horn woes

shavenYak

Haven't been able to get my horn working properly for a while now, just intermittently.

Have traced it (I think) to an earthing problem in the steering column. The horn button is supposed to close and earth the horn, which gets a constant 12v. Problem is, the steering column doesn't seen to be earthed. The exterior of the column is earthed just fine, but the actual rod inside that the steering wheel attaches to isn't. How is this normally done in an 80s Japanese car?

Is there a contact ring on the back of the steering wheel?

This thing down the bottom looks like it might be it

Yeah there is but that only connects the horn's earth lead to the horn button. The horn button is supposed to get earthed from the steering wheel when you press it. Only there no earth at the steering column/wheel.

Spare column was earthed, but only because the top rubber bush was missing. So don't really want to use that

Yeah if I earth the thing it honks.

Anyway I came up with a solution. Rangi as, cause that's the only way I know how.

Drilled a small hole in the outer column, pushed in a spring from a bic pen, and covered it with electrical tape. Seems to work, we'll see how long it holds up for.