bens cx500 of procrastination

datlow

so I got this last Christmas 1980 something honda cx500 with hopefully only a worn waterpump mechanical

seal seller seemed to think it was dereg too (carjam was saying otherwise)

so drove from Hamilton to napier and picked er up

9Tf0ul.jpg

promptly went to the post shop and changed ownership and put rego on hold, best $10 i ever spent

then we sold our house and moved to wellington and ive been super busy working and procrastinating until I figured I have a week off so should get some parts sorted

saw that dime city had free shipping so ordered some shorter shocks, clip ons and smaller gauges (found some similar ones on trade me the next day for cheaper....grr)

before

205ft44.jpg

after no more wheel gap

30c0njs.jpg

also received a package of seals and gaskets etc from cxphreak in aussie got all the gaskets and orings etc that I need for same price as one gasket from Honda chur

so I just need to get of my arse and put all the seals in then reassemble into something resembling this

ei5kwm.jpg

http://www.moto-verso.co.uk/motorcycles/project-cx-cx500-cafe-racer/

• Like 3

I was down my mates just before Christmas and he had one of these in his stash. I was looking for bikes I could use to build seats, rear guard assemblies etc with a mind to small scale production so I could actually do you a seat if you wanted one.

• 5 months later...

9LgbRq.jpg

Been doing some more bits and bobs, motors back in decided the gouge in the camshaft will be ok(hopefully-think it's actually seeping a tiny bit of oil so will prob speedy sleeve at some point)

Oil seal for mechincal fan is leaking-the only seal I didn't replace!

Decided to cut the rear off just need to find a welder to put new hoop on and weld the exhausts up

(Ex Harley de baffled ones hopefully not to loud)

Cleaned up the wheels and etch primed going to chuck some black paint Over them and front forks- currently stripped for new seals and oil maybe some more low to match the arse too

• 2 weeks later...

I have one of these - but the Gl400 version,

Awesome bike, though I've had to do a fair bit of work to get it going okay.

The timing chain tensioner on mine crapped out and as a result the chain had milled away part of the block!

I'm very keen to see how you do your seat! Planning to fab up room for a pillion?

• 10 months later...

Sooo been awhile, yeah the timing chain on mine had gone but previous owner sorted that (but stuffed the water pump seal)

Got hoop for rear, then changed mind for now will attempt to fit original taillight and see if it's any good/ get it going and see if it can get a wof

Wheels painted black and guard chopped down (will paint black later along with frame once I know it's all wofable)

url=http://www.iforce.co.nz/View.aspx?i=mc034eel.s3s.jpeg]mc034eel.s3s.jpeg[/url]

• 1 year later...

Shit 2 Years..., got enthused after nats and tried starting this old girl

cleaned carbs and modded the starter motor (poor earth for the neutral brush so drilled and tapped to the alloy housing) 

fired into life and then had fuel oozing out from all the cruddy seals

turns out they made a different sized fuel tap for like 2 yrs and they are nla, all the Chinese ones are different so drilled the rivets and bought New seals tapped and fitted screws 

Found a guy on trade me selling lots of Kiehin carb kits so asked and he was able to supply a kit for same price as all the USA/Europe ones without the freight! ( t.me name Nikau)

also pulled the carbs apart and had them vapour blasted and re zinced 

1CFB79B8-7C1E-4E10-992B-0941550CD538.jpeg

407A21F5-0665-49A6-905D-F4C106C5A449.jpeg

6EE81927-D8A5-4705-BF7C-152238F28D7B.png

• Like 4

Oh and I “rebuilt” the shocks ages ago but they were shit could basically bottom them out just pushing on them, can buy new/upgraded springs etc for them but I then I saw  a guy was selling a rolling hyabusa for cheapish so grabbed it, bought some all balls conversion bearings and slotted it on

theres aftermarket clamps available a I should probably buy one as there’s not that much steering angle (have beaten the tank a bit for more) 

turns out it’s probably cheaper and easier to buy cbr forks as they use the standard bearing and may have more angle, meeh 

8F772032-A057-49B7-AEC2-280DB81F4662.jpeg

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

Ben here too, i have 2 cx500s of procrastination  and one with engine out but that wont be for long, need one going....lol

if i can ever help with anything just let me know....................dont see to many of these bikes around wellington nowdays............

cx motor 2 jan 2019.jpg

cx500_1_.jpg

cx500_.jpg

• Like 3

yeah ive seen a blue one coming out of the mt vic tunnel heading to kilbirnie a few times and a brown silverwing or gl500 going round the bays only once...................its so good to ride something rare, so many ppl remember them.

how much work till she ready to ride?

not much really, could of had it on the road a few times but keep changing my mind etc, have the carb kits to fit, finish the seat, clean up the front end wiring as it wont all fit in the new headlight, then see if anyone would certify the new front end and wof etc