How Scooters Ruined Shakotoms Life

Shakotom

Soooooooo......

I have managed to acquire yet another scooter and instead of starting another thread, Ill just add to this.

I had been on the hunt for a Honda cub/yamaha v50 / Suzuki FR50 for a while as I had grown quite fond of the styling of them.

Ideally a suzuki just to keep it in the same brand as the rest of my scooter stuff and then this popped up

28688187814_22895a4e42_c.jpg

I Purchased this off another oldschooler further down the Island, and due to the wonders of OSGC freight runs, It ended up in Tauranga. So on Saturday decided to go for a drive to collect this and take Kateums for a day trip to the mount.

Dragged it home and shoved it in the shed.

28688187364_127c925c68_c.jpg

On Sunday I got a couple of free hours, So i decided to have a bit of a nosy at this. Drained all the fluids (apart from the gearbox as that had already emptied its contents in Cams ute) and filled with fresh fuel and oils. tightened up the front wheel getting rid of the sideways movement in the front end. Gave it a few kicks and it fired into life. I took it for a ride around the block, and Oh man is it going to take some getting used to.

Changing gears with out pulling a clutch lever is alien and the leading link suspension setup the front has tends to lift the front and try to drive over the wheel when the front brake is applied.

and today I thought Id try my luck at registration

29232129891_e47f7620f5_c.jpg

VERY NICE. 

So now I have one legal 1979 Suzuki FR50.

On the shopping list is tyres (- deciding to run standard 2.25x17s vs 2.50x17s) a new battery and some bulbs for now. aswell as getting a broken exhaust stud out of the engine

Also I am on the look out for a front leg sheild, right hand side cover and screw, a unbroken front guard, another rear guard tail section and a full chain guard.

Anything in any condtion will be considered if anyone out theres got anything!!

now....whats the easiest way to slam these things?

• Like 2

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I didn't end up purchasing that FR80 because I couldn't justify $600 on a parts bike.

But today I received a parcel.

Over Night parts from Thailand

28891784213_ef65f533f8_c.jpg

Inside the box was these

29433722491_b08fe913ab_c.jpg

Not a bad fit for a reproduction item, Possibly could do with a little bit of removal of excess material to make them sit a bit flusher. Paint also is sweet. 
Jammed them on.

28891783553_ba4c0a194e_c.jpg

So much better than being able to see the battery/ yuck matt B left hand side one. Almost need to scuff up the paint to make them match the rest of the bike.

I also gave it a bit of a birthday with a new pair of 2.50 tyres, tubes, rimtape, a battery and a whole bunch of bulbs

29433964271_bb658c22fe_c.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I made some hardtail struts to lower the back of the FR50

29764982280_9bb2dfddbd_c.jpg

They're definitely a form over function thing. Rode it to work and back once and ended up feeling sorry for the frame of the bike. I found some shorter shocks in my collection of junk and swapped the eye bushes around to fit the FR.

These sit it at quite a nice height when Im sitting on it (almost tucking rim) and still retains a lush ride quality as well as being stiffer than the OG ones

29432235833_d5f601da17_c.jpgOR4NGE, on Flickr

• Like 1

I also did Auckland Distinguised gentlemans ride with GuyWithAviators and twosmoked around through the rain.

14492529_414096802047741_743803743572463

It was super wet, But the rain didnt put a dampener on the day for me. Was rad cruising around Auckland with 150 other bikes, and getting EVERY SINGLE Green traffic light on the route. 

I think I rode almost 130km on this trip.

Riding in with Guy from panmure was probably some of the most fun Ive had on a scooter in a while. Drag racing from traffic lights/ flybys and overtaking/filling new market with max ringdingdings at 8am in the morning and making rooster tails. Keen for more asap

And the day after the ride, My parts from Thailand turned up. ( I had a feeling this would be the case) I purchased myself the correct legsheild for the FR. Also, As you can see in the photo, Ive converted it to run a Solo seat. (re upholstered by my sister)

]30058791925_4fe07e1414_c.jpg]

On the hunt now for a small carrier rack to go on the frame behind the seat

• Like 2

reckon that leg shield will be able to be used by ya?

what's the FR go like compared to an fa?

Cheers for sending that legsheild up, It fits but isnt quite right/ would need trinning ect and I couldnt bring myself to do that to it. So as you can see, I purchased the correct one for it. 

Also FR vs FA is like night and day. FR is much cruisier to ride than the FA, feels less sketchy/easier to keep up with traffic.

But  Im still more confident at throwing the FA around though...

• Like 2

FRs faster in general than FA for me, might be due to the pipe on FA being for all top end. But FA feels faster because small bike/ super bouncy suspension

Yeah man will do!

Im going to hawkes boes/dromeageddon. If you can tee up returns from there then thats easy as!

• 6 months later...

I have a problem.

I keep managing to acquire double ups of scooters

.17919007_10155192005673749_1277716435_n.jpg.56010a992a082b8375609dad3548a547.jpg

The one at the back Is a FR80 I purchased off Denham to use to donate the 80cc engine to my FR50. It also supplied the top half of a chain guard which Ive fitted to the 50. The 80 after twiddling with the carb seems to go hard for what it is and with the front forks welded solid gives a weird feeling like it wants to pop the front wheel off the ground on 1-2 gear change. probably not but more so just a sweet jolt on shifting.

Looking forward to yanking the 50 and putting the 80 in its place!

also someone sell me the lower half of a fr50 chainguard please!

• Like 2