Chris R's various honda thread including punishing modern non os daily driver updates

chris r

I tidied the garage today and found another intake pipe that is just a straight section and a bend, I've got no idea how I managed to forget that but never mind.

The block adaptor and the turbo drain got welded today. Thanks again to jason for doing that. I dropped the flywheel off to get skimmed and should have that and a clutch by the end of the week so I just have to put it back in the hole

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I should have the clutch back tomorrow and I can make a start on getting the crx back to a drivable state. 

My friend popped over and clocked the turbo so the drain is sitting nicer. No idea why I never thought about... Learning is why we do this right? He also had a good idea on downpipe routing so when  get the shuttle back from the panel beater I can make a start on that. 

• Like 1

The clutch kit turned up this morning. We were having fun measuring the input spline on the gearbox to figure out what diameter it was. We guessed the smaller diameter and guessed wrong. Ill double check the release bearing and get the right ones send out. 

The gearbox in the crx is out of a facelift da integra, it has a cable release but can fit the newer hydraulic release internals in it. So It has bigger synchroes, more options for ratios and there are more factory lsd centres available. 

I fitted the flywheel and release bearing today, the (hopefully) correct plate will arrive tomorrow so I can put it back together after nats. 

IMG_20170322_124711398

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Clutch plate arrived and I installed it today. I've found some koni shocks cheap and they arrived last week. I took them into stocks and got them checked, turns out they have been revalved so score on that. I'll need to get new forks and top hats to fit the larger diameter shock bodies. 

• Like 2

Fuck yeah I got clutch centered on the first attempt and the gearbox went on without a fight for the first time ever. I chucked the starter and loom on as its way easier out of the car.

IMG_20170405_104438110IMG_20170405_104453542

I got the power steer hoses out and the integra b series hose hard line is quite different, I tried to bend the hard line but it was starting to kink. Decided to stop being a jew and get it done nicely. I've dropped both hoses off and hopefully will get a new piece of hose with the integra pump end attached to the shuttle/civic hard line bit spendy but its the best option I can think of.

The integra hard line is on top, thats after some bending

IMG_20170405_105449494

The pump ends are different too, top Is d series (sohc) and bottom is what I need for my pump

IMG_20170405_105452617

I started off fitting  the power steer cooler lines. I'll probably regret putting the motor in without getting the high pressure line in but that's future chris problem. 

IMG_20170406_123006224

I got the motor and box in today. That was the easy part.

IMG_20170406_125012595

https://flic.kr/p/Tx1iiE

Because the gearbox is bigger the rear mount was a fuck around. It took longer to file the Mount to fit than to get the motor in. I ended up chopping it and filing it lots. 

IMG_20170406_152628589

One of the previous owner stripped one of the front mount bolts and replaced it with what I suspect is a imperial bolt. Guess what I've lost. No idea where I put all the bolts when everything came out. I'll have a tidy tomorrow and see what I can find. 

I started sorting/tidying the bolts I had today and found the front engine mount,. That's fitted along with shifter and both driveshafts. Still have to figure out what to do with the fuel tank vent... I am thinking drill a hole in the fuel pump bracket and put some hard line through, yes its not the highest point in the tank but its pretty close. I sorted the brake line mounting today for the front shocks, they are fatter diameter than the old ones so the old brackets wont work.

IMG_20170407_165723298_HDR

Looks mostly factory from a distance

IMG_20170407_183657959

Someone once accused me of being a bush mechanic... I wonder why

I went full barry today and made up a vent for the tank. I was trying to work out a way of suspending a hose at the highest point of the tank that was actually going to be achievable. I then realized the tank is not usable as it sits so its as good as fucked so I cant fuck it more right? I drilled a bolt and soldered a piece of brake line in the head, ground and filed down the end so the vent hose would fit and bolted/epoxied it in.

IMG_20170408_142322723

Soldered it up, I did it three times in the end, this is the first or second attempt. I didnt have flux so just heaps of thick electronic solder. seemed to hold ok when I dropped it and pried off it

IMG_20170408_142919257

I then epoxied a washer onto the bolt and tied a handy bin string to it to pull it through. I did put some expoxy on the washer facing the tank in a attempt to seal it if it isnt perfectly flat.

IMG_20170408_162308078

I eyeballed the length of the hard line and it turned out pretty good.

