How Scooters Ruined Shakotoms Life

Shakotom

then I decided the ST was going on EastCapeEscapade, So i spent a few bucks and gave it a birthday. New chain, Sprockets, ignition components, few gaskets to replace after opening engine up to clean the filter screen, fluids, brake component etc thanks to my local motorcycle shop, Botany Honda. Just all the basics youd do to a 44 year old bike before taking it on a 600km adventure

IMG_6075.JPG.af83f2d9677e3f35f6362efe8c1f006b.JPG

Welded up a carrier rack, attached a crate, packed the basics met up with the others and probably had the most fun Ive had on a bike.IMG_6168.JPG.9b0cb87a1a066e844cd2ec89856c5652.JPG

Was my largest adventure to date on a bike, And the ST lapped it up. Cruised fine at about 40mph and could wring 50mph out full tuck on the flats according to the speedo. 
Only issue I had was it fouled a couple of spark plugs and wouldnt restart after being shut off when warm.

IMG_6199.JPG.649ffbbbc09b17fe10935b853d51716a.JPG

• Like 9

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ST also goes good off road. 

IMG_7653.JPG.bc63b8fc3db3583eede7066ddd84dca8.JPG

And the FR50 is still going well. This photos from a weekend away with some small bike GCs in the Coromandel. Had a issue on its last outing on a ASSES ride where the carb fell off and Id just put it in the shed and not fixed it. But @Threeonthetree came over and forced me to fix it. Thanks mate

IMG_7815.JPG.9e8291b8e4847f8df0a6abdc634368eb.JPG

I just liked the shed tbh.

• Like 9

What was next... 

A Chaly popped up for a good price, So of course I snapped that up. This was what I collected. Previous owner had used it as a parts bike for their Chaly.

IMG_6745.JPG.4d105f746f62c8e2e1ea3458c6844776.JPG

Supposedly the motor was junk, So i quickly sourced a replacement motor to slap it which was ment to be a quick swap. and we all know how that goes.

IMG_7763.JPG.88ca9d6538fe5d472015710baabfb09f.JPG

Fitting the motor was easy enough, Fiddly stuff like the kit carb being to wide to fit into the frame leading to having to change to a VM22 carb, Having to souce a straight manifold as the carb spinner setup didnt quite put the carb straight enough to clear comfortably, having to source a few missing rear brake components from overseas slowed everything up abit too.

IMG_E7715.JPG.e87237790b82bca477a803770f3cf276.JPG

Got the motor in, wired it up from scratch, sorted a few other things. Didnt really have much planned in the way of the build other than getting it going and rideable. Then Foamers got invited to ride with QCR, and due to car space requirements the Chaly was the bike I had to take.

• Like 4

First thing was checking the motor worked. Had a Low Key ride after Caffiene & Classics as a first outing. It went mostly okay apart from the part exhaust I had destroying my eardrums. - Louds cool, but the tone was horrible. and the carb needing fettling to run better. Chalys and VM22 carbs are a pain to adjust idle speed/mix. I ended up drilling a access hole through the frame to get to the Idle speed, and Idle Mixture is remove carb, turn half a turn and hope it makes a difference.

IMG_7944.JPG.771436f72523e37e905bb1797ae100c9.JPG

Double Chalys! what does it mean!

Next was remedying the exhaust issue, I sourced a bespoke exhaust and got it modified my SFC Fabrication to fit the chaly. Namely tucking the pipe in under the motor and up higher to clear the rear brake lever and footpegs. I ended up using folding footpegs to allow them to move up when you get a lean on and drag pegs. Also visable in the picture behind the exhaust are super short adjustable preload rear shocks to sit the rear tyre as close to the frame as possible and still allow some comfort.

