Chris R's various honda thread including punishing modern non os daily driver updates

chris r

Massive thanks to Evan for your help yesterday! It would of taken me about a week to achieve what we did in a few hours! 

The accord radius arms look like the will work nicely on the shuttle . It look like I may have to extend the thread for the lock nut as the accord thread ends sooner than the ef. A rough option could be using some washers 
yYbGIon.jpg
TnFmOe7.jpg

We also replaced the trailing arm bush and wheel cylinder. No pics but noone wants to look at a flakey old bush... 

Thought I may as well put the mg rotors on which I've had sitting for about a year. They are 282mm, the right offset for prelude calipers and even fit the stock retaining screws. I had 280mm mini rotors on before but they are slightly thinner and the wheel studs holes are larger so there is potiental for the rotor to move.

bDPg0Qv.jpg

Motor and box came out if crx so at some point I'll drop both boxes off and get one good lsd box back. 

ZqaGEP9.jpg

1S2RZb7.jpg

• Like 2

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had enough brain power to do the timing belt, flywheel, and hang the turbo. I'm thinking the drain might be too low but I'll wait until the fittings arrive. I'll have to work out a bracket or mounting for the waste gate as the existing mountings put the outlet at the block or the ground.

TZM8sBq.jpg

Hly shit thats a horrible photo. I'll have to find my camera tomorrow

This thread is both for the crx & shuttle so that explains the confusion, The Crx is getting the b18cr (dohc red rocker cover) and the shuttle is getting the turbo single cam.

The manifold is off a newer civic and originally had the cat bolted right onto it. I have a adapter flange to suit the turbo.

The hole is the original O2 sensor location, I may use it if its not too hot but otherwise I have some bungs on their way

I have thought about that but the internal wastegate is the easier option for now. Flow wise it'd probably be less than ideal if I opened up that hole.

Edit: The wastegate actuator fits between the turbo and block so thats why you can't see it, (or it fell off)

• Like 1

I cut and squared up the nuts for the accord radius arms, ill use the chopped off parts as spacers until I can find a die in the right thread pitch. I took about 15mm off so well see how much caster adjument we get. 

Ness dad has some alloy bar so I'll measure up where I need to mount the waste gate play with the lathe again. I knew I kept ness around for something:p

XeZsViz.jpg
xnHtnVU.jpg
HMTLO3m.jpg 

• Like 1

its m12 x 1 I think.

I got the radius arms in the shuttle today with a bit of filing of the holes, The new bushes are way stiffer than the old fucked rubber ones. 

I had a look at taking the rack out of the subframe and a friend was over and he asked why don't you just swap the whole subframe. They are all the same it seems, its threaded for both mounts. Subframe is bolted in and tomorrow I'll finish off re attaching the control arms and swaybar. 

The tank is still fucked in the crx, According to the Internets the shuttle tanks can fit the crx/hatches. It doesn't. The filler is on the wrong place, the pump is on the opposite side and last of all it doesn't even fit and hangs too low so at the first bump it'll rip open. Rock auto has a new tank reasonably priced so I'll get a estimate for shipping it home.

itBQIcm.jpg

I was tidying up and had a look at the headers and noticed lots of carbon around the flange... I had a quick check with the gasket on the head and back on the headers and they are way off. There is a huge lip inside them where the pipe meets the flange. I'll attack it with the die grinder and see how much better I can get it. the collector pipe is also only 2" so I'll chop that off and put a bit of 2.5 on it

BsAbp0A.jpg

g0k2Bsu.jpg

I got some aluminium braizing rods and gave them a hoon today. Turned out ok after a session with the flap disc. It'll be interesting to see how it holds up/if it leaks or turns to shit. 

I did some work on the interfooler piping, I had lots of joiners initially so have cut down slightly on them.

P1040791P1040793P1040792P1040795P1040797

I might have to squash or reduce the 90 bend down to 2" to clear the bumper, I'll find out soon enough

• Like 1

One thing that really winds me up is when people say oh you've got a red top. Its not a 4age or a 202. So I ordered some wrinkle paint. I'm pretty happy with the outcome, we are now having pizza for dinner as someone made the kitchen smell of paint. I just need to carefully sand the raised letters and its good to go

IMG_20170221_195105329

IMG_20170221_185716329IMG_20170221_195105329

• Like 8

I re did the interfooler piping and yes I can fit some 2.5" piping behind the bumper without chopping it too much.

Also Yes you can braise aluminium with a mapp torch and the aluminium braising rods but it is a bit shit tbh. Not much penetration at all and most of the joints leak, looking back I should of just tacked stuff together with it and given it to someone to weld. 

• Like 1

I dropped the gearbox to the gearbox guy. He is a proper Barry, gone all the way through to really good & useful. Read the codes and told me what they were out of etc. His shop is so full of stuff he was working on his recycling bin.

He stripped and assessed both boxes and let me know the results.  The box from the crx is pretty water damaged, all the bearings are sad and second is pretty rusted. He could use second out of the other box I supplied but it's a bit longer which isn't ideal, there should be one floating around so I'm hoping he can find one

Hmm good idea, I guess the problem is with my mapp torch the heat is fairly spread and the work piece gets too hot and the braising stuff just runs off or puddles. 

I thought it is my technique too. I don't really trust the braising long term as it's quite thin and very hard. 

• Like 1