Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

11 hours ago, JustHarry said:

Tar/underseal we just use a heat gun and a scraper to remove at work. It's a shit job no matter what. But that's the cleanest way to remove. Wire wheels usually just heat it and make a gooey mess same with sandblasting or sanding 

Then solvents usually paint thinners to get the last sratchings off. 

Yeh, that's what I've been doing.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, Nominal said:

I want to do some 12v wiring on a 42d, so fridge power etc.

Where can I get good crimp connectors?

I have one of these tools in a drawer to squish them.

https://www.jaycar.co.nz/assorted-solder-splice-heatshrink-pack-42-pieces/p/WH5668?pos=19&queryId=e4b346968a1f3b9b158e89ea006bef48&sort=relevance

just use these for everything

ive started trimming the crimpy end off ring terminals and joining them to wires using them aswell instead of crimping them, so conveinenrt

• Like 2

What the beat solution to clean my gearbox internals in? I want to scrub them first and then dump them in the ultrasonic for a bit. Steel gears and yellow metal (brass? bronze?) synchros. 

The gearbox has a lot of metal through it so everything is covered in a gearbox oil sludgey glitter. 

• 3 weeks later...

Right you electrical wizards 

Looking at buying a swim spa to install down the back of section behind the shed - electrical requirements are hardwired 1x 32amp and 2 x 10 amp 

When we did shed power we did think of small spa and ran extra / also have a caravan circuit and plug down there but our sparky who installed is incommunicado 

Shed board has 63amp rated main switch if that means anything 

Any ideas why a swim spa needs 3 hardwired inputs ? Is the average home switchboard that then runs 60+ metres to a shed board then another 20m gonna cope with the draw ? 

bought a shampoo vac a while ago. game changer for cleaning gross cars

wanted a steam cleaner as well, but out of budget just to try it.  Got a used wall paper steamer for $5. Works mint, the wide fitting on the end just unscrews, yet to check if anything else screws into it, but its pretty decent spray for cleaning in corners and stuff.

Would recommend 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Does oil go off?

Just did an oil change on mums car yesterday. 

I reckon it must have been at least 5 years since it last had one. But I think last wof she'd only done 470kms. (During that year)

I know short trips is the worst thing for them. But does oil get too old?

1 hour ago, RUNAMUCK said:

Does oil go off?

Just did an oil change on mums car yesterday. 

I reckon it must have been at least 5 years since it last had one. But I think last wof she'd only done 470kms. (During that year)

I know short trips is the worst thing for them. But does oil get too old?

They have time based intervals for a reason

And nothing sealed for life is actually sealed, it just doesn't have a manufacturers interval to make servicing cheaper for customers. Just ask BMW owners how their sealed for life transmissions are....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

One for the structural (and potentially other) engineers amongst us. My youngest has constructed a forge/foundry using a refractory cement consisting of a 50/50 mix of casting plaster and paving sand. We poured the thing on Monday evening. He is questioning how long he should allow it to cure before lighting a fire in it. I suggested 28 days as being the standard period for testing concrete samples. He's hoping to get away with a lot less. All advice gratefully accepted. 

• Like 2