Ghostchips

Ghostchips 1920-26 ford T bucket (of rust)

Hood tie down strap made from a leather belt.  The belt is so long it forms a loop for someone 3 times my size.  Could wrap that around my waist 3 times before it met the first belt hole, and it has a functional lock in it.  Why would it have a lock?

ePK5WL4.jpg

So i don't know if i should start a technical thread on "How to make trembler coils" as mine are toast and one of the borrowed ones died today. Never successfully made an ignition coil before, i think i'll need help of the electrical gurus on here.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

RockAuto is really low on stock, wonder why. 288366199_rockautoislowonparts.JPG.44aab19e0254a08ce2e6be3a7408b3c5.JPG

Factory drop spindles still available, used.

NZUSCANdropsucks.thumb.jpg.30b709f891b150b4e216d85b853da314.jpg

No UK spec' ones available though.... NZ got canada spec ones.

628888162_NZDMdropspindleversusstandard.jpg.fd65c329abc1cbc86df4df0c376ae58f.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

The tail lamp was suffering metal fatigue.  Not surprising, given its alloy.
So i made one fitted for the electric light.  (re-used the old glass)

That's not paint, that's indian head shellac.

tail lamp.JPG

• Like 7

1894219106_CoilOnPlugMaking.thumb.JPG.8ffa17879babec0669cd25962b5153e5.JPG

So i tried making my own coil on plug system with a piece of plywood with magnets glued in it in the front of the cam,  an arduino pro mini with sensors mounted on the front of that, a sheet of plastic (Made from melted milk bottles & bottle caps) with copper screwed to it to distribute power i know those aren't proper ferrite toroids but thaat's just too bad.  Wrapped in a tin foil tape to try & keep interference out (probably keeps it in?)

1758630693_MSpaintadvancecurve.jpg.76be0a3c4ba12ff6dbb71da388431a0a.jpg

The cool kids have MS paint graphs & stuff so i'll try be be cool too.
The red curve is a rough approximation of how the standard magneto behaves.
The green one could be programmed any way i like.
If i put a high(er) compression overhead head valve head on it, then i can program a curve to take advantage of it.

It'll also make old grumpy people sad.  Most people just use a distributor conversion.

• Like 8

Turns out i need to use the cylindrical style transformers, they need a longer ramp up time of at least 8 milliseconds, ideally 10-12.
The little cube ones are nice but they seem to foul.  Although the cube style produce a hot enough spark to burn paper & start to melt the spark plug electrodes, when fouled with fuel they can't even light a pan of fuel.
The cylinder style build up a charge and discharge it all at once, this appears to help with the 'self cleaning' effect. A big plug gap will make them lag like crazy, but the spark is loud enough to hear from outside the engine block.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1