Chris R's various honda thread including punishing modern non os daily driver updates

chris r

Nearly everything is tacked into place, one more hanger to do and I'll have to tack the piping into the reso and I can bust out my seagull skills. 

Rear section to muffler 

IMG_20170511_141558495

Everything joined up

IMG_20170511_141558495

I got flash and chucked a v band on it so I could actually fit in the bloody car 

IMG_20170511_145549110

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, flyingbrick said:

Looks great man!

Thanks dude, it's taken me a couple of days to get here. 

Haha it won't be looking as good after I finish welding it up. I'm thinking I'll start on the top side noone will see so by the time it's ready to do the bottom I'll be less shit 

It looked better before I welded it.. I need more practice clearly but it'll do. Two resos in the middle make it a tad heavy, it's fairly balanced as the Hangers are in the middle so well see how they last. 

IMG_20170512_175834572

Part way through the muffler 

IMG_20170512_180445451

• Like 1

It takes too long to grind it all back, I tried with one section and quickly gave up. The neighbors don't want to listen to hours of that noise anyway.

Its all done now, the muffler isn't quite level but I've run out of caring to be honest. I gave it a good shake and it doens't hit anything which is good. I'm waiting on a o2 sensor and I then I can drive it

IMG_20170512_203305849

IMG_20170512_220210967

I noticed the passengers side hanger was close to coming off when i was swinging it heaps so I added a bit so it'll stay in place. It got a slight trim so you could actually fit the hanger on

IMG_20170512_213212559

Because everyone knows honda boys love the cock

IMG_20170512_220218748

I've got both haha, I figured I'd have all the gay in one thread. 

Probably confusing but it keeps it together. 

Shuttle is staying single cam and is getting force fed because it's too much of a ball ache to do about series swap. 

The crx is because I was pining one, that had had most of the attention lately 

• Like 1

after the rx packed a sad I stole the battery back and chucked it in the crx. Started it and its nice and quiet and doesn't appear to be leaking, The intake is super loud in comparison now. I'll fit the radiator and weld up the cross member then I can run it for a bit longer. Its getting closer and closer to wof and tune time which means the rx can take its place in the garage

I figured out why the drivers seat was on the piss, the rear mounts have cracked. While I have the welder I'll butcher it. My plan is to use the thicker plate I have and drill/tap a hole so its stronger than factory and hopefully wont crack/fail again.

IMG_20170509_095824908

Piazzanoob popped over to check out the rx7 and we had a look at it then a dragged him over and we fitted and blead the radiator and set the timing. I tightened up the remaining loose front suspension bolts. Just need to get another master cylinder and bleed the brakes and I can take it for a test drive and see what falls off 

It's finally back on its wheels! 

I spent half a day trying to get the new recaros to fit and gave up. I fixed the gsr recaro on the drivers side, the retaining hooks had snapped for the cushion  I figured out what caused it to break on the first place. The recaro bracket made it sit higher on one side. I found some spacers now everything is sitting nicely and it actually feels level now. I'll pop over to my friends on monday and see if I can borrow his welder and I'll weld up the patches I made to reinforce the seat mounts.

I took it for a quick test drive and it intermittently dies when you give it throttle. I initially suspected the igniter was bad so swapped it. No change, I did notice it was happy going up hill so I think it's a bit low on fuel. I think the fuel pump is a bit too high. I thought about checking it but was sick of the tank at that point... Hindsight is 20/20.

Ill get some more fuel tomorrow morning and give it another try. I need to make a bash plate as it hits the headers on the way into the drive.

I forgot to get some photos when I had the seat out, you can see the cable ties and one I forgot to trim.

IMG_20170520_192717721

IMG_20170520_192726236

I re made the heat shield for the air intake as I lost the old pipe, I gave the new intake a bit of a polish. It should tec hard azz now, ite basically the same a a port and polished head right :P 

IMG_20170519_185610959

Handles like a go cart m9 and currently goes like a grazed cat lol. the shitty 175s are hilarious in the wet, even with the slippy viscous lsd it still spins up. It feels pretty good when its behaving but its not the same as my old one. I have the solution to that though in the form of a 2 litre block sitting under the deck. I'll eventually build that up and stick this head on it, it technically needs a cert with a 1.8 so may as well get a cert for a 2 litre. The exhaust is a reasonable volume, brakes feel great and the clutch and gearbox behave nicely so overall i'm pretty happy with it. The plan was to get a wof an tune but that might have to wait for a while as I need to save up to go to my brothers wedding in germany. I'll attempt to refit the passenger seat tomorrow

• Like 1

With more fuel in the tank it's behaving nicely today. I'll have to keep it above half a tank until I can be bothered to drop the tank again.  My guess is the tank sealant has slightly blocked the pump surge bowl and it fills very slowly 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I took the crx for a quick drive to see if i had fixed the grinding noise and I have improved it. The dust shield is hitting the rotor a bit so I'll try tweak it out of the way in the morning. I had another attempt at bleeding the power steering and the pump is quieter now too so I'm happy with that, I think there is still a bit of air in the system though. I just need to replace one indicator bulb and I'll take it for a wof check in the morning. The tyres that came with these wheels are shit and are stupid in the wet. I have some hopefully less bad ones I'll get swapped over until I can afford to replace them with something decent.

It looks so small next to the van.

IMG_20170602_155714586

• Like 4

I remembered ness has some 17s she had on her civic with good tyres so I chucked them on so it wouldn't understeer and kill me. Dylan stripped the shit tyres off the 14s and I'll tidy them up one day. He also chucked it on the alignment machine and it's heaps better to drive now. It is strange driving it as my eye level is about the same as most other cars doorhandles. 

I don't usually like 'bigger' wheels but these are ok and I don't hate them. 

IMG_20170603_090946348

• Like 3

I though I'd have a go at being a locksmith today as I didn't have a key that worked in the doors. It only took a hour which I'm pretty happy with. I had to sacrifice three locks to get the right combination of wafers but we got there in the end.

Barrel out

IMG_20170607_142347412

And coded to the key

IMG_20170607_202131030

I gave it all a grease and will install it soon

I smashed out the passengers side lock in about 15 mins, Luckily I had enough of the right wafers from everything to make it work. It looks like there is no central locking on this so I'll see if I can steal the latch I kept from the parts shuttle and make it fit

• Like 7