How Scooters Ruined Shakotoms Life

Shakotom

Yup, that sounds about right. Never done an FA so I could be wrong, but many of these small bikes don't have a regulator, only a rectifier. Basically this means that instead of having something that converts the AC to DC then 'chops' the voltage to ~14v it only converts it from AC to DC. At idle the voltage will probably be really low, high revs really high. The battery basically acts as a regulator, absorbing these voltage spikes and providing voltage when it is too low. This is why those motobatt batteries can burn out kinda quickly with these sorts of bikes, they don't love the spikes. 

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This things 6v though. I thought it wouldve run between 6v-8 or 9 v max?

@guypie how do you figure out exhaust port duration?

Powerband would be all of it preferably :)

But really, mid range up

Goes okay on flat as is, but wouldn't mind more go for hills

And if I removed/blocked the oil system on this and ran premix would that cause any problems?

This things 6v though. I thought it wouldve run between 6v-8 or 9 v max?@guypie how do you figure out exhaust port duration?Powerband would be all of it preferably :)But really, mid range upGoes okay on flat as is, but wouldn't mind more go for hillsAnd if I removed/blocked the oil system on this and ran premix would that cause any problems?

Take the exhaust off so you can look in the port, turn it til the piston uncovers the exhaust port. Mark the flywheel and a mark somwhere adjacent on the engine casing at the point the port is first uncovered. Rotate it til reached the point of closing and mark this point. Get a protractor and measure how many degrees the port was open for. Should be about 120 at a guess, possibly less. Well thats how I usually do it anyways, others might have better ways.

Alternatively, find something like this and print it off. http://www.flatheadv8.org/degree.htm  Stick it to something solidish, a CD works well (might need to scale down).

Attach your degree wheel to the flywheel somehow. Tape or bluetak would work well. Figure out the point at which the port is first opened, either as above or by looking from the exhaust port, or by taking the head off and looking at it in the bore.

Line the degree wheel up with something fixed to the crankcase (a mark, fin etc or can attach a bit of wire or something) and set to TDC or 0 degrees. Rotate the engine slowly until you can see the exhaust port close. Take the measurement from the degree wheel to the point at the start, and you're sorted!

I ran premix on one of mine, fairly easy to do, remove the pump and make a blanking plate for the hole then seal the oil port on the crankcase.

Not sure if I'd bother doing it again, the auto-oiler works well and dumps it straight onto the crank.

Avoid engine braking going down hills and blip the throttle on the over run often to keep the oil coming in.

Also if you disconnect the autolube system and premix your oil/petrol it can cause them to run lean as the oil displaces the petrol.

• Like 1

So this manual I found says that these things run a PEI ignition? and so there should be a CDI unit somewhere aswell according to the wiring diagram....

17163960612_52d6719c76_c.jpg

16545422193_4773db6a85_c.jpg

Mines a 1986 model and doesnt appear to have this box. It runs but Is it missing something? because the electrics on this are all over the show

So over this damn thing.

Hey mate. Probably the coils in the mag-totally-neato have gotten fuel on them/are just old and have lost their insualtion coatings. This will give you over charging.

Can rewind these by hand if you are totally.keen. Have to find a supplier of the correct wire then put exactly.the same number of turns on each one. Be a good idea to inspect and check them out with a multimeter

• 2 weeks later...

Maaaaan have I waffled on about this piece..
I fixed the hard starting issue, I stripped and cleaned out the carb and removed the two blocked up plastic filter things jammed in the fuel pipes. Starts first pop now always.

Electrical: still over charging (i think), but all lights work ect and it rides sweet so that will do for now. will do 45kmh on the flat!

Been riding it to and from work. Goes good and carrier on the back works good at carrying my tool bag,

17299080275_b8728e5502.jpg

Also been doing your nomal scooter things like:

Going to coffee shops

16678801673_e01a0ae0db.jpg

Going on 'gang' rides with mates. ( rode about 60km on this ride round trip)

16676591004_6a1c2c3040.jpg

and running out of gas and pushing it to the gas station...

17111291628_42dcc6c853.jpg

Oh... also I got this.....

17299060965_56e58216c9.jpg

a Honda NF'50'  :wink:  

Its got something wrong/broken related to  the kick start  Im told...  I dunno, I couldn't bear to see it end up scrapped and it was too good to pass up on, but mostly hopefully it will stop me modifying my FA50 while Im trying to daily it....

• Like 5