Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, kws said:

Anyone know somewhere that can redo glass in a wing mirror? the Marina mirrors are in good condition except the silvering is coming off the mirror glass ( so you can see through the mirror). I want to keep the mirrors, so need someone that can fit a replacement mirror glass that is cut to the weird shape. I feel like novus/smith&smith are a bit too generic to do it right?

Buy standard mirror (non-toughened) and waterjet cut to shape.
I have used our waterjet to cut glass of all sizes so don't see why this wouldn't work.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kws said:

Anyone know somewhere that can redo glass in a wing mirror? the Marina mirrors are in good condition except the silvering is coming off the mirror glass ( so you can see through the mirror). I want to keep the mirrors, so need someone that can fit a replacement mirror glass that is cut to the weird shape. I feel like novus/smith&smith are a bit too generic to do it right?

I need to do this also so bought a 300x400mm plastic mirror from the warewhare.. Have yet to make them and mirror its still sitting on the kitchen table where I left it 2 months ago. 

• Like 2

I rough cut down a mirror and then ground the corners with the grinder. It was messy and the edge wasn't perfect but the black sealant I used to hold it in place within the stainless casing hid the edges. 

It was totally functional and looked suitably ropey enough for a shitty old viva wagon. 

• Like 2

Some more drum brake spam

kDnuZH3.jpeg

I pulled my drums off and gave them a good clean, wound the self adjusters in as I found they had too much friction within the drums and the wheels weren't rotating as freely as they should. 

The wheel cylinders did have a bit of gunk leaking out of them. 

I now have a sometimes spongy brake pad (need a bleed most likely) 

But I am leaning towards buying new parts and wheel cylinders rather than just doing cheap solutions and hopefully it works, fail wof, do some more work, only to fail again. 

Thoughts? 

Shoes look ok 

Cylinders are stuffed.

Replace the lot if you're feeling wealthy.

Once its all bleed up you will have to adjust it manually through the back plate. Adjust it up until the wheel wont turn then back it off until it turns freely.

Edit.

Chances are if the pedal is low now it's because the adjusters have been backed off.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Has anyone installed a in-tank efi pump into a fuel tank that did not have one before?

I'm considering using an in-tank pump on the triumph, for the 1uzfe. My reasons are so I don't need to find an external mounting location and avoid having a surge tank and lift pump, also I would assume it's much quieter(because not-racecar).

Is it straightforward? How do you deal with fuel surge? The tank has no internal baffles. What about the height of the tank?

The oem stuff I have seen photos of look like just a big plastic thing with everything contained within it, I suspect I cannot modify that for height, or make use of the included float level.

Should I just use an external pump and mount it under the car, using the OEM outlet on the bottom of the tank?

I've finished the ecu wiring and want to test start the engine... but the old external fuel pump I had was fuckzorred(I think the E85 ate it) so I need to think about a new pump now...

Can buy foam “baffling” comes in those square fuel cells etc (google fuel tank foam)

https://nzkw.com/shop/brand-new-nzkw-yellow-buffle-fuel-foam/

intank setup is just flexi hose to a pipe so should be able to find one close an fine tune the length easily?

or go fancy aftermarket universal ones

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/fuel_pumps_regulators_and_filters/fuel_pumps/in-tank_retrofit_fuel_module/

I'm keen on modifying something from another car and replacing the pump. Those aftermarket ones seem excessive for my application.

Does anyone know of a suitable doner that is all metal so I can modify it easily? I suppose I could just make it all from scratch. It's just a flat plate with some pipes and a bracket thing.

Changing the oil in my compressor today. I got the manual out and it says use 5w50 synthetic engine oil. The factory oil I drained was the colour and consistency of cold golden syrup. I haven’t seen any compressor oil that looks like that, but not an expert etc…

No 5w50 in stock but I have 10w50. Good enough. Wot you reckon?

• Like 1