Y30 Gloria Wagon

kyteler

I finally did something else on this thing.

A little while after the initial engine transplant it started smoking on startup and being a cunt to start.  I assumed it was just the glowplugs so I wasn't really too worried about it, other than people being all "WHAT A SMOKEY PIECE OF SHIT" after it stumbled to life when cold.

Anyway, last week I messaged Cam about new glowsticks and he told me to fuck off, so I messaged Scott and he said genuine were $160 per stick.  So I said "Fuck that." and figured that I would just throw the ones from the old engine in even if they're old and potentially also fucked, just to see if they were any better.  

We finally had some non-windy rainy weather so I did that this weekend in the luke warm sunshine.

Pulled old glows out and they had different end shapes front (3) to rear (3).  I had noticed in my investigations that there were different lengths available for the RD but these were all the same length, so anyway.  They all looked like a metal stick with carbon staining.

I then proceeded to pull the glows out of the old motor.  They were all the same shape which was the same as 3 of the ones from the other motor.

Side by side and some number reading later, it turns out that the ones from the newer (current) motor were 6.7V and the old ones were 12V.  I guess I killed the 6.7V ones running the 12V Y30 setup through them.

Anyway, older 12V sticks matched to cars 12V circuit.  One glow, starts instantaneously with absolutely no smoke or hesistation.

Problem solved.  So didn't even think they'd be different voltages though.  Cripes, such a noob.  Something I'll add to the memory banks for any further diesel shenanigans.

• Like 4

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I need to roll the guards/get narrower tyres as I'm chewing sidewalls on this bitch too.

Eeeeeeh.

Hoping to get the Astro's onto it but they're super neg offset and unlikely to fit on the rear properly.

Have Tridens to put on with narrow tyres but need some shank nuts for them, which I would need for the Astros anyway.

It's a wheelie big dilemma.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yeah, definitely a rad wagon you have there!

S12 is coming along nicely. I bought a sweet FJ20E for it recently

I just ordered BC fully adjustable coilovers...

Its starting to spiral out of control with parts... I think I have the sickness.