P1040839

There is the ugliness from the outside, it should clear the floor (hopefully)

P1040831

Yes it is rough and a bit shit but you can see at the top of the tank where the sealant didn't quite stick/I didnt get all the rust out, so I am sort of expecting it to fail again at a inconvenient moment but I'll take a gamble after all that work and don't want to spend more money 

Hindsight says I should of found a s/h tankor gone for a new rock auto one and put it in the van (I found one for cheaper than the por15 kit AFTER I purchased the kit) and not bothered with all this mucking around for a potentially still crappy fuel tank. There is a reason I was given a estimate of 300-400 to clean and seal the tank. Its quite a lot of effort! I think the por15 kit is more intended for the older less baffled carby tanks

• Like 1

Today's fun is exhaust /extractors. What's the point in having 2.5 " piping with a smaller resonator/flange? May as well of left it stock. I'll get 2.5" reso and flexi tomorrow and someone who can actually weld will hot glue it all together. 

IMG_20170409_123448354_HDRIMG_20170409_123448354_HDRIMG_20170409_123438570

Now that the exhaust is out of the way the fuel tank will be lots easier to install so I'll get that in this 

The power steer hose was done today so I went in and collected it. The guy put some swivel connectors on the end of the flexi line which was a stroke of pure genius. I would never of got it back in with the hose attached. It went in easier than it came out! I need to bolt up the universal at the end of the steering column and I can finish bleeding it. The hose is a tad too long but its better than being too short. 

IMG_20170410_161429461

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The externally adjustable konis need a fatter crush tube where it passes through the top hat. Because I'm a jew and didn't want to buy new ones I got some crush tubes off the radius arms and shortened them. The rear shocks are nearly ready to go in. 

I also did a couple of small things today, Fitted some more clips on the brake lines and put the rotor retaining screws in

I made a bit more clearance between the gearbox and body, hopefully it hits less now. Time will tell. I'll be able to see exactly where it is hitting now that its got a quick coat of paint thrown at it. Yes its sfa clearance now but its not touching now which is better than before

IMG_20170420_172403915

Power steer pump etc all in and hopefully bled 

IMG_20170420_165600452_HDR

• Like 2

Rear suspension is in and the front is finger tight so I can roll it out of the garage tomorrow. I am much happier with how the rear is sitting now, its a tad higher than with the other shocks which is good. That silly side skirt needs to go but I think i'll wait untill a piece of ground takes it off and deal with it then

Ive gotten used to it being on axle stands and I forgot how low/small it actually is

IMG_20170421_224232821

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I know the sta bends are a bit shit but they are cheap so for that reason alone I like them. I've ordered a couple of resonators and some pipe to go with the rx7 stuff and I'll re do the exhaust. I thought about getting the new headers to fit the existing system but it'll be nearly as much work as redoing it in 2.5 vs who knows what size it is now.

Token photo of stuff before I butcher/ruin it

IMG_20170505_153506798

• Like 1

My arc has died so I can't even tack the exhaust together, i'm waiting for a gasless mig to be dropped off at some point so I can carry on with the exhaust.

I've never been 100% happy with the engine loom in the shuttle and its starting to get old/show that i've butchered it a few times. I have found some of the honda specific plugs on ebay so when I get it back I'll work out how many I need and order them and re do the engine loom from scratch so it is all new and as good as I can get it

I popped in and visited my old boss and a few sharns later and a quick trip to his other workshop I was able to borrow his mig. 

I used the new shorter flexi and I can fit both resonators in and they (just) clear the shifter which is good. Its probably a bit overkill but I'm getting a bit old man spec with noisy exhausts. And besides intake noise is better anyway right?

the resos are tacked into place, I'll figure out the bends after a break

IMG_20170509_145006945
  • Like 2

The mid section is welded (horribly) up and painted in high temp paint to hide the uglyness. I really need to stop buying cars and get a camera. I got lucky with the hangers and it sits nicely and is relatively balanced. I need to make a trip to zebra and get the stock exhaust manifold exhaust support bracket. I gave away my spare 02 sensor and got rid of all my other spares when I had a tidy up so I'll have to wait until the whole lot is done before I hear how loud it is or isnt

IMG_20170509_170234204

was impatient after dinner and TV wasn't worth watching so I went out to the garage. I've figured out a few lengths and tacked it together. I need to tweak the angle of the last bend a tad so it's roughly parallel with the bottom of the tank. I've got a couple bends left to butcher so I can clear the control arm and then I can try salvage what's left of the muffler 

IMG_20170509_203056270IMG_20170509_203144312

Little bit more progress this morning. I tried cutting up a old 90 I had so it'd clear the control arm, I ended up using one of the new bends. I take back what I said about liking them now the sta bends are pretty frustrating to work with. I must of had some really old sta bends in stock which werent as bad.

After a few million test fits and mucking around I got there

IMG_20170511_113242382IMG_20170511_113550522IMG_20170511_113526980

The hanger even lines up nicely which is a complete fluke.

The pipe is fairly close to the tank so I'll use my leftover wrap to be doubly safe. Its about time for a nap so I'll figure out the muffler etc after lunch and a sleep

• Like 2