Hellnback's 1967 VC Valiant Regal - Discussion

hellnback

Every single six cylinder Val I've ever had which has had headers, and an iron inlet manifold/factory carb has had an off idle stumble created by the loss of the warming from the hot box. On at least two cars I replaced the headers (to be fair they weren't super flash ones) with the factory iron zhorst manifold.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep can confirm that you can have problems when you take away the manifold heat with a std carb, especially in colder climates. Dad always said that headers make bugger all difference when fitted to an otherwise standard engine and you are better off with the factory exhaust manifold. It will however sound way cooler with the pacemakers! 

I have heard of people adding a water heated block where the factory exhaust manifold bolts up under the intake manifold to help add the heat that the carb wants. 

On 22/05/2017 at 17:34, 1963 AP5 said:

Yep can confirm that you can have problems when you take away the manifold heat with a std carb, especially in colder climates. Dad always said that headers make bugger all difference when fitted to an otherwise standard engine and you are better off with the factory exhaust manifold. It will however sound way cooler with the pacemakers! 

I have heard of people adding a water heated block where the factory exhaust manifold bolts up under the intake manifold to help add the heat that the carb wants. 

I actually tried this. I still have the block somewhere. Iirc the hotbox flange on the bottom of the intake had to be milled flat  before it would seal.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RUNAMUCK said:

I actually tried this. I still have the block somewhere. Iirc the hotbox flange on the bottom of the intake had to be milled flat  before it would seal.

Did it have any positive effect?

I have been told that a lot of inline 6's with a carburetor actually benefit from having a functional heat riser. 

• 9 months later...