Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, 87creepin said:

Trailers don't require certification right? 

Say, hacking up fenders to fit larger tyres or changing axles round, fitting stuff to the drawbar? 

It was always like that

/so long as it looks good enough for the wof man 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RUNAMUCK said:

If you got that letter, than I'd wager it's still registered in your name.

Some meth addled crackhead will be trundling about just waiting to rack up fines that will come back to you.......

You can check if you are the registered owner of a vehicle on the nzta website 

When you guys sell a car 

Assuming it's wof/reg, do you keep it insured for test drives etc? No one under 25 if you're not covered for that etc? 

I just cancelled my insurance on my former daily cos I'm not gonna be using it for a while. 

I'm thinking for safety I'll just re-insure it when I do list it for sale. 

And for the no wof/reg - 

Do you guys allow test drives on public roads? 

Depends on the car and application 

A long shaft has a lower critical rpm , a 2 piece shaft you end up with 2 short shafts so that max rpm figure is higher

http://www.wallaceracing.com/driveshaftspeed.php

A single piece shaft can be made to handle high rpm but then it has to be bigger 

Also depends on the combo. If it's a car that isn't going to see high rpm or speed then you will likely get away with it . However things that rev to the moon and or have overdrive gearboxes are more likely to have problems. I know of 2 situations where people put LS motors in old cars (one was a 57? chev and the other was an impala) and they spat driveshafts out on a dyno due to exceeding the critical rpm of the shaft. I wish I still had the pics of the impala, it nearly wrote it off, because the shaft lets go in the middle at high rpm it absolutely destroyed the floor, it was very fucked. 

The other trap is the tunnel shape, if the car was designed for a 2 piece shaft then they don't always have room for suspension travel and the front half of the shaft going up and down. Early commodores have that issue when fitted with a single piece shaft, they rub on the tunnel in the middle of the car, and it's usually made worse by the shaft having to be a bigger diameter 

In my VG when it had a good engine in it, I did a burnout in top gear once, it got near the rev limit and made a horrible high frequency vibration that I'd never felt before, I'm picking that was the limit of the stock shaft. I heard a story not long after that of a guy with a turbo 6 valiant that the shaft let go somewhere around 200kph

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

Yeah its got to be designed to be fit for purpose.

I would like to think the drive shaft manufacturer would know all about it and ask you what kind of speeds you are expecting and what kind of diff ratio / wheel size etc, and design the shaft to suit.

i.e If you are going to be doing 200km/h with 13" wheels and short diff gears, then that shaft is going to be singing, and likely need to be a bigger diameter.

• Like 1