Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, kws said:

Just noticed mitre10 has a 4l tin of crc brakleen on their site for $34, which doesn't seem like a bad deal. 

The wurth stuff is better. Easier on your skin and some plastics too. I use it for everything at work and home

• Like 1

I get 20L CRC brakleen cheap through work, so use that myself, but dont like how quickly it evaporates. Does the job well though.

Ive even found the Supercheap stuff in the blue cans is pretty good too, just end up going through heaps of it when you have so many shit cars.

• Haha 2

How could you reject a face like that!

/ should of been clearer I'm after a brake dust cleaner for (painted) alloy wheels

That acid is the active ingredient that turns ferrous stuff red in what I imagine is over price and fairly watered down mag cleaners 

Ie $20 for 500ml

https://www.repco.co.nz/en/car-care-panel/car-care/tyre-care/crc-mag-monster-mag-wheel-cleaner-500ml-9308/p/A1307798

Sds says 10% acid, 5% alcohol, >60% water

So 20 bucks for a shot glass of acid.....

• Like 1

Hmm some googling and

"after some Digging i found out that the active ingredient in iron x is ammonia thioglycate " perming solution "
With this in mind i decided to uphold a little experiment. I went down to the local hairdresser suppliers and bought a liter bottle of perming solution " pay careful attention its for normal hair and contains ammonia thioglycate as some are herbal and have different chemicals in them "

any way I payed £8.49 for a liter and Diluted it 50/50 with normal tap water Some say you can dilute it 2-1 2= water 1-ammonia ......

I then sprayed it very cautiously on my mothers civic wheels " she was going nuts in case it went wrong " within seconds a stream of purple began removing bedded in brake dust i was amazed " wish i had taken a picture  " a little agitate with a brush and a hose off and they were gleaming

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, datlow said:

How could you reject a face like that!

/ should of been clearer I'm after a brake dust cleaner for (painted) alloy wheels

That acid is the active ingredient that turns ferrous stuff red in what I imagine is over price and fairly watered down mag cleaners 

Ie $20 for 500ml

https://www.repco.co.nz/en/car-care-panel/car-care/tyre-care/crc-mag-monster-mag-wheel-cleaner-500ml-9308/p/A1307798

Sds says 10% acid, 5% alcohol, >60% water

So 20 bucks for a shot glass of acid.....

That mag monster stuff is pretty legit too, if you didnt want to source your own active ingredient.

I wish i knew what we used to use at the dealership i worked at. It was definitely an acid of some sort, but by god it cleaned wheels and made them shine. Probably Pacer or the likes. Took my wheels from this tinted brown silver to bright silver with only a couple of washes. None of this bleeding purple gimmick.

DSC05870.jpg

IMG_20141031_182710.jpg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, yoeddynz said:

@jono007 posted this pic in random pic thread. That little pipe welded onto the primaries 1 and 2 - is that to help equalise the scavenger effect or what? 

Screenshot_20220323-215558_Gallery.thumb.jpg.b36fb264c77c25c53260e7eec90651b8.jpg

It’s for the lifting strop.

guffaw..

• Haha 1