Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

On 26/10/2021 at 21:43, MaxPower said:

I’m putting it on a 4g64 mitsi in the next couple of weeks, thanks for the advice that makes sense , will let you know if it works out. 

That should give it a bit more breathing room. My DCOE copies showed up. Threw all the rubber parts in a container of fuel and haven had them swell up so Ive got high hopes. There is some machining imperfections that need tidying up. defiantly throwing the Chinese jets and emulsion tubes in the bin. 

• Like 1

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Carsnz123 said:

That should give it a bit more breathing room. My DCOE copies showed up. Threw all the rubber parts in a container of fuel and haven had them swell up so Ive got high hopes. There is some machining imperfections that need tidying up. defiantly throwing the Chinese jets and emulsion tubes in the bin. 

Keep the jets and tubes for drilling/experimenting!

On 28/10/2021 at 21:46, oldrx7 said:

Adjustable suspension / struts question - had a search but couldn't find the thread / comment I thought I'd read a long time ago.

I'm looking at (in the near future) to be buying some FC rx7 adjustable suspension.  From searching around various websites, there's a lot to choose from;

XYZ = $1700

Lines Racing = $1100

Hakon = $1600

Yellowspeed = $1600

D2 = $1700

BC Golds = $1800

Max Pro = $2300

Plus I'm sure there's so many other more well-known Japanese brands out there for sale also.

My question is - any of the above brands known to be not great/shit/not cert-able?  Do I just purchase roughly based on price?  Avoid the cheap one and stick with the mid-range?

Auto Fortune seem to have a good reputation and price seems reasonable

Here for no other reason....

I've bought Golf with leather seats which has some tears in the side bolster, right where the seat-airbag is.  I've been advised that only certain shops can repair/re-stitch these to comply, does anyone know who can do this?  Replacement seat cover from VW is now NLA...

@64valiant ?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Adoom said:

Has anyone tried using dry ice to remove spray on underseal? I've used it on the sheet stuff with great success, but Triumph used a spray on product on the floor of my car. This is inside the car, not underneath. 

I've been trying with LN2 on some nasty aftermarket tar-like goop on the Datsun underbody, no real result ended up resorting to a knot brush & grinder and various scrapers, heatgun and finally acetone.

D-, will not do again.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NickJ said:

I've been trying with LN2 on some nasty aftermarket tar-like goop on the Datsun underbody, no real result ended up resorting to a knot brush & grinder and various scrapers, heatgun and finally acetone.

D-, will not do again.

Liquid Nitrogen? I thought of that. I've never had the opportunity to get my hands on any. I wondered if it would work when poured onto something, does it just instantly sublimate away without doing much cooling? Every time I see something frozen with LN2 it gets submerged.

19 minutes ago, Adoom said:

Liquid Nitrogen? I thought of that. I've never had the opportunity to get my hands on any. I wondered if it would work when poured onto something, does it just instantly sublimate away without doing much cooling? Every time I see something frozen with LN2 it gets submerged.

Yep, not as easy to cool panels as CO2 but being patient on flat surfaces it can do the job really well, if the parts can handle dunking it is the quickest way.

Biggest drawback i've found is excessive condensation

8 hours ago, Adoom said:

Has anyone tried using dry ice to remove spray on underseal? I've used it on the sheet stuff with great success, but Triumph used a spray on product on the floor of my car. This is inside the car, not underneath. 

Tar/underseal we just use a heat gun and a scraper to remove at work. It's a shit job no matter what. But that's the cleanest way to remove. Wire wheels usually just heat it and make a gooey mess same with sandblasting or sanding 

Then solvents usually paint thinners to get the last sratchings off. 

• Like 2