IMG_8626.JPG.2c265c3ae0051cc0dc2fc915e4f9383b.JPG

This pipe has a deep sound which makes it sound like a much larger bike than what it is, it also has 3 noise level stages with the aid of a removable and adjustable baffle, from subtle to there’s a Harley behind me.

oh yeah, And some super sweeet narrow pullback bars for max Style points

IMG_8834.JPG.8a9d036b040db0f1dc268bd26acc894d.JPG

Took Chaly to Christchurch, Rode in from little river to nats, then back in the freezing cold from nats to @Chris.QCRs place to meet Quake City Rumblers and go for a ride. Which was definitely as awsome as I was expecting it to be. Such a good bunch of dudes, Cool bikes, great riders, super accomodating, Great roads and area to ride. No wait.... im ment to tell you how QCR are a bunch of Intimidating tough scary dudes right? (Thanks Rez for the coffee to defrost me after the ride over the hill!), apart from the Chalys fuel tank petcock deciding to come loose not long after leaving and dump all of the gas out all over the road. Fixed that, Made it most of the way on the ride trouble free but at the end it developed a miss and ran rough. Ended up in the back of a ute back to Hogans where I tried to do burnouts but It wouldnt play ball.

With that I left it there, Returned to Nats and then flew back to Auckland.

• Like 4

Eventually by the way of @GuyWithAviators freight services the Chaly ended up back at my garage where it was put back into the corner of the shed.

Moped NZ Auckland ride v2 was coming up and I thought we'd try this again. Pulled the tank out, cleaned out and resealed the petcock, revised the fuel lines , fitted a different airfilter, changed a few settings in the carb and checked it still ran. Used the ride from my house to the meet point as a test and it ran fine. Seems to be running fine, And pulling some fuel out through mid throttle ranges made it alot more happy.

IMG_9823.JPG.f6b059165de637a681dfbbc2a48f27d1.JPG

From here I want to internal route the throttle cable and fit my new frame/carb cover.

also

FOAMERS FTW

IMG_9822.JPG.0185b55cbc00215201ae9355eda98ccb.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

And because I didnt learn after my last episode with twist and gos, I had a couple of refreshments while at a friends and ended up doing a deal with Andrew and purchased his SJ50 he had for sale as hes now got a DJ1 and I helped him lower that.

And what do you do with lame modern scooters?

Remove all the suspension of course.

IMG_9231.JPG.d7cfdcd4810101e97e4353d405c618b4.JPG

oh and fit all of the underglow lighting

IMG_9560.JPG.d7150f485a3af6e6fc09ac82e390c967.JPG

We took these to one of Aucklands MotoSocial events and ended up attracting more attention than anything else there.

SJs currently at the point where its as low as it will go without cutting into the frame to get clearance for the carb, and modifying the fuel tank to clear the rear wheel.

And it still rides suprisingly well. 

Whole aim is Low Bucks and Max slam / ricerness

• Like 8

And these are a couple of things I've got tucked away for future projects which ill go into more detail on as I do some work on them

Firstly, 

1973 Suzuki MT50 TRAIL HOPPER

IMG_8079.JPG.db308975518425a329641508b97bc601.JPG

The perfect bike to chuck in the back of a truck to take to a field on a Sunday.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

And a bike that Id pined over, but could never justify the prices that people were asking for them. That being said I almost didn't jump on this as I had said no more bikes and it was only after @MopedNZ and @GuyWithAviators severely peer pressured me that I collected it 30 minutes after it was listed for sale.

A Suzuki RV90IMG_9229.JPG.d712ed369b5561b5728632088ea66037.JPG

• Like 8

Well. People tend not to reply to often on the Bike build threads. But I wanted to say you'se a top cnut. 

Cheers for being awesome and putting up with our ridiculous peer pressure and not cracking and killing us to death with mopeds. I aspire one day to have a collection and garage like yours. GIZ. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Yes, @MopedNZ if it wasn’t for yourself and @GuyWithAviators I certainly wouldn’t have three quarters of my collection or as many good memories/laughs/rage quits/mild panic attacks/stress out moments/ and good times as they’ve bought me at this point. I will expand further into the stories behind some of the bikes as I get around to working on them.

• Thanks 2