Robbo's 1972 Toyota Corona Coupe

Robbo

• 2 months later...

Not often to see this anymore. Your Corona is looking great. Awhile ago I spotted a same model one here in Rotovegas. It been lowered, swapped with 18rg and T50 gearbox. 

Yea not too many of them around, cheers for the photo of the 18rg conversion. Was thinking it was pretty much a straight bolt in but looks like it'll clash pretty badly with my brake booster.

Hey bro nice car :) just did A 18rg conversion on my rt104 corona if u need any pics of where all your manual bits go etc just hit me up n ill flick you thru pics of whatever you need :) was orginally a 18r auto 3 speed.

Cheers man, am tossing up an 18rg conversion later down the track.  The 6R in it at the moment is pretty much a 18r which is fairly similar to the 18rg but looks like its not quite as simple as bolting it in. If I have any problems with the manual conversion I'll hit you up, thanks!

Used to see this heaps out my way in brotown.. haven't seen it in a while so I'm assuming you took it out of the death zone?

I got it from a guy out Sumner way but I pretty much live on the edge of the red zone so it hasn't really got any better hah

• Like 1

www.whitewalltyres.co.nz

In Waller tce, Sydenham.

Used him lots, good work.

Cheers mate, exactly what I was after. Asked around a few tyre places but nobody seemed to know anyone who did it.

Yea not too many of them around, cheers for the photo of the 18rg conversion. Was thinking it was pretty much a straight bolt in but looks like it'll clash pretty badly with my brake booster.

Being a coupe Corona are rare and value will go up in times mate! That red one I met here was an auto conversion from his other coupe donor car. He told me was a straight forward job. I guess the cross member may had been modified or donor from other Toyota with 18rg fitment bracket. That one wasn't as tidy as your one. Should paint your bottom half black area to the less of the original blue colour. 

Being a coupe Corona are rare and value will go up in times mate! That red one I met here was an auto conversion from his other coupe donor car. He told me was a straight forward job. I guess the cross member may had been modified or donor from other Toyota with 18rg fitment bracket. That one wasn't as tidy as your one. Should paint your bottom half black area to the less of the original blue colour. 

Hah I hope so! Ah ok interesting, looks like his doesn't run a brake booster though so has a bit more room for the carbs. May still fit I'm not too sure, also I think the throttle cable is a little tricky unless you have the 18rg one.

Yea I'm not that keen on the black, I presume it was done to cover up the repairs in the sills I had cut out. If I get the repairs repsrayed I'll be getting rid of the black.

• 1 month later...

Sweet Corona mate. I have an RT84 with an 18RG. Was 6R with W40 originally. Factory brake booster fouled on carbs so I just ran a remote booster. Other than that and making up a throttle cable and bracket, it was a pretty straightforward swap.

W40 slave is identical to W50 for R-W bellhousing. Think I bought the last one from repco a couple years ago so if you can't track one down in NZ then rockauto.com has them.

• Like 1

Sweet Corona mate. I have an RT84 with an 18RG. Was 6R with W40 originally. Factory brake booster fouled on carbs so I just ran a remote booster. Other than that and making up a throttle cable and bracket, it was a pretty straightforward swap.

W40 slave is identical to W50 for R-W bellhousing. Think I bought the last one from repco a couple years ago so if you can't track one down in NZ then rockauto.com has them.

Cheers dude, good to know. Have been keeping an eye out for an 18rg for a while now but they don't come up too often. How does it conpare to the 6r? Noticable increase in power?

cool coupe, wheels look choice too

Thanks man, should look pretty good once I get it lowered.