Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, Willdat? said:

NZ$ 82.35  55%OFF | 30V 10A Laboratory Power Supply Digital Display Adjustable Switching DC Power Supply Voltage Regulator 220 V /110 V New Arrivals
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mM5FeCa what about flagging the batteries and running one of these? We run them at work as laptop chargers as way cheaper than multiple laptop chargers. I assume the the 24V is just running a fan?

No unfortunately, there is a big ass heating coil that draws lots of current for a bit, then it's just a fan.

Hence the batteries to buffer that.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Nominal said:

Knock up a couple of trickle chargers from plug packs?

AutoSpeed - Zero Cost Trickle Charger

Don't buy a small CTek charger and expect it to work on a car battery. It won't.

16 minutes ago, NickJ said:

small ali express 12V supply for each battery, brake lamp bulb in series to limit current.

All up be less than $10

Maybe, although it may be good to supply some amps to run the fan after the initial heating draw...?

15 minutes ago, ThePog said:

Maybe, although it may be good to supply some amps to run the fan after the initial heating draw...?

Got any nameplates to get an idea of how much grunt is needed? straight 24V powersupply may be the go as per will and ditch the batteries all together.

2 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Got any nameplates to get an idea of how much grunt is needed? straight 24V powersupply may be the go as per will and ditch the batteries all together.

My little 5.5kW eberspacher drew 10 or 15 amps initially, this is way bigger.

I found a user manual, fan is 4 amps, there is a glow resistor that I think this is in series with the glow plug, this should measure between 15 and 17 amps.

So 20 amps on startup probably.

7 minutes ago, NickJ said:

What about a big PC power supply? I don't know how common 24v would be on those.

3 minutes ago, Willdat? said:

Batteries in tandem with one of these would be my pick then as I would get insurance fears with things plugged in long term attached to a fuel source. https://www.trademe.co.nz/3646442297

Yea the batteries make sense to deal with startup, then it's a case of supplying running current.

In reality I would probably disconnect the power when unused as long as it had enough jibber to charge it up a bit while running the fan.

22 minutes ago, ThePog said:

What about a big PC power supply? I don't know how common 24v would be on those.

Just checked all mine, largest is 200W and all 12V. I do have a spare 200W 24V supply if thats any use for testing?

Or, buy the 600W Ali express supply, by the time it turns up summer will be here and you can dump it in the pile of unfinished projects.

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Just checked all mine, largest is 200W and all 12V. I do have a spare 200W 24V supply if thats any use for testing?

Or, buy the 600W Ali express supply, by the time it turns up summer will be here and you can dump it in the pile of unfinished projects.

I am a man who mostly finishes projects. I don't have the room for too much unfinished shit.

6 minutes ago, smokin'joe said:

solar

Maybe. I could actually sit this outside the shed under a wee roof and make holes for the ducting. This means I don't need to worry about the exhaust too much either, then set up a couple of panels for charging the batteries.... It could work.

12 minutes ago, NickJ said:

So that supply is 8 amps roughly? Could be worth a try.