How Scooters Ruined Shakotoms Life

Shakotom

Shit yeah, looks sweet. You don't need a speedo or indicators, I would just bin them. You should do some research into expansion chambers for these, a decent expansion chamber on it shouldn't be too hard to make/get made and will give you a decent power gain

• Like 1

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for these things?

The wiring loom on this is junk. 

16853905496_4c8ea52cea_c.jpg

So much twist and tape,cracked insulation and petrol/oil contaminated wires that have gone hard. I think it would be easier to rewire it and make a new loom than try and repair the old one.

Also, Tyres were perished and turns out FA50s have a battery but this one is missing. So went out this morning looking for parts at some shops. Found some and ordered them. They'll hopefully turn up Tuesday so I can get them after work.

So with having a couple of days up my sleeve, I decided to give at a once over. 
I dropped the drive train out to de grease it/ Clean all the junk off it.

16878777971_f3d775b11e_c.jpg

All the paint came off the cylinder assembly when I did that, So decided to give it a lick of paint with some old paint I had left over.

16693653009_dcaa4e9f5c_c.jpg

Clean. 
dont really want to touch the rest or else Ill probably end up respraying the whole thing.

You know what Im like....

Slapped it back together. and got the nod of approval from my neighbours cat.

16257405314_02425fc875_c.jpg

Popped the front guard off also to see what it looked like...

16879771475_914da822de_c.jpg

I like it.

Very minimalist....

Now if I just happened to find a new light for the front of it, It probably would look quite tidy but then the rear would be too busy......

• Like 1

So as I said, Wiring loom was average, so I pulled it out

16342842433_249d06fe54_c.jpg

found a wiring diagram and purchased some wire and did this

16775490530_cd485a974e_c.jpg

Now just have to get some connectors/ crimps and hopefully everything's in the right spots.

Also have been shopping and got some new bits. 

Tyres, tubes, rimtape, battery, gear oil, 2 stroke oil, and a spark plug 

16962000031_c8ea21a17e_c.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

So spent a couple of nights week before last turning that mess of wires into a new wiring loom by pretty much copying the existing one out of it.

Put the new loom into it, still not overly happy with how it turned out, but it will do for now as I'm probably gonna re do it again with changes eventually.

Ordered a new [secondhand] rear wheel as the one off it was SUPER wobbly, that turned up so I fitted the new rimtape, tubes and tyres front and rear. Cleaned out the brake area and cleaned up the shoes/adjusted the brakes. Feels a little bit better now!

Drained and changed the transmission oil. Ended up with 400ml of 15w40 In it. (Factory spec is 500ml 20w40 but supposedly less oil/lighter spec = faster)

Emptied out and cleaned both the fuel and oil tanks/ lines. Re filled with motul 2 stroke oil and fresh fuel.

Only issue is the oil tank level display seems to fill with oil but doesn't appear to be missing a seal?

Changed the spark plug.

Fitted the battery and started it up!

Well it started eventually... Took about 25 kicks and even then it would run for about 30sec then splutter and die.

But once warm it would start and run no problem.

Head scratching time.

Was really hopefull, but unfortunately it didn't make any change.

Rode scooter to and from work a couple of times last week and once I got it started, it ran sweet!

Would do about 45kmh on the flat at WOT!

But still be a pig to start.

Decided this morning to pull the carb off, strip it and give it a clean out.

Found a blocked idle?choke? jet

Soaked the jets in carb cleaner and cleaned the rest of it out while they were soaking then blew them out.

Re assembled the carb and put it back on. Connected fuel lines, and primed the fuel system.

IT LITERALY STARTED FIRST KICK AND IDLED PERFECT.

Left it for a hour and tried again. still first kick!

Left it for two hours. First kick :)

Took for a Hoon and according to my GPS speed logger I downloaded maxed out at 64kmh (must've been on a slope with a tail wind!) and had average speed of 40kmh....

Sweet!

Only thing I noticed was that the indicators stopped working, checked battery voltage and it's flat flat.

Checked charging rate, is about 6v at idle and goes up to 8v at WOT. That seems about right?

Battery's currently on charge, I'm not sure if I left the ignition on by mistake so will disconnect it when I park it and see if it still flattens it.

Turns out that it's missing the filter out of the housing. So gonna go find some filter foam and make a new one next week.

SO KEEN FOR SCOOTING TOO AND FROM WORK :)

• Like 1

OK you will struggle to get more than 55 out of it

I planed my head, added expansion chamber went up about 4 jet sizes, added a pod filter and dropped the oil in the gear box 25% to do that

(I also ran tires at 45PSI and ran 98 octane fuel)

Single speed means it is hard without port work etc

• Like 1

^ tbh I don't think I'm gonna play with it too much motor wise. But I do want to get an expansion chamber for it, but thats black magic to me. I don't under stand them/can't find an off the shelf item/ don't know how to make one so probably not going to happen

Mainly because if it's noisy, it's fast right??

Unless any GCs want to help out ;)

Please?

Just need to source another exhaust for a flange.... Any one? :)

Have some aesthetic chsnges planned for the future though

Do the lights work while.its.running or.just not at all?

Fa50s dont need a battery to run. Perhaps dissconnect and see if the lamps flash while running (incase battery is draining all the charge i guess)

Drill a hole in the centre of.the muffler - above the tiny original outlet. Worth 2kph top speed

^ tbh I don't think I'm gonna play with it too much motor wise. But I do want to get an expansion chamber for it, but thats black magic to me. I don't under stand them/can't find an off the shelf item/ don't know how to make one so probably not going to happen

Mainly because if it's noisy, it's fast right??

Unless any GCs want to help out ;)

Please?

Just need to source another exhaust for a flange.... Any one? :)

Have some aesthetic chsnges planned for the future though

If you can figure out the exhaust port duration and what rpm you want the powerband to be I can give you dimensions, I use this book to do the math:

http://www.amazon.com/Two-Stroke-Performance-Tuning-A-Bell/dp/1859606199

Alright, so its definately got a charging issue.

Charges like 8v at idle, and runs up to 10volts. So it's over charging...

These have a regulator correct? Well there's a box on the frame that has a single wire that runs to it.

Wire Comes out of motor and goes to ignition switch and this wire runs off that wire to the box. Which earths through the bolt that holds it and the main earth on, I'm guessing that's the regulator as it has 6v on it. (SU216S 6V)

Rectifier is by the battery and that's shown on my wiring diagram. The manual I have for it shows a PEI box but mine doesn't have that. And that manual doesn't show a voltage regulator of any form.

Rectifier shows continuity one way but not the other as per the manual so that's okay I guess.

I copied the old loom exactly when I rewired it, so it's as it was when I got it just with new less crap wire.

All the lights work, indicators flash slow and dim at idle, but when running at revs they're as they were when I bought a new battery. (With the battery in)

When I got it, it didn't have a battery in it and I'm guessing the previous owner rode it with no battery.

How do I test the voltage regulator?/where would I go/what else do I check from here