Kiwibirdman

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Link to build thread fail.

Link to build thread

I like that you're putting the Holden 5.0 in. Years ago I flatted with a mechanic who had one, and he explained all its common problems to me. But as tends to be the case with old rubbish motors, it sounded awesome. My Alfa needed 3000rpm to tackle our steep drive in the mornings, but his Holden could grumble and gargle its way up there at idle.

• 2 months later...

I have spent a lot of time recently pondering the highly important subject of what colour to paint the car. There are 3 options that I have come down to

1. Satin black. I have always wanted a satin black car and I could get away with leaving the shiny bits as they are.
  2. Painted the original beige and white with a lift. The roof would get a gold metallic and a white pearl over the beige.
  3. Painted the original colours but with a mock patina. Way back when I bought the car I was thinking about leaving the paint alone but there was too much rust and someone had gone mad with rust kill and spray bomb PA10.

I am leaning very much to the mock patina, painting the whole car the dark brown colour that Holden used for their primer. This would be a matt finish. Over the top the original colours in a satin finish. Finally sand through to expose the base colour in the areas that would wear through, tops of the guards, front edge of the roof, front of the bonnet......

Thoughts please.

tricky this paint thing, isn't it?

I have the same dilemma also, I originally thought i'd just paint it the same colour, then just get it on the road matt black, and I also love the patina look as well.

Each have their pros and cons, if you can afford it(I can't so what ever I do I'll do it my self), and you're going to keep the car,  I'd just paint proper, you don't really want to be pulling it apart again in a couple years do ya?

Satin black is a bit over done, and faketina, can look naff is it's not done right.

That said, that panelvan looks farking bad-ass.

• Like 2

tricky this paint thing, isn't it?

I have the same dilemma also, I originally thought i'd just paint it the same colour, then just get it on the road matt black, and I also love the patina look as well.

Each have their pros and cons, if you can afford it(I can't so what ever I do I'll do it my self), and you're going to keep the car,  I'd just paint proper, you don't really want to be pulling it apart again in a couple years do ya?

Satin black is a bit over done, and faketina, can look naff is it's not done right.

That said, that panelvan looks farking bad-ass.

Lots of good thoughts here.

The wife has me on a budget for this project, which has been well and truly blown. If it was given a really nice paint job then i have to chrome the bumpers, door handles etc. I guess I'm looking at the thick end of 3 grand as a minimum. 

I guess I'm really leaning to the faketina, but in a subtle way. Kind of like this car though the paint is original.

http://ejehforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=75I really like the idea this guy had using a commodore strut front end. I was already committed to the Torana front otherwise I would have gone this way. The best thing about the commodore front is power steering is really easy, unlike the Torana front. 

• 5 months later...

Looking super sweet man.

If you want a spacesaver in 5x120 then grab a BMW one. It's not quite 5x120.65 but for the small amount of time you will use it,it will be adequate.

I have a 16" spacesaver out of a beamer in the boot of my Commy because the spare wheel well is half full with amplifiers.

• Like 1

Looking super sweet man.

If you want a spacesaver in 5x120 then grab a BMW one. It's not quite 5x120.65 but for the small amount of time you will use it,it will be adequate.

I have a 16" spacesaver out of a beamer in the boot of my Commy because the spare wheel well is half full with amplifiers.

That isn't a bad idea. Mind you the last puncture that I had that actually required a spare wheel was sometime last century.  

• 3 months later...

If you get stuck tracking down a couple of standard rims I could do a swap with two of mine as long as my tyres sit on the 8's which I'm guessing they will (don't know the tyre size off the top of my head)

Is the factory rim 6 or 7" wide?

If you get stuck tracking down a couple of standard rims I could do a swap with two of mine as long as my tyres sit on the 8's which I'm guessing they will (don't know the tyre size off the top of my head)

Is the factory rim 6 or 7" wide?

Factory HQ rims are 5.5 inches wide. HZ rims were 6 inches and I have a set of those. They will go on the front. 

The skinniest tyre you can run on an 8 inch rim is a 225. I'm hoping that the 225 tires that came with the 8 inch rims will clear everything when I put them on the 7 inch rims I got as well. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

Not sure exactly what shops are over in NZ.

But over here we have wheel shops that can modify the rims to fit.

Cut the centre out of the desired rim and weld it into a new outer hoop to the correct back spacing etc.

Many years back i had some genuine gts rims that were damaged so i had them modified. 15x8 for the rear. And full custom 15x4 for the front.

Looked pretty cool with 245 on the rear and 135 up front lol

• Like 1

I can't quite get over the wank factor of mock patina.

I suppose it depends on the car, and how it's done, but something about made-up distressing distresses me...

I hear you, aiming for the old guy had it and wore through the paint look than its a rusty piece of shit. If I hate it repainting wont be hard.

The Satin black look is also quite appealing, especially as the body is coming up really well.

Never know might change my mind completely and paint it something else.

I've got some word documents with pictures of injected wiring looms if that's any help to you? They're relevant to this type of engine into a LH Torana but might be useful. PM me your email & I can fire them off to ya if you want them.

• Like 1