Roman

Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Agreed with Markku, twisted cartridge rolls are the best. I've never had any luck with standard sanding drums really. Just make sure you true up your mandrel/arbor like you do with carbides etc and run them quite slow and its amazing how long they can last. 

Is it a specific one you're after or would you be ok with modifying the standard one to dual cable?

On 09/01/2019 at 22:41, Truenotch said:

PPS industries bring in the best ones (Pferd) and they sell direct. You could also try Tradezone or Twiggs in Welly. 

I personally rate rolled cones way above the cylindrical versions. They last way longer as there’s loads of layers to get through and they’re smaller diameter, so won’t fly apart as easily. 

prk-1225-a-80-rgb.png

https://www.pferd.com/int-en/products/fine-grinding-and-polishing-tools/poliroll-polico/poliroll-cartridge-rolls-pr-and-prk-polico-abrasive-cones-pco/aluminium-oxide-a-type/

Thanks, went to Twiggs in Welly today, the PPS website is rubbish. Twiggs is researching.

They are pricey suckers though

https://www.revolutionindustrial.com.au/poliroll-polico-150pc-abrasive-cartridge-rolls-pol

I just buy crappy ones off Ali, don't last fuck all (pretty shit lol), but they also cost fuck all, and I don't use them often.

eg https://www.aliexpress.com/item/102pcs-Set-Sanding-Drum-Polihsing-Bands-Sleeves-Grit-Pads-Set-Rotary-Tool-Rubber-Mandrel-Kit-fits/32858418308.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.4bf94c4dtXvdrp

I just use them for tight spots, power sander for everything else. I also only use a battery die grinder, so smaller diameter shafts, puhuhu

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Nominal said:

Thanks, went to Twiggs in Welly today, the PPS website is rubbish. Twiggs is researching.

They are pricey suckers though

https://www.revolutionindustrial.com.au/poliroll-polico-150pc-abrasive-cartridge-rolls-pol

They’ll be able to buy them through Saint Gibson Abrasives (Norton brand) and they shouldn’t be tooo silly on price.

One of the bolt holes that hold my starter in place is shagged. Should i attempt to retap with the same thread or drill out and step up a size? It's imperial thread so retapping the same means buying a set, stepping up I could do with my metric set. But, prefer to do it right...

Helicoil. Keep the same size and gain the benefits of stainless thread instead of alloy, and if it shits itself, well just grab it by the end and zoom it out. 

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, The Bronze said:

One of the bolt holes that hold my starter in place is shagged. Should i attempt to retap with the same thread or drill out and step up a size? It's imperial thread so retapping the same means buying a set, stepping up I could do with my metric set. But, prefer to do it right...

Regarding taps. I've recently been buying German Volkel brand taps. From CarbideNZ. They are quite affordable for what I think are quality taps. Miles better/sharper at cutting threads than the absolute rubbish "Frost" brand set I have. 

• Like 1

If you can fix the thread (by going bigger and metric) with a set you have, I'd go that way for sure. I can't see that fix not being up to the job anyway.

21 hours ago, Bling said:

If you can fix the thread (by going bigger and metric) with a set you have, I'd go that way for sure. I can't see that fix not being up to the job anyway.

This is fleeting with danger of making future Mr bronzes life a worse place for the sake of a helicoil set

Having not the right spanner for putting metric/imperial bolts in opposite thread holes and other surprises lay down that path in the future

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SOHC said:

those things are piss useless

I'm wanting to use them to trim the edges of cuts in sheet metal to get good-fitting patches. They should be good enough for that?

Not heavy grinding/stick removal.

Don't have a belt sander by chance? Flipped upside down it could make for a good patch shaper. I use my powerfile to do it as I don't have the space to set up my belt sander.

Doing the patches is not problem, I have a belt sander setup. 

It's more about getting the cutouts in the panels done nicely.

I want to be close to this good, and I find it hard to do neatly with a cutoff wheel.

Picture1215.jpg

Picture1217.jpg

• Like 4

Buy a power file / finger sander thingy - perfect for stuff like that - air ones are cheap as or toolshed 240v version - belts are $1.99 for 3

• Like 1