Ghostchips 1920-26 ford T bucket (of rust)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So after finding the once widely available fuel line fittings i knew during the industrial revolution are now considered "old fashioned" and not available at any place i could find i resorted to making my own.

2njfuwn.jpg

Notice the air line hose fitting is a close fit to the tube.

25fjb0n.jpg

If i cut it in half it becomes a perfect match for a 1/4 BSP fitting as used on old tractors.

2yopa92.jpg

Bad picture but the fit is good.  How convenient.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

For lack of steel to fit an old time aftermarket cylinder head i am trying to fit the old head and carb'.

333d9vc.jpg

Amazing how well those nuts rusted to little strips of thread held the carb' onto the intake manifold.

Look how much i could port the manifold by if i had flexy grinder things...

sln0hj.jpg

Fuel fittings made from bits of tractor, bits from a gas regulator i found at the rubbish dump and a broken fitting that was left in the fuel inlet of the carb'.  Unscrewed the broken piece from the carb' and drilled it out enough to slide some tubing in it.  Soldered the tubing into a piece from the gas regulator and used the end from the tractor fuel fitting to fit it to the fuel line.  Probably was a simpler method if i could get more parts..

So the story behind my obtaining the tube cutter was i found it at the dump, someone threw it away thinking it was useless, looks like they simply wound the cutting wheel closer and closer to the little wheels the pipe is supposed to roll on and squashed the tube flat and they kept winding it until it pressed it's way through the tube?  That's not how it's supposed to work.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Trying to get the old ignition sensor working again.

Made some connectors from offcuts of copper and some bullet casings.

timer2.JPG.486f95233939734a12c8adbba6e0f3c1.JPGtimer1.JPG.e9c8a2548a2911e4a1fac444b8db4ffb.JPG

They fit, i will need to get some coils to work though.  Was thinking about making a kind of MOSFET exciter thingy, i have some transistors from an old stereo amp but they do not behave the way the transistors i grew up with behaved.

Today i found some red hard fibre washer material so i'll replace the insulation on that thing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

DSCF1465.thumb.JPG.6f892225de16bcb0645b21d7b7a50e4a.JPG

That radiator is full of holes and half the tubes have been cut and soldered up.  Some when a fan went through it, some from what might have been collision damage.  Tanks are pretty had it too.  Can't make a new one as i don't work at a radiator shop anymore.

DSCF1463.thumb.JPG.12828ec3f5ed7c2183b2e52a439f6f6d.JPG

Metal fatigue has taken its toll on the top hose fitting, it is cracked in several places and the pipe rotted off completely so i soldered this copper strip on there.  Not sure how long it will last but then i'm pretty sure the rest of that rad' is nearly dead too.

Liking the way it fits the whole "barely much left of anything" build style.

(Edit: lasted until the year 2020 when i got tired of it's leaks and overheating on hills.  Would still work on something driven to the ice cream shop & back once a month, if you wanted to shove black pepper and bread into the holes.)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

starter1.JPG.b64e8a43f4628b8c4269c539d06f399c.JPG

Found pieces of 3 90 year old starters.  Enough to make nearly one, would be enough for two but someone cut the bearing nose casting off one of them.

starter2.JPG.6dbefeb4d220aac71bce2d127cddbcd0.JPG

starter3.JPG.749e2d61b148e47b82b36cc5569aa40f.JPG

Made new spinny parts from bits of tube and offcuts.  Slightly better than rusted away to nothing parts.

starter6.JPG.cec38cffb0b7789d1dffb543631f4688.JPG

Old contact thing had copper bolt riveted to it, sheared off from over tightening.  Old timers would have thought that 6 volt electrics were so bad after tightening things and they get worse.

Made new one and soldered in a copper nail through the hole in the old bolt.

Most of the brushes are still good.

Can't be bothered uploading more pictures but this thing too ages to fix, like 5 days worth of work.  Had to repour the front bearing after i accidentally melted it out while trying to free up the rusted parts.  And made new insulation from shoe laces, which is what the old insulation looked like, with cord wrapped around it with beeswax to seal it.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Needs front wheel bearings, about $1,000USD spent on manking the diff' nice (high speed gears & reduce the disturbing noises) reline brakes, fit floor and probably a few other things i haven't listed.  Why is the exhaust bends crappy?   Haven't got a pipe bender at home, i can cut that section out and replace it later.  And make a proper hanger, it's tied up with wire for a test drive in those pics.

• Like 3