Chris R's various honda thread including punishing modern non os daily driver updates

chris r

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tickled? Shit you'd be locked up if you Tickled your Mrs like that.1200 is pretty rough as a pay out.

I am hoping mine gets repaired. I went into a couple of panel beaters this morning and eventual got someone friendly and helpful. Someone from alpine happened to be in on his day off and was really friendly. I'll pick up the estimate next week and go from there

• Like 4

I have started assembling the engine. I've done the crank and spark plug seals, fitted the head studs ,gasket and head. I've started fitting the water pump pipe and thermostat housing. Put the vtec solenoid on. I'll get some assembly lube next week and put the valve train in. The crank girdle needed a bit of grinding so the rod ends will not hit it. I shouldn't be bending/damaging those rods any time soon. I've dummy fitted the churbo (still need to sort out gaskets for it). TOmorrow I'll clean the oil lines and figure out that plumbing. I'll dig up a service manual and check out the oil pump clearances and give it a port. I have two oil pumps so I'll practice on one first.
IMG_20160312_140845253_zpsuiklqppp.jpgIMG_20160312_152206052_zps9wams4w2.jpgIMG_20160312_152420563_HDR_zpsb3xthpxf.jIMG_20160312_154631997_HDR_zpsdyaejsi6.jIMG_20160312_160651344_HDR_zpsdgzhrqsy.jIMG_20160312_165359515_HDR_zpsbkfjxuxv.j

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Not quite shuttle related but I got another honda, Figured I'd keep them both in this thread. 

I missed my old crx so much I needed to get another. I had a look at this one earlier this year and couldn't justify spending the money. I texted the guy and he still had it and was interested in selling it.

It needs a bit of work to be legal but its mostly straight and rust free. It has a b18c out of a integra type R. goes like a cut cat mayte. First thing to go was the bonnet, Alternator wasn't charging so I got someone to whip it out and tested it. I've replaced the regulator as everything else checked out ok. The wiring isnt the tidiest but thats easy enough to sort out. I have pulled out the leaky d2 adjusties and stuck stock stuff in for now. The wheels are on tardme as they are too big and i've put some on from my hoard. I have a stock radiator to replace the alloy one. Also have a muffler to replace the bigbore.

Today I put the stock front struts in and a replacement bonnet catch panel. Surprisingly the one off my parts shuttle fitted (after a few pieces of encouragement from the hammer)

IMG_20160203_142406285.jpg.8e40119588bac

IMG_20161127_145232270_zpszpme0ftr.jpgIMG_20161127_161505362_zpsk4qkzszo.jpgIMG_20161127_164120686_zpsfxrl6ufn.jpg

• Like 2

Not that I have noticed. It has had a respray at some point. Is it a good or bad thing if its the car you think it is haha

Depends how you look at it haha.

One of the guys at work and his grandfather built a fairly beat up black one of these CRXs with a b18cR with the intention of using it in a race series -but got kicked out before being able to race it properly

Was on steels and semi slicks, and had the Shiitest looking vtec valve cover they could find at pick apart to discuise the motor/ tipped diesel over the block ect once it was in the car.

Went like a cut cat but looked like the motor ect had been in the car since day one.

Also had re valved/changed dampening/rebound in factory shock body's.

Thing was stupid awesome for what looked like a standard shit box (only thing that gave it away if you looked at it was harness mounts/harnesses

But they sold it a couple of years ago

• Like 1

Always liked the 2nd generation CRX.

Only Honda I've had is my current Jazz, reliable as, 136kms in 8 years, been from Kerikeri to Bluff and never missed a beat. :-)

Could do with more power and better suspension, but it's only a nana car for the school run.

I have the same complaints about my jazz too. Apparently k20s fit...

Depends how you look at it haha.

One of the guys at work and his grandfather built a fairly beat up black one of these CRXs with a b18cR with the intention of using it in a race series -but got kicked out before being able to race it properly

Was on steels and semi slicks, and had the Shiitest looking vtec valve cover they could find at pick apart to discuise the motor/ tipped diesel over the block ect once it was in the car.

Went like a cut cat but looked like the motor ect had been in the car since day one.

Also had re valved/changed dampening/rebound in factory shock body's.

