Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know a good supplier of total oils that take online orders/delivery?

Most I've found online are all "Give us a call". Nah bro, fuck that. No ppl please. Take my money and send me the goods without any interaction!

• Like 1

On 17/04/2022 at 16:07, JustHarry said:

What causes this? 

It's on my ms65 crown. Internally regulated alternator that charges at 14v.  It's always done it and it's pretty annoying

20220417_160554.thumb.jpg.a687fef26361415ea8ebd16e399ddabc.jpg

A cup of very hot water with a tablespoon of baking soda and your old toothbrush will clean it up.  There are a couple of products to stop it coming back. Korode Kure (Repco?) or CRC Battery terminal protector. Don't know what does it. I suspect material of terminal (non lead) with a dusting of battery acid from fuming causing electrolysis across dissimilar metals. I haven't seen it happen on lead clamps. Supercheap do a wire brush terminal and post cleaner cheap. Worth cleaning terminals properly so the alt doesn't overcharge/ boil the battery trying to sense across high ohms connections. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, moparmuppet said:

A cup of very hot water with a tablespoon of baking soda and your old toothbrush will clean it up.  There are a couple of products to stop it coming back. Korode Kure (Repco?) or CRC Battery terminal protector. Don't know what does it. I suspect material of terminal (non lead) with a dusting of battery acid from fuming causing electrolysis across dissimilar metals. I haven't seen it happen on lead clamps. Supercheap do a wire brush terminal and post cleaner cheap. Worth cleaning terminals properly so the alt doesn't overcharge/ boil the battery trying to sense across high ohms connections. 

Thanks 

I've cleaned it with contact cleaner. Just spray it off 

I suspect the alternator was unwell as it also stopped charging a week ago. Replacement alternator still does it. Just not as bad. I should go get some terminal protector .

Anyone have a handle on what kind of turbos are commonly available from wreckers these days? Like 18 years ago I could go to PickAPart knowing there was a pretty good chance there would be a GT Legacy there that I can get a IHI VF8 off for ~$70. I think they charge ~$90 these days.

But what cars should I be looking at now?

I'm looking for something similar to a T25... but not 30+ years old. I have a T25 off a CA18DET... it has a little play but hasn't hit the sides, so I assume I could rebuild it. But maybe I can get something more modern for the price of the rebuild kit???

• Like 1

A good mate of mine has become a horsey spouse over the past few years. The float is a tandem axle, with braked axle, 5 stud with a 5" PCD. What are the (hopefully) 14" wheel options, and does anyone have a pair or more available?

That's old 60s and 70s pontiac /Chevrolet. 

As far as getting a pair of wheels....

Future proofing is probably better to go 5x114.3 and use a toyota/nissan steel wheel. 

Might be a bit of outlay to change the hubs. But will save headaches further down the line 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JustHarry said:

That's old 60s and 70s pontiac /Chevrolet. 

As far as getting a pair of wheels....

Future proofing is probably better to go 5x114.3 and use a toyota/nissan steel wheel. 

Might be a bit of outlay to change the hubs. But will save headaches further down the line 

and possibly save the wart-infested ball-ache of unobtainium bearings, like we were yapping about t'other day

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1