Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 14/03/2022 at 10:01, h4nd said:

Speaking of battery stuff. I have a battery (was 10.8V) I'm trying to save (just for interest). My 2.2A charger wasn't doing the biz, and @RUNAMUCKhas been kind enough to loan me his 3 or 4A "Pulse charger" (MSPaint graphs coming later). It's slowly clawing the peak voltage up, which looks promising.

My Q is: what happens if I invert the battery and slosh it around to try and loosen the crystals / acid-salts/whatever while it's charging. Does it short through the electrolyte and explode, or go flat real fast or some nonsense? ( @ajg193, Autosparkies?)

Anyone with experience with flooded lead acid batteries from roll-overs etc? Thanks team.

Epsom salts and there is a thing you can connect across the terminals called a de sulpalter   

2 minutes ago, ajg193 said:

Doesn't logic dictate that if epsom salts actually made a shit battery really good then the factory would put it in?

I had a 7 year old battery that wouldn't even start a 4 cylinder work for another 3 years cranking a v8 after drilling holes in the top and putting in a spoon full of Epsom salts into each cell, I even sold the battery with a tractor in the end.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ajg193 said:

Doesn't logic dictate that if epsom salts actually made a shit battery really good then the factory would put it in?

Logic also dictates that if you make a battery not last a long time, you can sell more batteries. 

Guess which logic a battery manufacturer goes with? :P 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Bling said:

Logic also dictates that if you make a battery not last a long time, you can sell more batteries. 

Guess which logic a battery manufacturer goes with? :P 

Logic also dictates that everything is built to a price, quality be dammed :( 

• Sad 1