Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

2 minutes ago, sr2 said:

LOL, I have to confess I haven’t had one of those in bits for a long, long time. Even when all the internal parts were available new they were pricks of things to work on. The two piece Bakelite valve body had a habit of breaking when you unscrewed them and it was often a mission to get them to hold a vacuum when reassembled. As a rule of thumb if an earlier style tandem PBR Mastervac is is working and most importantly dry inside all I would do is replace the output shaft seal & lubricate, replace the foam air filter and lubricate the input seal. In their defence they were reliable as long as the master cylinder didn’t dump brake fluid into them.

Yes the cans are hard to separate, even with a jig it’s quite easy to bend the studs or even rip them out. The trick is to work your way around the lip with a small pry bar to break the seal, even then the diaphragm rubber sticks to the steel can like s*** to a blanket!

Another option is to bite the bullet and spend around $500 AU on ebay and buy a new aftermarket booster/master cylinder assembly.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/222137052973

I think Flash bought something similar for his Mustang, could be worth contacting him re the supplier.

With rear brakes I never trust the self-adjusters, a little extra effort when assembling often avoids excessive pedal travel issues. It’s also important to radius the shoes to fit the drums.

Feel free to PM me if there’s anything I can do to help.

The shop told me they had an old fart come in to consult on it and he said they were a pain. I want to keep the car original if at all possible, a new system would require a cert too. Will ping you if I need advice.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Nominal said:

The shop told me they had an old fart come in to consult on it and he said they were a pain. I want to keep the car original if at all possible, a new system would require a cert too. Will ping you if I need advice.

LOL, I suspect I might be classified as being an "old fart"!

Nothing wrong with keeping things original, tidy HG's are getting thin on the ground theses days. I've never seen a new booster install from that era needing a cert, the aussie stuff was pretty generic.

• Thanks 1

There are about 50ish of these going in the skip this week, ex stadium leds, however quite a few of the drivers have blown but the leds are mint, are they worth salvaging? The new drivers are over $300 on Ali. Each big panel has two lights and two drivers at a total of 600w. They go hard for what they are, will sling a few up around the shed 

F201D13A-A527-4365-9E5C-A172FC675230.jpeg

F5857A91-1DA3-4701-B5A6-CEB68B47CABA.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MaxPower said:

There are about 50ish of these going in the skip this week, ex stadium leds, however quite a few of the drivers have blown but the leds are mint, are they worth salvaging? The new drivers are over $300 on Ali. Each big panel has two lights and two drivers at a total of 600w. They go hard for what they are, will sling a few up around the shed 

F201D13A-A527-4365-9E5C-A172FC675230.jpeg

F5857A91-1DA3-4701-B5A6-CEB68B47CABA.jpeg

What volts amps? Might be cheap/dirty psu options we can suggest.

• Like 1

Where can I get a 40uF run capacitor for my compressor? Mine is bung. I reckon it's the run cap because it turns over and tries to run, but then pops the resettable fuse. 

Stuff I am finding is either drop shipped or has the stud on the bottom that makes it not fit or >$50