Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

Also, I only recently discovered Sch-40 and Sch-40s are not necessarily the same wall thickness, particularly in large diameter. I think. I could be wrong though.

Yeah large diameter gets all funky and you need to be super specific or you end up with expensive ground anchors.

There's even two very similar ANSI flange patterns with different pcds and numbers of bolts

So many shits and giggles

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ohhhhh I see. That makes sense sorta. Is the schedule akin to a pressure rating or flow rating of some sort?

Did you read what Tom said? He sums it up.

^this

Pressure piping mechano set rules etc

The OD remains the same for all "weights and schedules" but thickness changes with diameter and weight/schedule

Weights and schedules relate approximately to pressure ratings but there are so many variables there can't be a fixed number that sch40 is rated to 20bar or whatever. Different temps, products, earthquake ratings, other static and dynamic loads etc etc etc

On top of all this pipe is normally specified by NB nominal bore, NPS nominal pipe size or DN diametere nominale for euro/metric pipe, which is still actually usually the same actual dimensions as Imperially specified pipe. But not always. Then none of the sizes the pipe is ordered in actually corresponds to the OD or ID exactly.

End piperant.

• Like 2

Yeah large diameter gets all funky and you need to be super specific or you end up with expensive ground anchors.

There's even two very similar ANSI flange patterns with different pcds and numbers of bolts

So many shits and giggles

ANSI 16.47 Series A/B has cocked over many mortals.

Don't get me started on poly pipe.

Or some stupid duplex or Monel heat exchanger from a vendor that refuses to not use DIN flanges etc.

Or structure that's been designed with JIS structural members and being fabricated not in Japan.

Lol.

We did a big pipe job from 4pm till 6am on Monday/yesterday.

Thought we were finished then realized the new guy had welded some random dn flange to this pipe (I think it was dn 6 rather than 16)

So much fail.... Dunno where the odd flange even came from.

I hate steam pipes/ pipe threads/schedule/ plus anything even remotely imperial.

/should join police force

Oh man, and those stupid butterfly valves that have four (or more) threaded holes in 1" or bigger or whatever the stud size is where studs change from UNC to UN8 and the threaded holes are always the UN-something else.

Threaded/lugged wafer butterfly valves for end of line service? Not sure I've struck that issue before. Usually just suppliers sending table E when you ordered ansi150lb because they are only 2mm different and they didn't look/was what they had on the shelf. Then it doesn't fit because that 2mm does matter

Threaded/lugged wafer butterfly valves for end of line service? Not sure I've struck that issue before. Usually just suppliers sending table E when you ordered ansi150lb because they are only 2mm different and they didn't look/was what they had on the shelf. Then it doesn't fit because that 2mm does matter

On one job i was on someone made a LOTR "one does not simply" meme thing. One does not simply buy 1-1/2" UN8 studbolts.