EFI_LC's Starezza - KP60/Altezza BEAMS

EFI_LC

If your 02 sensor isnt reading then it will throw a fault code.

Also you cant check it directly but you can look at the long term and short term fuel trims.

If either of these are showing 0%,  +20%, or -20% then you've likely got problems.

On a standardish engine I'd expect the fuel trims to stablise at say 5% or so either way, that's how you can tell if it's working as these results change from the 02 feedback.

Also just remember that this data gets cleared when the ECU loses power so if you're using a kill switch you lose the 'self tuning' that the ECU does over time via 02 feedback.

The things that you cant check with OBD2 seem to be the fast reaction sensors which dont give you any useful information at 1hz or whatever...

Idle speed control, VVTI information or 02 feedback signals change quite rapidly and as best I know cant be viewed directly in OBD2.

Which is a pain as it would have been nice to be able to datalog the factory VVTI angles at full load.

Ah of course the ECU power feed needs to bypass the Main cut switch. Oops forgot about that one.

I think I will run a wire direct with a off/on switch and label it... Do Not turn off unless removing Battery.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_9626%201024x683_zpsh1gyfqks.jpgIMG_9625%201024x683_zpswnm4uxka.jpg

I ran out of Gas this morning so couldn't finish the Trailer this weekend although I have other things to do at least.

This shows the boards I will use I am putting 2 bolts in each then drill all the holes ready as I can't put them on until I have finished with the tilt points. The Tilt points are a back arm from a VN Commodore cut and grafted. I made a couple of boxes to weld onto a cross brace which will have gussets, when in the down position it will lock with a couple of spring loaded pins. 

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey what oil pressure do these engines run??

I hooked up the pressure gauge which goes to 100PSI and it was 90 when started and then settled to 85 but when I give a little rev to 3500-4000rpm it goes past the 100 and back to the start which I guess is about 120?

I have never had anything half that pressure before :)

• 4 weeks later...

Congrats on getting it out for it's first run!

I look forward to seeing it out on track :)

Cheers, It feels like I have achieved a few hurdles already. Built a trailer and set the car up with new running gear.

I like setting myself what I feel are achievable goals as it helps keep myself motivated to get the next one done.

So I fixed a couple of minor things which should smooth the ride a bit more, the rear brakes need to work out where to put the rear/front adjustment so i will have a fiddle with that next time out.

Friday 22nd test day is planned for some serious testing and learning for me/

Diff was welded up in readiness for the drags on 24th and will do for test day and give me a benchmark.

Still no rear swaybar but figured i will try something light to start with, maybe a 2litre coupe, Pickapart will get a visit.

I so looking forward to the next two weekends, this weekend is watching some racing in the Lady Wigram.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have been following this thread and I like what I see!

Reading through the discussion now I see you guys talked about the ecu / wiring alot. I have just picked up a dual vvti 3sge, Factory manual etc. I am not afraid of the wiring but I would like the keep the std ecu for the time being, do you think you could point me in the right direction for pin outs diagrams etc. Obviously the ones you found are good! :-D Cheers.

Also can I run it without the standard instrument cluster attached!?

I have been following this thread and I like what I see!

Reading through the discussion now I see you guys talked about the ecu / wiring alot. I have just picked up a dual vvti 3sge, Factory manual etc. I am not afraid of the wiring but I would like the keep the std ecu for the time being, do you think you could point me in the right direction for pin outs diagrams etc. Obviously the ones you found are good! :-D Cheers.

Also can I run it without the standard instrument cluster attachYes

For no dash you need about 10 or 12 wires and i got that from - http://www.mr2.com/files/phoenix/Blacktop%203S-GE_ECU_PINOUT.pdf 

I dont run any std instruments but I wired in the OBD2 so I could get digital data live

• 1 month later...

So the update as it goes, I have removed the Starezza from the track after assessing the needs to move ahead.

I removed the front shocks and found it was a stock unit, not even a gas unit, and the spring rate was less than half what I need, this explains the lack of handling and the reason I was scraping the front spoiler on the slight bump at the end of the straight and through pothole.

I have a plan that suits my budget and should make it go way better.

• 7 months later...

Update.

Took it out on the new shacks and front end setup and all i can say is "Awesome"

The difference is like chalk & cheese, I can now place the car almost anywhere in the corner I want at old cornering speed so looks like I need to corner harder than before everywhere and put the power down earlier.

The Engine overheated so I have retired it and currently bought a complete Altezza which had a front ender and that engine and box is sitting in it.

Problem:

Engine was running fine prior to removing it and  in the Starezza but it starts and then dies within a second or 2, I think everything is the same and my OBD2 is not working very well trying to lift the error codes.

I will continue to try as this thing has turned from a quick Starlet to a pocket rocket that should be able to move me into low 1:40's instead of the mid 1:40s it was doing, I did an estimate and laps I was doing with an engine that was boiling was around 1:43-1:42 and that was where I was trying to get without any engine mod.

I will update as I find out but if anyone has any clue what it may be then please let me know.

• 1 month later...