Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In dead battery spam

I bought a kg of Epsom salts  from some beauty shop on line.

Go to their website from Google, and get a pop up saying, sign up to our news letter and get $5 off your next order. So I did 

$5 off my Epsom salts which cost $5.  Those Goyims didn't know who they were tangling with!

This morning I took the battery which came out of my NBC. I dunno how old it was. (It was in the bike when I bought it off @Vintage Grumble)

Although it would run the bike, (efi, so a bit of gravy needed) no amount of charging would give it enough snot to run the stater motor.

I levered out the "do not remove" plugs that were pressed in. And gave each one a heaped teaspoon of salts. The holes were pretty small. In inspection with a torch showed the plates wrrent fully covered. So I used a large syringe full of hot water to top them up. 

Once the caps were back in, I shook the shit out of it. 

The charger wouldn't recognize it. (Probably because I'd left the key on, and run it completely dead)

I jumped it off another battery. And a short time ago I could disconnect the bigger battery, and it would continue charging.

So watch this space for the result.....

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Well the fully charged light came on. 

Threw it in the NBC, and got one solid start out of it. 

So it's an improvement? 

I found another battery that was fucking dead. Gave it a healthy dose too. I'm holding out zero hope for that one. But nothing to lose.

• Like 2

Hey nerds (  @Karl (I can never remember his tag, dammint) @Ned  @kempy and IT folk). Not that I'm paranoid about backups, or having accounts yanked and losing your shit, but:

Google backup and sync in mirror mode is supposed to keep a copy of all your shit on your local hard drive.

Supposed to.

Look in C:\Users\h4nd\AppData\Local\Google\DriveFS\ and check the sizes.

Cunts.

• Confused 1

Yo yo.

I am in need of some discussion and suggestions regarding power on the Dynafari, here is the situation;

I have an 80w solar panel mounted on the roof of the truck. This currently runs my 12v camping cooler through a shitty old car battery.

I have another 80w solar panel that can potentially be mounted on the truck also.

I have a small solar controller that will do either 12 or 24v, so either one or both of those panels.

I have the aforementioned 12v cooler that I kind of want to run independent of the truck main batteries so it doesn't drain them while camping.

I have a winch that I bought that is 12v, it recommends a minimum 650cca battery to drive it.

I have two 24v to 12v dcdc converters in the cab to run the 12v stuff, stereo and wipers etc. These work ok but sometimes don't play nice with the stereo, probably a low voltage thing. i.e. the stereo sometimes doesn't turn on.

I plan to buy a hybrid deep cycle 12v battery and mount it somewhere in the truck, probably under the deck.

That battery can run the cooler, probably the winch and *maybe* the cab 12v stuff which I think will help the general reliability of the 12v system.

So there are a few potential setups and it is not obvious to me what the best way to go is.

Do I keep the deep cycle battery charged with the solar and keep it independent of the truck main system?

Do I also hook it up to the cab 12v and charge it with solar?

Do I charge it from the cab 24v system with a specific charger?

Do I charge the truck 24v system with the solar panels, and hence keep the 12v battery juiced from the 24v?

Too many options... giz some opinion..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThePog said:

Yo yo.

I am in need of some discussion and suggestions regarding power on the Dynafari, here is the situation;

I have an 80w solar panel mounted on the roof of the truck. This currently runs my 12v camping cooler through a shitty old car battery.

I have another 80w solar panel that can potentially be mounted on the truck also.

I have a small solar controller that will do either 12 or 24v, so either one or both of those panels.

I have the aforementioned 12v cooler that I kind of want to run independent of the truck main batteries so it doesn't drain them while camping.

I have a winch that I bought that is 12v, it recommends a minimum 650cca battery to drive it.

I have two 24v to 12v dcdc converters in the cab to run the 12v stuff, stereo and wipers etc. These work ok but sometimes don't play nice with the stereo, probably a low voltage thing. i.e. the stereo sometimes doesn't turn on.

I plan to buy a hybrid deep cycle 12v battery and mount it somewhere in the truck, probably under the deck.

That battery can run the cooler, probably the winch and *maybe* the cab 12v stuff which I think will help the general reliability of the 12v system.

So there are a few potential setups and it is not obvious to me what the best way to go is.

Do I keep the deep cycle battery charged with the solar and keep it independent of the truck main system?

Do I also hook it up to the cab 12v and charge it with solar?

Do I charge it from the cab 24v system with a specific charger?

Do I charge the truck 24v system with the solar panels, and hence keep the 12v battery juiced from the 24v?

Too many options... giz some opinion..

My opinion, 12v solar charger and buy a decent 24-12v charger that only runs when the engine is running.

That leaves the 24v system alone and shouldnt need solar top up as your not draining it all night.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, fletch said:

My opinion, 12v solar charger and buy a decent 24-12v charger that only runs when the engine is running.

That leaves the 24v system alone and shouldnt need solar top up as your not draining it all night.

Yea there is merit in that, any 12v juice used while running is topped up by the 24v charger, but solar when parked up camping. I guess it wouldn't matter having two different charging systems for the same battery...?

This does alternator and solar charging. Redarc stuff seems spendy though;

https://www.sparkshop.co.nz/Catalogue/Product/Product/27-BCDC1240D

• Like 1

Multiple charging systems ok. As the battery nears 14.4v or whatever the charger will back off.

That redarc unit looks like the ticket. All in one. Set and forget etc etc.

They are good as they can take down to 9v input and charge a 12v battery properly. Good for when you have a long cable from front to rear of vehicle and say a caravan, but still get good voltage at the battery.

How much is it?

Fletch is bang on with charging advice, redarc stuff is really nice and safe but criminally expensive, keep an eye out for second hand stuff if you're not in a hurry.

Run those panels in parallel, you'll want all the power you can get.

I'd run a 24v winch from the main batteries and run a lithium house, have you got winch already? Unless you find a cheap PTO, that would be super sweet.