RATMAZ's 1939 Ford Coupe

RATMAZ

A few more pic's 

KirITu.jpg

Behind the seat is a second Fuel tank or maybe I could use it to run moonshine.Anyway we put a heap of things in there when the car was shipped and customs didn't even look.

HftJjU.jpg

qRpSH4.jpg

Also the car has been fitted with a gear splitter turns a 3sp into 6.Only really needed in top gear for high way driving but still cool to have.

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

Update.Since the car landed In Oz its been running like crap. Back firing under load,It starts easy and will idles fine.

Then one day the Holley stopped pumping fuel down the throat.It may have just needed a clean but the gaskets where looking a bit sad so i sent it off for a rebuild.

With the carby back on it still backfired and ran like shit checked the float level and seemed fine.So problem still not fixed.

Also plugs have super black and dry carbon built up and one was a little different to the rest

DToKuf.jpg

Any Ideas?

Im also woundering if the spacer between the car and manifold is to big

Ry7WDf.jpg

Have also changed the oil and gear oil but have not yet done the Diff and overdrive.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

So five months later and sweet f all has been done to the car.

I noticed a valve tap/chattering kind of noise coming from one of the heads.

Still runs like crap thinking this is dizzy related.

Anyway with the rust spots on the plug and the oil looking a bit off I suspected water in it, so I gave my mate a jar of it to send off for free testing.

Results showed water,high levels of potassium & lead and slightly high levels of Aluminium and silicon.

Thinking I might pull engine out and start again.

Will update soon.

And as I dont have any pic's thought Id post sum of the cars my old man used to have.

img5063c.jpg

arot.jpg

• Like 4

Not sure who put this in but its goood for blowing hot air around your feet in the summer.Its operated via a switch on the passenger side

dh6w3e.jpg

Puts my Personal plates on from my old Rx3 coupe,black and gold kind of suits the car. Plates mean I Buzz You bit lame but got them free so yer.

lHzZfs.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Haven't done much as iv been spending money and time on other things.Decided to pull the heads off and see how bad it was.

zoZ3gb.jpg

Small patch of rust in cylinder no1 and a lot of rust around all the studs,actually pull seven of them out with the heads.

Gaskets not to bad but seems water was getting in still.

UdPq72.jpg

I think this confirms the block is a Mecurcy one due to the three different shaped water passages.

I5x7uy.jpg

Plan now is to pull engine and rebuild.With the tapping noise,mixed bunch of valves, and a fair bit of blow buy it seems like the right thing to do.

Also I should have a new electric dizzy and 8ba timing cover coming soon. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

So got sum new goodies the other day,I will need to find a new timing cover to fit the dizzy.

sDBy6A.jpg

Still haven't pulled the block yet.But I had planed to buy a few more parts after X-mas until a big mother f%$kern Kangaroo jumped out in front of my family wagon so more parts will have to wait.

T0iMxd.jpg

It was the second Roo iv hit in fours years of living in rural Australia so It may be time to buy a bull bar.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Well it's been a long time since last update and very little work has been done to the car. 

Iv recently moved to a new part of Oz so the guy who was going to help me built the motor can no longer do so.

On the up side Iv been in contact with a local guy name Lawrie kite who happens to be friends with the guy that brought my dads 33 sedan(now in Oz) and Laurie also ownes a ex Nz 33 sedan and they both live in the same town as I do now.Lawrie is willing to rebuild my engine for me and has infact seen my car a few times when it was back in Nz.

From what if been told he is very good at building flatheads.His 33 sedan is used to tow his caravan all over Australia and he also built and owns a 9sec flathead powered drag car.I plan to go see him within the next few weeks to talk more about getting this god dam car going again.

Anyway pic of the 39 in its new home

IMG_1006.JPG

IMG_1007.JPG

• Like 8

I forgot to add that I'm  sticking with the 8ba style dizzy but Iv got my self a new timing cover as well.

Now I'm not a fan of how the last engine looked and being a flathead they have to look the part I really don't like the look of the holley but twin 97s will have to wait as all funds need to go into getting her going again.So to cover up some of the uglyness of the carb I was thinking a caddy style air cleaner like the one in the pic.

IMG_1008.JPG

IMG_0949.JPG

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Engine is back together and almost ready to start.He has a list of all the wrong or bad parts that had been used in the build so I look forward to seeing that soon.

Will post a vid of it running when I get the call.

Also engine will be painted a dark green, close to factory colour.

0EFEC5E2-B71B-4CA7-90A7-BDEBF647C5A5.jpeg

• Like 2