Y30 Gloria Wagon

kyteler

So the little sister was having a few issues, weird noises from diff/drivetrain had been there from day one. Blown headgasket was new because she cooked it due to leaking radiator and waterpump.

Anyway, yesterday I changed it from this complete driveable vehicle:

15607750763_b64c4919de_b.jpg

To this:

15623241803_11503f9a28_b.jpg

...but not before attempting to remove the disgusting dog smell that has infused itself into the car.

16240228362_e5818fc1a3_b.jpg

Dehumifier plus Glade - Plug in. Left that running in there over-night. It's still going. Take no chances.

Anyway, after I pulled the motor and gear-bag out, I discovered a rather sloppy input shaft on the gear-bag so this morning I investigated further...

16061863540_ce3c44b895_b.jpg

Hmm... so ahhhhhhhh missing the shell you reckon? Guts...

16061711078_116dfdb7fc_b.jpg

Yeah, definitely.

At least the plug magnet does good work.

16249240825_6206fc74a7_b.jpg

MOAR TO FIX!

Someone find me a cheap non-blown RD28 KTHXBAI!

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/46549-wtb-nissan-rd28-engine-si/

• Like 3

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Chrome bumper and rear wheel drive means this is old school enough for a proper project thread, KK said so ;)

I've got a 3.5 diff here if you want to give her done really long legs haha

Starting to get motivated to do something with mine, last thing I did was take 7+ litres of water out with the dehumidifier, kinda really need to find seals and pull the screen out to fix the rust/leak there.

Is the 3.5 a CA43 (that is to say C200 but I guess the 3.5 would make it a CA35) setup still? Just thinking about mounts, etc. Would happily put in longer legs because the first 2 gears are fucking useless at the moment anyway.

If I ever get this one sorted Raizer, I'll be obliged to take it to Wagnats where you have to do the same/meet you there in yours.

It's a 3.5 R200 center from a R32, the C200 is a live axle version of the R200.

From what research I've done it's a direct swap to put the R200 guts into the C200 case, seems to be how a lot of mini truck guys put LSD centers into Navaras.

Somewhat related, from all I've read the front diff in (some?) Safari/Pathfinders is a C200 and the air lockers etc for them will fit the Gloria/pick up.

Oh if that's the case I can get an R200 piece of piss, there's even a clutch type R200 sitting in my shed (but it's my brother's for his S30Z) I believe I have at least 1 R200 about but getting an open or even VLSD R200 is pretty easy peasy and relative cheap these days.

Is the 3.5 a CA43 (that is to say C200 but I guess the 3.5 would make it a CA35) setup still? Just thinking about mounts, etc. Would happily put in longer legs because the first 2 gears are fucking useless at the moment anyway.

I see you have the later box with the bigger front bearing. 

you could just chuck in rb20 guts to get some better ratios

I see you have the later box with the bigger front bearing. 

you could just chuck in rb20 guts to get some better ratios

Does the RB gear set just go straight in?

/Could probably use the whole RB box couldn't you? Since the RD has the same bellhousing patten?

yea true. You can get a full bearing and seal kit from bts taranaki for around 160. i used one the other day and it come all japanese nachi bearings

Should have told rod you wanted trade boss. I use them for all my bearings and seals aye. The have good gear and can find most of the odd shit i usually need

This gives me more inspiration to start on the 230. I remember when this thing was for sale way back maybe 7 years? - its the car that got me fizzing over datsun/nissan wagons, well actually anything wagon.

I just sold the C32 recently that was LD28 to a guy with another C32 that had his RD28 hand grenade itself. they were so poooos - howd they go so wrong.

Like how all the Ceddy / Gloria / 260C had the removable radiator support for easy access.

Throw turbo on said LD28 while yor at it??

Nah, I'll leave it RD as I can't be fucked with the hassle of changing it, different series of motor requires cert. blah blah. More hassle than it's worth. If I was going to bother doing a conversion I'd put something far higher spec'd into it and that's not going to happen in a hurry.

• 2 weeks later...

Fixed the box.

Stupid box.

16171965457_7ed9911166_b.jpg

Then took this thing out, fuck it put up a good fight, I would hazard a guess it's never been out.

16369274452_a09f939dbc_b.jpg

Will scope it out to see what (if anything) is up, maybe change to a 3.5 or 3.7 nugget and then get some blocks of the 2" variety before slapping it back in.

• Like 1

Nah. Diseasal replacement is already inbound. Well, unless the guy has tucked me.

EDIT: Which he hasn't, at least with sending it. Got a text just now to say the motor is at TNL. W00t. Just need a clutch and a few other little bits and pieces, do a bit of welding in the engine bay, should be goooooooooooooooooooood/won't cost $120p/w in gas to get to work.

Got some 50mm pieces of aluminium that I have to modify the locating recess to fit as the only ones available were 35mm and I needed 37mm. Dremel will fix it. Have some Cima springs that might work for the front.

Replacement motor needs a quick look-over/clean up. Bit of rust in the engine bay needs the cut and weld. New clutch needed. Then maybe a quick bodgey paint-job and we'll be gravy.

Maybe next year I might be able to attend that Allan's Birthday Party event that's coming up shortly. Not this time around though.