Any Sicko Toyota M series people out there????

Seedy Al

hey guys

Just have a few questions about M series engines, and they are not 'is my head gasket blown'

basicely have pulled my 5m out of my crown as it had super low oil pressure, ie, oil light coming on at idle.

have have possibly put this down to an over fuelling issue as the oil that came out of the engine was super thin and had a gassy smell.

Anyway, going to be replacing the bearings, and am keen to replace the oil pump, as I would like that bit of piece of mind.

But, the only oil pump I have located is for a 4m. So does anyone happen to know if a 4m or a 5m are the same???? The site didn't list a pump for a 5m, so really am a bit confused......

Any help would be lovely.

Fucken M series.

fuel pump diaphragm torn and filling the sump with fuel? 

and are you sure its got low oil pressure or could it be the sender? they do that when they fuck out.

if the 4m oil pump is off a late model 4m (square rocker cover rather that the 2m/4m round one) then it will work fine. not 100% sure on the crossover between the newer heads oil flow requirements vs the old round cover type.

tbh it probably won't make a lick of difference. 

i also have  spare 4m if you want it. i know its done 170K and was fine when i pulled it from the car. 

I pulled a main cap off and there is definitely some scoring there so its had low oil pressure at some point. I had not considered fuel pump. But it has always seem to run a bit rich and fuemy. Going to swap the carb with my 18r one as im sure they are the same. Unsure on what model 4m it would cover. what year are we thinking for change over. My 5m is 80s so im pretty sure late 70s as the meu in my old wagon was the same.

The pumps should be interchangeable although pickup angles etc are probably different depending on sump. Preeeety sure the drive gears are the same although I may have swapped them over? The 5MG pumps have longer pump gears than the 4M, dunno about the 5M pump though but I made a new 4M pump out of 5MG parts awhile back and it worked all good.

checked over the website

seems the 4m pump they had losted is for the early stuff, doesn't seem to match up with later efi stuff etc.

I had kinda assumed that its probabaly the shaft length that is different, which can always be swapped.

fuck its cheap enough to say I should just buy it and try it..........

thanks for the offer sheepers, might just keep fucking around with what I have, tho you have probably opened the flood gates of people wanting a 4m

am also in half minds about rebuilding the whole damn thing, can get a full rebuild kit for decent price, but is probably over spending as I just want the car out of my life really