Front End Oil Leak Help! Sierra DOHC 8V

wickmyster

I know there is a lot of hate for these engines on this forum, but I love them, that is why l I have just purchased my second Sierra which has a carbed 8V DOHC, but it is leaking a lot of
oil from the front somewhere, the car is stuck 5 hours away at my
parents house, what is the most likely culprit...the crank seal or the
oil pump or???

Ford 8V DOHC.

Oil falling out of an English engine is not that unusual but I have the felling this one is extreme.

Easiest way to find where the leak is, is to clean down the front of the engine with kero or spray can degreaser then have a look to see where the oil is coming from.

Assuming you have the twin cam version.

I can see why people have got their hate on, not one of ford's better engines.

Crank seal is the most likely cause and the easiest to fix.

The second option is the front edge of the rocker cover, again not to bad to fix, pray and hope it's one of these.

Third option will be a major to fix, because it's has chain driven cams the whole front section covering the chain could be the problem.

Next one will also be a big job, It could be leaking at the front edge of the sump where it meets the front cover, this seems a long shot but if the cam chain has been done this area can be a pain to seal if isn't spotless before it's put back together.

One last one, If the cam chain was really bad before it was fixed it could have worn a groove in the cover causing the leak.

Assuming the earlier version with a single belt driven cam.

4 places.

Crank seal, Cam seal, Rocker cover and front edge of the sump.

• 3 weeks later...