KiwiBirdmans 1962 EJ Holden Wagon

Kiwibirdman

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You are not wrong. A year ago I said 

Put it together, get @cletus to certify and get it registered. Easy, should be done in no time!

Still not finished.Its's amazing how much time goes on little bits. I can't believe the amount of time that I have spent on wiring.

Windscreens are booked for Thursday, getting close.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi, 

Your EJ looks awesome!

I have an EH wagon I'm building and am up to the brake booster puzzle, I sourced a VS Commodore booster as people had recommended it but seems too big to me. I know that the bonnet hinge can be modified but it looks to me it'll also contact the inner guard if I line it up with the original push rod. Any ideas?

I'm also looking at the VPW ones you used, did your line up/connect to the original push rod location? I was also wondering if standard master cylinders fit the VPW boosters eg Willwood or Commodore?

Cheers   

1 hour ago, 1964Holden said:

Hi, 

Your EJ looks awesome!

I have an EH wagon I'm building and am up to the brake booster puzzle, I sourced a VS Commodore booster as people had recommended it but seems too big to me. I know that the bonnet hinge can be modified but it looks to me it'll also contact the inner guard if I line it up with the original push rod. Any ideas?

I'm also looking at the VPW ones you used, did your line up/connect to the original push rod location? I was also wondering if standard master cylinders fit the VPW boosters eg Willwood or Commodore?

Cheers   

Funnily enough I was about to drag this thread up from the dead. After the car came back from the final cert inspection it got parked with a cover over it and ignored. A couple of days ago I fitted a horn, adjusted the bonnet stops and got it ready for compliance. Its booked in tomorrow, so wish me luck.

To answer your question, it is not possible to used a booster and keep the original brake pedal location. I used the clutch pedal and bent it over to the right and then used a commodore automatic foot plate and rubber. This has to be TIG welded and the crack tested. The 7 inch booster does bugger all, at some point I might get an 8 inch dual diaphragm and swap it out. I also ended up stealing the master cylinder off my 1968 firebird because it has exits on the right hand side and is very narrow. The bolt pattern on the booster is standard GM. Also to get a brake light switch I used a Willwood distribution block with a light switch and built in proportioning valve.  To pass the brake test I had to get some really good pads and the proportioning valve is not used. I guess I could wind it in for doing burnouts. Send me a PM if you need any more info.

• Like 1