How Scooters Ruined Shakotoms Life

Shakotom

Also If you remember seeing a while ago in this thread a sparkly Fa50 frame, I finally got around to bolting it back together just before dromeageddon.
DSC_0649.JPG.2959dd497a918f1b9aa9a7146d0a2713.JPG

I decided to fit 14in dirtbike tyres to it after getting a sweet deal from a fellow oldschooler for maximum dirt tractions for backup at dromeageddon. As a note, they do fit but just. To get the rear wheel on involves fitting the wheel with the tyre deflated and then inflating once bolted in place. I also had to remove the stand as that rubbed hard on the tyre and the carb filter elbow misses by a whiskerDSC_0644.JPG.21a0671e39301064fc16efb5f5e80866.JPG

BONUS IMAGE. CHECK OUT THAT SPARKLEDSC_0647.JPG.bfd0317a5c8fd9d8581eebfeeb634886.JPG

• Like 5

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oops....

this makes it three tempImageForSave.thumb.jpg.bc7fa6eae873369f99a1b9ccdf989ee8.jpg

picked this up today solely for the lower half of the chain guard. but on further inspection it looks to have a few other bits that might be useful or just hoarded for spares.

Forks are super bent so I'm guessing it's been run over or crashed. It also has a few differences than my good FR50 -namely being stickers for the logos instead of badges / had round speedo/ different shaped safety light on the front.

• Like 3

Is that krylon sparkle in a can? 

Looks like you need a decent non-can clear coat or 5 on the top and it will look a billion times better. See my Suzi GT185 thread too see difference. It's like night/day. 

Digging the tyre zorst paint colour combo tho! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, I just can cleared it using clear from paint shop down the road - but I sorta mucked up spraying it in some patches and the flake hasn't laid down/ it's rough to touch so with out a decent amount of work I don't think it will really come up that good. I saw your pictures of your tank and that and man that paint looked super deep, I see what you mean regarding decent clear ect

As as I said, I collected that twisted up FR solely for a few parts it had on it that I had been hunting for for a while and couldn't find.

Tonight I started to strip that down for parts and    fitted them to my good FR50, namely being the one bit I had been hunting for since day of purchase -a complete chain guard with upper and lower halves. As well as other rubber grommets and washers/spacers to places that they were missing from amongst the frametempImageForSave.thumb.jpg.b8eafe4b3eafb0ee88ce4dbb21d2b100.jpg

pine. 

Makes the bike look so much more complete. Stoked!!

also, fitted the NOS FR50 leg guard badge I purchased from Suzuki Japan

tempImageForSave.thumb.jpg.8cdca98174db926eddbc9225664fade9.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

So when I got the FR80, it had the front forks welded solid for some reason, which was fine as I was just going to pull the motor, tempImageForSave.thumb.jpg.530fd36b615c17a3873c84da2f8313e2.jpg

But I happened to come across another set of forks for a price that was too good to refuse and then next thing they were making there way to me via courier. I'd already removed the welded up forks, so with a freshen up of grease in the headset the forks were swapped.

tempImageForSave.thumb.jpg.ceae1690aec8636579f88bd120e01feb.jpg

The next thing was when shuffling some things around in the shed, I came across the old left hand side cover that came on the 50 when I first purchased it, so off with the broken and on with the less broken but horrible Matt black side cover.tempImageForSave.thumb.jpg.33df18f214c53af22926ce28da043dee.jpg

Then half a packet of cable ties later, I've reassembled the pile of broken plastic that came with the bike back into the gauge shape of a legsheildtempImageForSave.thumb.jpg.0d4a77c551db563fa173f731990ad2ef.jpg

then decided I'd push my luck and ended up getting it registered aswell!

