Shakotom

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

YAY PARTS!tempImageForSave.thumb.jpg.bd45cc21d64ed6dce2ac7d9dd0dbb810.jpg

ended up with Aftermarket CDI, High speed variator pulley, a torsion controller,an assortment of torque springs/weights and an incorrect drive belt.

tempImageForSave.thumb.jpg.8bdf55b7aa1e395577064f121b63b191.jpg

there is a decent difference in size between the new variator and the old one. This should increase too end speed 

• Like 4

New Variator barely fits in the casing, Need to give it a skim with a flap disc to give it a little bit more clearance. It clears as is by about a hair, it's definitely as big as you can go. To fit this I had to remove the electric starter as it fouls on this pulley which I'm a little bit disappointed about. tempImageForSave.jpg.a330c0eb6ccbfeee6757a5beb87c8f02.jpg

Also had my $5 Aliexpress Tachometer turn up so I mounted that this evening to assist with tuning/see how many RPM I'm pulling with this de restricted CDI/measure the tachyness of this plastic heaptempImageForSave.jpg.9f3e2a7a4958e8b0edca80199e25011c.jpg

Sits just above to storage compartment in a spot that gives the least obstruction for access.

also note Speed light that will come on above 40kmh.

Ricey

• Like 5

So shit late model scooters seem to attract other shit late model scooters.

IMG_5080.thumb.PNG.bcf4368fc9c25af0160c57d4ffe78f78.PNG

a SJ50qt. $100 Facebook deal that was 5 minutes from my work. Collected it within an hour of it being posted on facebook. Dude said it doesn't run.

Fuel tanks bone dry. Motivate Battery has 4v, has good compression, appears to have a upgraded Mukuni crab and has a fancy looking NGK Sprak plug lead. So it may have been loved at some point. When I get 5 minutes gonna clean the carb/charge the battery and see how we go

seriously. What am I doing with my life? 

At least it has rego on hold.

• Like 5

PS. 

googling turned up these sj50 'mods'

There is a little plate between the exhaust header, and the engine, just loosen off the two exhaust bolts, and pull the little metal plate out, and she should be good for about 70kph with a 70kg person on it. This will invalidate any warranty on the bike, and possibly insurance, and cops will notice a 50cc scooter pulling 65 kmh.

Your scooter will probably have a rev limiter in the CDI unit, To remove this you find your CDI unit and it will have 5 wires - Two going to the ignition coil, Two going to the alternator power, The 5th one will go to a device in the engine which gives it a voltage depending on RPM, Cutting this wire will make it 0 volts and the CDI will not know to limit the revs. The extra RPM speed gained will get your top speed from 50ish to 70ish. A couple good mods for starters is iridium spark plug for improved throttle response and easier cold starting, light weight variator rollers to get you up to speed quicker, Heavy duty clutch springs will raise your rpm engage point to give you better launches and get you into power band sooner -- these are the cheap and easy to do mods. Other mods are removing your cold air box and replacing it with a pod filter but this will require a carburettor retune so leave this until you know what you're doing and ofcourse changing your exhaust and installing a performance CDI unit with more aggressive ignition timings. Then after all that to make good use of your improved torque you might install a high speed pulley which will increase your gearing ratios giving you a higher top speed. Check out scootling.co.nz for all this stuff, the dude down there can help you out with all of that.

https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=286883&d=1377510010

• Like 3

That restriction plate is not in all SJ50's, they were supplied with the scooters to dealers and not all/many fitted them.

The CDI story there I won't say is bullshit as I don't claim to be an expert, but in my experience it is a lot of bullshit lol, yes there's 5 wires but there's no magical rpm signal for a restrictor there.

Some Chinese scooters with DC ignition has a looped wire which you cut to derestrict but I have never come across it on a Jap scooter. SJ50's are limited to 9000rpm but a cheap AC CDI unit solves that and unless your going to go with a ported cylinder, decent pipe and carb combo you won't need over 9000rpm anyway.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Okay, where are we at now.

tried to get the SJ going, Lost interest. Pillaged all the good bits -tyres etc for the Lets and sold the SJ for a small profit. 

Jammed all the go fast bits into the Lets, Used it to go to and from work for a couple of weeks. Could beat all the cars away from the traffic lights, and wind the speedo off the clock while overtaking cars. GPSed top speed at around 78kmh. Seating position wasnt all that comfortable and the bike was really too tidy to use as a engine donor. So it got cleaned up and sold on for maximum profit.

DSC_0838.JPG.98cec6f43c0875f8d271d7c1f8e8eeb1.JPG 

• Like 4