Y30 Gloria Wagon

kyteler

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So it's been a fairly busy weekend. Managed to do a bunch of switching from the old to the newer replacement motor.

Had to cut some rust out of the engine bay which had developed from the previous persons use of terrible sealant (I assume more bathroom based crap, I'm beginning to wonder whether Malcolm had anything to do with this car but then realistically it's in too good a shape for that to be the case.)

You can see their weld in the centre of the strut tower. Magical. Also the section I cut out on the left.

16228435509_ae82615588_b.jpg

I left their weld as I was not in the mood for more delays and shenanigans, ended up patched like so.

16388693726_b25b4d2b85_b.jpg

Broken exhaust studs and a few niggles lead to some delays here and there with getting it all together but Saturday I had the new clutch, etc. on gearbox attached and basically it was alllmost ready to go in, today's efforts resulted in it actually being in.

16414676795_b5d19f6550_b.jpg

The result was this, despite a few wires not being connected:

Also, whilst I was fluffing about, I got rid of the gold painted lower section on half of the car as well as all the remaining pin-striping. So it went from this.

16227262270_b46c1bfb3d_b.jpg

To this

16414673615_aaef27b01f_b.jpg

Once it's all a nice even colour, I've got some other plans for paint that I will reveal once it is completed.

Also, I finished modifying one of the lowering blocks to fit the larger locating pin. I'll do the other over the course of the week, next week as well as getting onto the axle bearings and seals.

16414676705_9bf07b3839_b.jpg

After I reconnected the radiator and plumbed everything in I discovered that my injectors are leaking so I'll have to sort that as well. Hopefully can just rob some off the old motor although that's probably not the done thing? I don't know. Someone pipe up if that's a stupid idea.

Brocky, I like the 430 front as much as the Y30, that is to say... not that much. The 720 is bad fucking ass. We had one when I was younger, King Cab with a canopy, there was a mattress in the back and large family meant not everyone could fit in the cab so you'd throw a few kids in the back. SAFE AS FUCKING HOUSES MATE! Fond memories.

• Like 1

I saw one in traffic yesterday, and instantly thought of you.

so basicly, yeah, I'm already on the look out pretty much.

I do know a guy who wrecked one, but it was long ago. He sold it to the guy who has that nissan Y40 V8 you were interested in a while ago. There will be a shitter rotting in a paddock somewhere.

So... last week I decided to investigate why the cargo window didn't work.

I remember when we bought it initially, Graeme reckoned the cable was broken so I figured I'd open things up and take a look.

16516631855_5f72c155ab_b.jpg

The old block of wood below your window fix. Dumb.

So after I spent a while wiggling everything around to get stuff out and unbolting things etc, I discovered he was very much correct.

16514904801_f7aba9561a_b.jpg

16490612666_d7f1978a76_b.jpg

The sad part is that I will need a new mechanism. Well I could fix the fused and rotted parts and get the cable mended/a new cable put in, but.. meeeeeeeeeh. No luck finding a replacement on Yahoo! as yet so we'll see.

Am currently waiting on parts for the diff so I can get that sorted. Would like to change to 3.5 or 3.7 at the same time but I can be stupidly lazy at times.

Also the last time I went to start it, even after it running so fabulously before, it wouldn't start. I found what I thought was the injectors leaking. It appears that the guy I got the new mtor from wound one of the tie downs too hard against the fuel rail, so it had separated. No biggie, I replaced it with the one from the original motor the problem is that now (as I mentioned) it doesn't start. I bled it up again, not sure what's going on, can only be fuel though right? Air pocket in the pump maybe? I don't know. Will take a proper look at it when I can next.