1979 Suzuki 50 

EASY AS

tempImageForSave.thumb.jpg.6f3f844f4a3cd93eb95e5b50cb9e1e00.jpg

Pictured in my Harley Davidson plate frame I picked up in Hawaii. Need to get a Smaller plate made as NZ plates are HUGE compared to US plates.

and just for old times sake, Showed the FA that started this love affair some affection and fixed a broken wire and fitted up the leg sheild Felix gave me aaaageeees agotempImageForSave.thumb.jpg.fb5520cf1acdeec1228f7b3c0c5e144e.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So I've purchased another scooter, but this one has more plastic on it than all my other ones combined. Doing my usual hunting for parts on tardme, I stumbled across an auction for a Suzuki Lets2 being sold by turners as a deregistered non running bike at a price that was sorta tempting I chucked it on my watch list and semi forgot about it. Re checking my watch list a week or so later, the auction for this was closing, I sent the link to some mates, then peer pressure happened and next thing I'd won the trade me auction.

shot to turners on Friday morning before work and collected this

tempImageForSave.thumb.jpg.9606166d71b593eb339570fd4443615b.jpg

Dragged it home and had a look at it. Looks like someone's fallen off it due to smashed LH lights and scuffs all down the side. 

I sent Raizer a couple of messages asking for advice after as to why I had no power ect, I Eventually figured out it was missing the battery which for future reference is kept under the foot boards. (New school junk) So this morning I shot out, purchased a battery from scootling in town as they had one in stock and I was slightly too impatient for my usual shop to order one in.

after managing to escape with out being tempted by the array of performance junk they sell I got home and fitted the battery.

• Like 1

After fitting the battery, and checking gas and oil levels, and getting used to all of the saftey stuff eg kickstand switchs that modern mopeds have compared to stuff from 1979 I pressed the electric start button and nothing happened. I was slightly gutted as the electric start was quite a luxury I wasn't used to and was excited about. I gave it a kick and it started first pop and idled away nicely. Not bad for a bike that supposedly didn't run.

took it for a hoon to the bottom of the road and back. Goes alright but is a little disappointing. Does all of the revs but will only do 40-45 kmh.

Then I discovered to have the electric start operate, you have to be holding the brake. So luxurious.tempImageForSave.jpg.1b0556127d69d42cd5af1777f899aed9.jpg

next step is to pull the variator and stuff off and inspect that. Also drain and fill with new oil/gas

Depending what the variators like, performance ones aren't too bad price wise.

Goal is to get a drive train that will comfortably do 70ish before we go next step

• Like 5

I mentioned the belt too, if you want a nice one/cdi/decent variator let me know before I place my next WeBike or Racing Planet order and I can add it and save you shipping.

You will be hard pressed to get 70 from the stock variator, it's just physically too small for it, Malossi multivar would be my pick for them, think crap S-Drive is the only one available in NZ (it's a different crank to any other Scooter besides Street Magic, there's not many options!).

• Like 2

So did some investigating on the weekend

found belts pretty worn, the edges of it are pretty scuffed up and it's starting to cracktempImageForSave.thumb.jpg.79d451ddfa3fec4bb0a453fdad6718b2.jpg

also removed the variator, this photos doesn't really show it as it's hard to show but the face of it is pretty worn and glazed over as well as ramp angle is all over the show/pretty much straight on the outer edge.tempImageForSave.thumb.jpg.3281c4a7454754ff36b9496c75757778.jpg

Disassembled the variator and found the roller weights were just slightly square tempImageForSave.jpg.e36e05f0a8fa760544d537a606a81d39.jpg

Other side of the front drive pulley is pretty similar to the variator but as these seem impossible to source it should come up fine with a bit of time with some sand papertempImageForSave.thumb.jpg.52e60a4954a3e085a81d6a0c7ce880c8.jpg

and clutch looks like it should be fine with a scuff aswelltempImageForSave.thumb.jpg.cea549fd0b3657fab7ba2c3ae7635b3d.jpg

• Like 1

After disassembly and browsing Raizers let's thread and having a yarn with him why purchase stock replacement parts when there's performance parts out there!!tempImageForSave.thumb.jpg.be9029f198be7fa9f3cfa026c6d2bfed.jpg

I paid $87 for this LETS2 when I purchased it on Friday. Have spent a little bit more than that on parts for it since... oops

cant wait for them to turn up!

• Like 2

On 8/6/2017 at 08:30, MKD said:

Fork-wise, do GN125 etc forks fit on an FR? Essentially making a ct110-ish looking bike but with the correct amount of strokes

thinking that crushed/bent one is prime for this

I have a dream for one of the other FR frames that involves a lifan and normal telescopic style forks...

• Like 2