Hannah and alex's 1966 classic trailer sailor - 6 yearly update... Cobwebs and rum

yoeddynz

Wow- .. we own a boat!!! As soon as we looked at purchasing our bushblock near the sea we had dreams/ideas of buying a boat. Then we found two British seagull outboards in the scrub which got us that little bit keener. But it was always sort of just one of those ideas like "yeah someday we should buy a little boat..." but I didn't really think it would happen.

Then on one fine day a while back we had popped down for a swim at the beach and got talking about how cool it would be to have a boat. But it passed. Then last week when I was out on a run overlooking the beaches I spotted a tiny little sailing boat gliding along on the sparkling sea and I got all gooey for it. Ooooh that would be nice..just cruising along, beer in hand, and just gazing out over the twinkling ocean. Yeah man.. I like that idea. So again I got home and did a quick search on TM and found this little beauty....

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=826337586

I thought nah.. it'll sell for plenty of neds but by today when I happened to be over in Nelson it was still only at $500. I rang the seller and had a yarn. He was cool and it all sounded good. Wish me luck I said, then I found a cushty chair in the Mitre 10 outdoor furniture section to sit my bum on and watch the auction fully expecting it to sail to great heights.. but in the final few minutes it was still at $500. I placed a bid and bloody hell I won it!

So I rang him back and organised a viewing. (always buy things on TM sight unseen)

Its awesome- I'm chuffed. Perfect size and solid as. It has been repaired by a local boat builder in 2012 having some rotten wood replaced etc but was re-painted with a not very UV resistant paint. So it does need some sanding back and repainting. The interior is bare and pretty rank with old white and blue paint. Looking forward to re-doing the entire interior. All the varnish on the outside wood has flaked away from sun damage. But overall its very solid and usable as is.

The seller has heaps of history about it. It is something along the lines of being the very first boat that Noel Honey and alex Trethaway built as a prototype leading on to the noelex 22 boats. I will learn more about this soon. Noel named it after his daughter Fiona. Sadly Noel died in 2013 but he had been down to see it after the seller had it repaired. I will try to contact Alex Trethaway soon and also find out if there is any decent forum etc to join. There seems to be a very strong club scene for these down in CHCH

I know nothing about boats- seriously I am a non boaty person but I love swimming and being out on a boat. Heaps to learn then which is exciting. I have never sailed ever although Hannah had done a bit of afterschool sailing in little boats. The seller who is heading back to Canada (eh) is keen on going out with us and giving us some lessons. I reckon it would be prudent to join the local sailing club too and maybe get more lessons. Very keen on all the learning to take place.

After some quick research on these I particularly like this little bit about them..

...'The light, easily driven hull is readily launched and retrieved from a simple trailer which does not require tandem wheels or brakes and the overall weight is well within the towing capabilities of the average six cylinder car'...

Well that's handy because I reckon it'll look fucking awesome being towed behind Hannahs trump wagon :-)

Photos I took while viewing it after the purchase

20150109_160049.jpg

20150109_160022.jpg

20150109_155812.jpg

20150109_155755.jpg

20150109_155607.jpg

• Like 9

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Two threads ? Goes off to look.....

Edit: now gone.

Yeah the sounds. Shit I grew up in Blenheim but barely know the sounds but for a few fishing trips. Our family has never been a boating family. Kayaks yes but nothing bigger.

Ha- cool..I'm the first in our family to own a "luxury sailing ship".

I'm not a boating person but I have noticed older second hand boats are real cheap a while back I was dropping of a bin at a customers house and started  talking to the neighbour, long story short he's got a fiberglass 25ft ish cathedral hull boat on trailer with it outboards etc never even started it in 5 years trailer is rotten and basically just wants it gone couple of k I think would seal the deal ,I think he paid 25k for it a few years ago

Ohh yeh the boats called fugly

What sails do you have? Main, No.1, No.2, spinnaker?

You've done well there, Noelex's sail really well for trailer boats. Hope she goes to windward well, that's the main gripe of bilge keelers, pretty well made up for in how close you can get to the beach though! For a man of your talents it should be pretty easy to knock up a galley unit. Stainless or plastic water tank in one of those cabin seat lockers, hand pump faucet and a cabinet with a sink. You could easily make a gimbled shelf thingy to sit a camp stove on. You need the gimble if you want a brew while you're underway.