Thing was stupid awesome for what looked like a standard shit box (only thing that gave it away if you looked at it was harness mounts/harnesses

But they sold it a couple of years ago

This has some 'interesting' wiring going on but everything else seems ok. It looks like someone had fitted a later model hydraulic clutch setup put in in the past.

It still has the factory belts etc in it. I got the bonnet off a guy who knew about its history so I'll ask him and see what he knows

Dylan popped over the other day and helped me get the bonnet shutting and the stock lower mounts in the right place. Before the rad goes in I need to steal the loom from the parts beagle for radfans horn and air temp sensor. I'll need to pull the dash out to get it out.
The engine loom is a mess of chopped up factory crx and integra. So so fix it I've got a sohc vtec loom from a eg civic. The reason I'm using that loom is its cheap from zebra and it has the correct Ecu plugs for a chippable tunable factory Ecu.
received_884340628367797_zps4hglauze.jpe
First I de soldered the Ecu plugs from the beagle. Identified the feeds etc and soldered them on. I could chop the plugs up and solder directly onto the existing loom but I prefer to be able to remove it.
The wires at the other side of the loom have been identified and labeled. Next step is to test what's left of the loom on the crx and find the required stuff.
received_884340625034464_zps3ksfn5p3.jpereceived_884340635034463_zpsr6fakung.jpe

• Like 3

Spend 5 or so hours playing wiring today. I have the store key Fuse box in the Bay mostly reconnected and most of the replacement loom is soldered in on the drivers side. The reverse and brake lights should work now. The old engine loom is completely gone and so is the wiring for the gauges. I found a shift light behind the center vents too.

Another boring picture less update. Engine side of the body loom is all soldered up except for one wire. Rad fan wiring all works and now turns off whith the key.

Battery jump-start/positive terminal in the bay has been moved and tidied up. Horn no worky, though I had fixed it but had no power to test. I've got a list going and seem to tick off one thing and add another on it. Oh and got a new mount and brake master cylinder. The booster has flaking paint and there was sfa fluid in it. It's quicker and easier to throw a new master at it.

Slowly getting stuff done

• Like 1

Loom is getting closer to being finished, I'll sort out all my photos soon. I've found a spare dizzy too which is on its way tomorrow. Hopefully that'll need minimal work to sort. I've got some (slightly) bigger injectors and the tuner has the ecu. I was testing the wiring before pluugging anything in and realised I had looked at the wrong side of the ecu plug. I got a bit pissed and chopped it off and hardwired it all in. Ive started to tape everything up and 3 rolls of tape later i'm not done.

The list of things is getting smaller! 

New (to the car) loom from zebra

received_884340628367797_zps4hglauze.jpe

What a good position for a shift light... 

15321713_10154361789378999_263841682_o_z

The old integra loom and battery cable routing.. I wonder why whoever did this went through the evaporator box instead of the drain/other two loom holes

15388772_10154361789358999_620429137_o_z

Pulled the old wiring and gauge mounting ply out, I have a aircon control to put in its place so hopefully that works. All I want to be able to have a windscreen demister so I might end up being rangi with the vents but thats laters problem

15369790_10154361789383999_946501740_o_z

There was a start button as the standard ignition switch was worn/haggard. I stole one out of the parts honda and it was also intermittent. Because I'm cheap I pulled it apart and put some solder on the contacts and filed them nice again, it works perfect now.

15368706_10154361790933999_560850091_o_z

I've finished this loom and taped it up, This is a part way shot. I have also put the battery jumpsart post in a easier to reach place

15321628_10154361789398999_2032887314_o_

15311454_888213397980520_1906909182_o%20

I've ordered some bends so I can ditch the bigbore, Yes they are cheap sta ones but chase/autobend wanted significantly more for theirs. Probably quoted retail but nevermind. I'm planning on redoing the exhaust at some point in the future. All going well my ignition parts should turn up from rock auto this week. and I can then either fix the spare dizzy or this one.

I have added and crossed some stuff off the list. I find the list good as I can focus on one thing instead of trying to do everything at once. Nearly onto mechanical stuff. I have pumped most of the stale fuel out of the tank so I'll have to remember to put some in before a test-drive. It has a puk clutch at the moment and some rumbly bearings. I have a lsd out of ness old integra, According to the internets I can use later model (hydro clutch) internals in this gearbag so hopefully it'll all fit

15354085_888219014646625_1033803172_o_zp

• Like 2