Ghostchips 1920-26 ford T bucket (of rust)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a problem i believe i tried asking in one of the technical threads but those posts are apparently deleted for being weird.

b88luh.jpg

Today while measuring whether i can fit ford wide5 hubs on the old spindles i found i cannot, so i tried measuring up the hubs next to each other. i believe the hub flange will sit slightly inward of where the wide5 hub flange would be, but the original hub was designed to carry the weight in between the 2 flanges it has on wooden spokes.  The ideal place to have the wheel adapter wound be between those 2 and they are 30mm apart.

From what i read on some government looking website http://www.lvvta.org.nz the most you are allowed to space the wheel is 20% of the rim width, the wheels i would like might only be 4-5 inch wide (they still have tyres on so i can't measure very well ATM)

So what do you recommend the wheel adaptors be made from?  i would like steel, 5mm would be be about right weight wise and be thicker than the wheel pressing but 8 would look beefier, but stupidly heavy.  Would i still be allowed spacers behind the adapter?  It's ok if not allowed but i would like to have the weight of the wheel nearer where the factory intended.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This is progress right?

944167863_cowlfloorboardriser.JPG.4bbf55589d3ed9df9d39776be5adf146.JPG

Just so you know i'm not making this up out of my head.  i even had a workshop weld the steering column mount.

This is a new floorboard riser thing, i made it myself and had someone redo my welds because my welder kinda died.

Only 2 exit wounds that i can find but little bullet shaped dents are evident in the dash and firewall, focusing on the gas tank.

DSCF1192.thumb.JPG.302bfd6f03fa464b4534db879e112d32.JPGDSCF1191.thumb.JPG.7e165e5f15c2996febdd7a39ac617589.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

DSCF1283.thumb.JPG.165d53da18c663ee2cec685363903d45.JPG

Arc welding panel steel is painful.  2 weeks of searching to find panel steel and it wasn't even the gauge i wanted, and no sheetmetal shops had a functioning guillotine and only one had a folder, it was worn out and the metal slipped out and wouldn't fold properly.  What a terrible world we live in / normal for outside world i guess.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Edit: it looks the same as last time? pretty sure i hammered it a little more and bolted it...

963679645_cowlframeect.JPG.1dec8a8c475d6f695472c152e3a962e6.JPG

Had to make a new rear panel that forms the seat back as the bottom had rusted off and someone cut the top part away as a rust cut to repair their own, here is the piece or original panel sitting atop the new rear panel.

DSCF1304.thumb.JPG.e6e557def5884083e3040a78ab97369b.JPG

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

After reading this tech thread, //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/46841-swaging-panel-steel-with-simple-tools/#entry1459298 i loosely followed tortrons method with a piece of rod and 2 rough lengths of wood.  Didn't even grind the rod like he suggested because i am running low of grinding disks and true enough the end of the rod cut the sheet metal in one spot.

This took me so many hours and yet ...

seat3.JPG.25af38a9599c96c755ffca41d4caca90.JPG

it is only a flat sheet and i didn't even bother to make the lines pretty or anything.  Riveted in as the original cars had no welds, i could only find rivets.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Made a terrible mistake  

DSCF1312.thumb.JPG.6a8c89d25440cecd7e91d99fadb773ff.JPG

Looks yuck.  rear curve is wrong.  Might just live with it.  Looks like i should have used more cardboard during design instead of bending wire and saying "close enough".  Looks like someone tried to blend a 32 rear and a 26 rear.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hinges look lame.

And i tried to make a nice latch, only to find it does not like the angle the lid closes on and one of my home made captive nuts has gone missing...  Even bonnet pins don't like the angle.  Might take the internals out and leave a handle on the outside and simply screw leather straps to the lid to keep it shut.  Even considered external gate hinges on the outside but.. nahh not unless i have to.

1qfx3a.jpg

lol i don't know what i was thinking.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

25a16k2.jpg

Boot latch thingy looks correct?

35iuayo.jpg

So i took some pieces of a torn rotted raincoat and some flax and sewed them to make of that piping/fenderwelt stuff.

291zwn4.jpg

And here it is hiding the gap under the wood where the upholstery would be nailed, my choice of manuka and flax roughly cut with an axe not be the commonly done thing but i wanted it to be NZDM...  luckily it is only held in with some screws and little bolts so i can remove it when i change my mind.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Wooden parts need to be replaced with metal and the metal needs to have someone go over it with a better welder, i really need to acquire a proper MIG or TIG..

Imagine a picture of the windshield frame mocked up in wood, with tubing that has slots cut in it for the glass, bent to shape in the fork of a tree, then welded together with an arc welder.  It's not as bad as you might think!  It's so good it fools everyone except the most knowledgeable experts.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

This seat is lacking in padding.  Has more padding than the alloy bomber seats i was thinking of making. 

DSCF1376.thumb.JPG.0c961483ce9bcdc204653914f4ccfbc3.JPG

The wooden frame is based on the original seat frame, except the originals had coil springs and horse hair padding.  i don't know how to make horse hair or coil springs.

DSCF1377.thumb.JPG.ac689f165751eb83bba0ec3d60d69489.JPG

Bundled reeds tied up with flax as padding.  Not that comfortable.  Probably alloy buckets would be slightly more comfortable?

Edit: After 3 years of driving, the bundled reeds have proven to be good enough, at the time.  Only now (February 2020)are they losing their springiness.  Guess i should find some seat foam soon. 
Lucky the 'wastelands' as some people jokingly refer to the place i live, is no longer suffering from the 2009 GFC.  Could be a new GFC with concerns over that virus (common cold?) coming from wuhan lately though..

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

This week i spent way to long making and remaking parts.

Replaced wooden things with metal ones.

windowframe1.JPG.715f65f6b4649e6d496e033e68ce01b0.JPG
This is an image of the windshield frame left hand edge, upright post thingy, with a metal cone replacing the wooden one, and some leather inside the metal cone to form the friction material.
It's supposed to allow the windscreen to be tilted or folded flat, but only when i want it to be.

Repaired the old oil fired tail light.  And by repair i mean replace most of it.

lights2.JPG.f68e8d82107effb242eb94f32634b873.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Took apart a diff'.

Great thing about the old dinosaur oil is it has been underground for 100 million years and hasn't gone rotten.  This bolt still had some on the threads after 70 years in the weather.

rvw0gg.jpg

Under the crumbly leather and felt oil seals the bearings look perfect.  Too bad the shaft sticking out the end is so rusty, only good if i wanted to narrow the diff now.

2i9mik6.jpg

Brake backing plates might need replacing but the brake cams freed up nicely.  Will probably replace those though because they have some rust pitting that the LTSA might be prejudice against.

14abuk0.jpg

In with the old and out with the new. Replaced shiny bracket with rusty old one.  Floor boards don't fit exactly but i guess i can trim them.

2465ijk.jpg21kmkk0.jpg

Free bracket with chipped paint anyone?

Another oldschool user has provided me with a a template for making the windshield glass, just one problem.  My frame is made of round tubing while the originals were flattened tube, hence the glass would be a tidy bit too small.

2khs41.jpg

2dba2cz.jpg

Random shot of light bracket.  Only problem is there are no places to bolt fenders which i'd need if i don't get a fenderless exemption.  But i think fenders would look dumb on this particular car anyway.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...