HKM400's 1969 Lotus 7 Series 3

HKM400

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Because you can do a puss weak weld that will pass ndt, but will still kill you.

depends on the NDT method. visual inspection is important too. just because it doesn't have a crack doesn't make it adequate.

no NDT is not fool proof, it's not the kind of thing fools should be involved in though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A person may legally operate a vehicle with an expired WoF/CoF ONLY if the vehicle is being operated SOLELY for the purpose of bringing it into compliance, and provided the vehicle is safe to be operated for that purpose.

http://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/introduction/inspection-and-certification-process/operating-a-vehicle-without-a-current-wof-or-cof

• Like 1

Cheers for the info, presumably because the car was in at my mechanics for a safety check, few other bits and to tell me what I need in order to comply for WOF- driving it home could be acceptable in those circumstances? I need to get it home to make the changes required, but could equally tow it home on a rope or trailer with little attention from them. Could go either way I guess in the eyes of the cops... 

Be careful on that, I got caught heading home from the testing station (check point) and the cop gave me a ticket for no wof, he said the ticket would be waived if I got the wof within 28 days, was easy enough as I just had to wait for parts but screw trying to reason with some of them, if you do, have some paper work there to back up your story!

• Like 1

If anyone can think of why I can't select gears easily please feel free to comment- I have a feeling it's a bleeding issue as one of the joins wasn't fully tightened so I suspect there is a bit of air in the system- may not be getting enough fluid to the slave- insufficient pushing power... otherwise I'll have to do some pedal adjustment... hmmmm 

See if you can confirm that, get someone to pump the clutch, if there is any air in the slave it will travel further with each pump, (I've always had trouble with them when dry, takes a bit of effort to get it all out, bleeding at the master can help) if that works, lift the back wheels and put the box in gear, try to spin the drive shaft by hand as someone else slowly puts their foot on the clutch, this should release when the clutch does, good way to eliminate any possible gearbox issues.

All the obvious is covered I guess, oil, linkage, selector bolted down.....?

• Like 1

Will give that a go tomorrow, I think being that this is the first time it's been bled there is bound to be some air remaining. Yep got oil in the box and the shift remote is locked down. Hopefully your trick works! Cheers

Yes I think if I turned it over I would be long gone. Provides incentive to not push quite as hard... ha. Did drive it the other day for the first time, running like a bag of shit but still took it around the block, needs some serious tuning which will be beyond my expertise.