the tank got cleaned so it is possibly full of crap. Once I have done that and driven it for another week I'll see how the finances are and possibly book it in for a tune

Fuel filter Didn't fix the low pressure issue in the crx. Time to pull the tank out again.  I tried powering the pump to empty the tank and I got about 4 litres out before it started cavitating so something isn't happy there

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I thought maybe the baffle/fuel pump bowl was gummed up or the pump was too high. Nope to both of them. I drained the tank through a filtering tea towel and there is heaps of shit. There is a stabbed tank at pick a part so I'm thinking about getting that and braising/patching up the hole.

P1040900

P1040899

P1040901

• 2 weeks later...

I saw there was a crx at Zebra so I popped out today and got a rear bumper and a dash. I got the bumper installed and it looks heaps better. Dash will wait until later. 

There is a crashed crx down the road , I've left my number on it so hopefully they contact me and I can grab it for all the interior stuff I need 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chris r said:

I saw there was a crx at Zebra so I popped out today and got a rear bumper and a dash. I got the bumper installed and it looks heaps better. Dash will wait until later. 

There is a crashed crx down the road , I've left my number on it so hopefully they contact me and I can grab it for all the interior stuff I need 

for a laugh I thought id have a look on trade me and see if I could find any semi un punished CRX's... turns out they all got punished so bad there are none. 

I'm real shocked when did the horse bolt with them ? 

CR-X's are lush. I looked for one (after reading this thread) a while ago and found nothing either....

There are two stock looking ones buzzing around Wanaka but haven't been able to corner the owners yet.

My old one was silver but always thought they looked gnarly in black.

I wants one.

I've been looking on and off for a few years and ended up with this one. I messed out on a minter last year by a few hours.  I think they were relatively cheap a few years ago  and as they go hard for what they are they have all been fucked 

• Like 1