I had a 22' Variant until a year ago, love small yachts.

• Like 2

Pretty sure Alex Trethaway is my friends Grandad who I used to sail with.  I should come up for a weekend  and give you some lessons I know how to sail. 

Yes please do- that would be quite handy! Also - please ask about alex trethaway and find out more info etc

What sails do you have? Main, No.1, No.2, spinnaker?

You've done well there, Noelex's sail really well for trailer boats. Hope she goes to windward well, that's the main gripe of bilge keelers, pretty well made up for in how close you can get to the beach though! For a man of your talents it should be pretty easy to knock up a galley unit. Stainless or plastic water tank in one of those cabin seat lockers, hand pump faucet and a cabinet with a sink. You could easily make a gimbled shelf thingy to sit a camp stove on. You need the gimble if you want a brew while you're underway.

I had a 22' Variant until a year ago, love small yachts.

OK- some of that I understood and some of it went well over my head. But fear not- on monday I am going to the library to get some books on sailing and then I can answer some of those questions.

Will keep it pretty simple inside. Cosy and clear with nice wood but mainly use camping gear for cooking etc as we have it already.

I'm not a boating person but I have noticed older second hand boats are real cheap a while back I was dropping of a bin at a customers house and started  talking to the neighbour, long story short he's got a fiberglass 25ft ish cathedral hull boat on trailer with it outboards etc never even started it in 5 years trailer is rotten and basically just wants it gone couple of k I think would seal the deal ,I think he paid 25k for it a few years ago

Ohh yeh the boats called fugly

Tell me more

Yes please do- that would be quite handy! Also - please ask about alex trethaway and find out more info etc

OK- some of that I understood and some of it went well over my head. But fear not- on monday I am going to the library to get some books on sailing and then I can answer some of those questions.

Will keep it pretty simple inside. Cosy and clear with nice wood but mainly use camping gear for cooking etc as we have it already.

I spelled gimbaled wrong. On my boat I just had a gimbaled stainless tray that I sat a camping stove on. 

255_original_size_ENO_STOVES_021.jpg

Along those lines.

http://www.wikihow.com/Sail-a-Boat

You can see in the first diagram where the keel is. Your boat is a bilge keeler as instead of one deep board it has two shallower boards on diagonals. This is great cause they happily support the boat on the hard, and draw less water, so you can get closer to the beach. The downside is that you have less "bite" in the water and slide sideways more when you are sailing up to the wind. 

Any sail in front of the mast is a head sail, jib and genoa are types of headsails.

I spelled gimbaled wrong. On my boat I just had a gimbaled stainless tray that I sat a camping stove on. 

255_original_size_ENO_STOVES_021.jpg

Along those lines.

http://www.wikihow.com/Sail-a-Boat

You can see in the first diagram where the keel is. Your boat is a bilge keeler as instead of one deep board it has two shallower boards on diagonals. This is great cause they happily support the boat on the hard, and draw less water, so you can get closer to the beach. The downside is that you have less "bite" in the water and slide sideways more when you are sailing up to the wind. 

Any sail in front of the mast is a head sail, jib and genoa are types of headsails.

Cool- learning already :-) Yeah the fella said that with the rudder down and some attachment locking it then the boat will sit happily on the sand when the tide goes out which is bloody handy because golden bay has some of the biggest tides around.

Im going to get some books out today and start learning. Might go pick boat up this week early as so keen to get it.

I'm helping dad pull a gimbaled two burner hob and oven combo out of a boat in his charter fleet as I write this.

It's got issues with its thermocouplers, but it's free if you want it. In Auckland.

Sounds good but picturing it being quite big? We will probably just use our single camp stove however I really like that gimbal idea and will make something. cant have my coffee/whiskey spilling now...

My father in law had one of these (it was blue) he raced it a bit and visits Nelson regularly

I know he would be keen to go out with you one day and give some tips

Yeah sweet- is he pretty chilled and patient though?