Matt's 1951 Chevy Pickup - Discussion

_Matt

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I get excited every time i see you have posted an update.

Man your work is inspirational!
What a fucking top notch job you are doing dude! Some serious next level shit.

This thing is so legit. Eagerly waiting your next update!

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Goat said:

So true.

• Like 2

On 11/7/2017 at 22:22, Goat said:

This^^ 

if i See a post about your truck, its the first thing i look at, 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/7/2017 at 22:22, Goat said:

pretty much what every one else has to say and the above. 

1st thing i check when on os is your build thread

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
22 hours ago, f100_dreamin said:

I see you have your compressors plumbed straight from the compressor into the tank, just curious as to where are you going to mount water traps? Most of what I’ve seen has them between the compressor and tank (which is where mine are in my Belair) 

Never really thought about water traps and my dad never mentioned it to me, but just did some research and from what I could find a large majority just drain the tank every so often. Corrosion won't be an issue for me because everything is ali or brass.
Otherwise it seems like it's better to have the trap between the tank and valves from what I found.

When you are setting up a water trap in an air suspension system the reason for doing so is to trap water/particles before it goes into the valves, which can cause them to become faulty/fail.

Almost 85% of the setups I see, people put the water trap in between the compressor and tank. THIS IS 100% WRONG!

An air compressor over time generates heat when running for an extended amount. That hot air passes through the water trap and into the tank. Due to magic and witchcraft, when hot air becomes cold in certain climates, its causes condensation which builds up in the chamber of air aka tank.

Water traps should be located after the tank, before the valves, that way any condensation in the tank is stopped before the valves. It also doesnt hurt to put a check valve aka one way valve after the water trap, before the valves, incase of loss of tank pressure. that way it will assure you the car will stay in the air so you can drive to rectify the issue.

• Like 2

Yeah I’ve seen many different opinions from different people who build lots of bagged rides. When I built the Belair I read an article from a well known builder (although I can’t recall who it was now haha) that said to put them between the tanks and compressors, I’ll be honest I get a heap of water out of mine when I empty them. With that being said I haven’t drained the tank in a while so would be interesting to see how much moisture is in the tank (the tank drain is in a cock of a place to get to so I’ve been lazy haha) 

Im running a stainless tank and brass fittings so hopefully corrosion won’t be an issue. Have had to clean the valves once because one was sticking but otherwise it’s been a reliable setup. 

I think having water traps between the tanks and valves would be ok if your running a manifold but if your running individual electric valves then having to run 4 water traps would be a pain haha

DF38F790-6902-4AE1-8FA3-F5A40003A50A.png

Just found this, similar to what I had read when building the Belair. 

Obviously if if the first water trap hadn’t been there then that water would’ve ended up in the tank and would’ve been caught by the second one 

Interesting. On my shop compressor I have a water trap away at the end of the pipework.

On my car it is between the compressor (on the engine) and the tank (at the back) so the air would cool down a little. It seems to collect some water, and a bit of oil residue too. The tank I bought doesn't have a drain port in the bottom, and I was reluctant to weld one in, so it has never been drained. The system is still working after two years though.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2018 at 13:58, 64vauxhall said:

man i cant wait to see this truck complete.

cant wait to see what you do with the upholstery side of things. let alone finishing the truck. 

shit is insainly great!

keen on a visit on my way to chch nats.

Thankyou! Neither can I!!!

You're more than welcome to call in, if there's others convoying as well I'm sure they can come as well

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Seedy Al said:

Dude how do you get your pipes so straight and bent beautifully? 

I just use one of these and spend ages working out were the bends need to be. Don't worry I do have a pile of messed up ones as well haha

300%20Bender%203-4%20View%20B_72dpi39.jp

• Like 1