HKM400's 1969 Lotus 7 Series 3

HKM400

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I have seen Frasers with it done, and they are good solid cars, the guy welding my frame up had to chop a fair bit out anyway so welding was his preferred option. Hopefully mine will look half as good as a Fraser, some awesome ones out there.  

As for the exhaust, it was running inside the garage so made it a bit louder, however I did have to put ear protection on and it was only idling... Was a lot louder than my friends Subaru and that has a 3 inch pipe off the turbo all the way back, and a 4 inch muffler with no silencer. Needless to say the wof man may take interest... 

Good work man.

FYI Braising is the best method for joining tubes on a chassis, as you don't end up with HAZ that you get from welding which means that on a road car you are much less likely to crack it. And rivets are also legit, as they can't vibrate loose which you might find your screws do.

Makes sense, I guess the harder areas to get in with the welder are easier to access with braising. Plus there a few bits left in there which were strong enough as is. A few rivets have gone back in, just in much fewer numbers! Also wanted to make panels easier to remove without the use of a drill bit.

Cheers for all the comments guys  

If it is reg on hold then yea just get a wof, they won't have any idea what they are looking at so it will be fine, then just change WOF shops as you do more mods to the car so they aren't familiar with it. It is the done thing in the lotus 7 world.

• Like 1

The panels have been stuck on with adhesive and also have rivets holding them in place, also screws for ease of removal. Are they really considered structural? The chassis is braced throughout the front and sides of the car, the side panel is really just a covering being a thin sheet of aluminium. Are they considered to add significant structure? I guess they would serve a purpose of slowing objects down in a side impact but really the chassis will be taking the bulk of the impact?