Robbo's 1972 Toyota Corona Coupe

Robbo

i think the front springs in my corona are cut, and mated up with some short koni shocks. sits perfecly. and handles extremely well. seeing as these are double wishbone, cutting the springs is alot more forgiving than mcphereson (though still not legally legit) otherwise chamberlains will be able to make you up a set. 

you'll probably also need to get the rear leaves reset by them too when you get the blocks put in cause 2" isnt heaps. 

i think the front springs in my corona are cut, and mated up with some short koni shocks. sits perfecly. and handles extremely well. seeing as these are double wishbone, cutting the springs is alot more forgiving than mcphereson (though still not legally legit) otherwise chamberlains will be able to make you up a set. 

you'll probably also need to get the rear leaves reset by them too when you get the blocks put in cause 2" isnt heaps. 

Did a bit of research and apparently Gemini springs are the same size but 1.5" shorter but I'm thinking I might just chop them and use the left over coin for new shocks hah.

Yea may end up getting the leaves reset but figured I'd throw some lowering blocks in first since that's pretty easy and see how it sits. Cheers for the advice though, much appreciated.

Had a read through your build thread, pretty sweet setup you've got with the bike carbs. Did you replace your clock with a tacho?

yeah gutted the clock cause it never kept time properly (discovered an adjustment in the process lol) and fitted a retro tach in the housing 

took a fair few hours to do a really good job of it, but got it almost looks factory. ive seem people hack up their dash and fit ugly 5" monstrosities and the like 

Yeah the 18RG is definitely a good upgrade for a little car like the corona. My one is probably double the horsepower of the old flogged out 6R.

Downside of them is finding certain parts. A lot of people that own them tend to hoard 18RG stuff and the price of complete motors seems to have gone through the roof lately. There are definitely cheaper and easier options but they do look the part and sound so sweet especially with a pair of sidedrafts at full noise

yeah gutted the clock cause it never kept time properly (discovered an adjustment in the process lol) and fitted a retro tach in the housing 

took a fair few hours to do a really good job of it, but got it almost looks factory. ive seem people hack up their dash and fit ugly 5" monstrosities and the like 

Yea looks pretty good, will probably give that a go too later down the track. My clock doesn't even run anyway hah

Yeah the 18RG is definitely a good upgrade for a little car like the corona. My one is probably double the horsepower of the old flogged out 6R.

Downside of them is finding certain parts. A lot of people that own them tend to hoard 18RG stuff and the price of complete motors seems to have gone through the roof lately. There are definitely cheaper and easier options but they do look the part and sound so sweet especially with a pair of sidedrafts at full noise

My 6r seems to run pretty well, got some sort of receipt that suggests it was rebuilt at some point but I'll just wait til a good deal comes up on an 18rg. Yea prices definitely seem pretty high for a 40 year old motor and they don't tend to be complete either. Did you cert yours or does it get wofs fine without it?

• 3 months later...

After about four trips to Autolign the sway bar bushes are sorted. Many thanks to Tim who's the big man there, super helpful!

Anywho have done a few bits:

-Replaced a headlight
-Cleaned and regapped the plugs
-Valve clearances
-Made up a new battery bracket
-New shocks

Valve clearances made a good difference, sounds much less like a tractor! Still need to mess around with the carb though, idles very low on cold starts.

Have ordered some 14x6.5s in the same style for the front from YHJ auctions so eagerly awaiting those.

Turns out there are two gearbox cross members for these Coronas, one to suit auto/W50 and one to suit W40. Bit of pain since I'm putting a W40 in so have to locate a new cross member. Also need a pedal box and a speedo cable so on the hunt for those now.

Have been driving it around quite a bit, seems to turn a few heads despite being pretty rough with the primer patches. Just needs to be manual and I'll be stoked with it!

ze2nxu1k.lao.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...