Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

56 minutes ago, 87creepin said:

I did the tape test on my AE101 daily, but I jacked it up from centre and lowered it with one side having a stand so same thing more or less?

Tape didn't dip. But I found a really cheap strut tower brace at the wreckers so I'm trying to get it to work. It'll need new strut tower plates to suit my car. however with the price of 3mm thick steel being so high it works out cheaper/easier to buy an off the shelf unit which is what I will do.

/lingpost

They are great for leaning your hand on when working on the engine at least

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NickJ said:

Jacked up a corner of the girlfriend's Passat to figure out how to do an oil change and the small windscreen crack turned to a spider's web.

Thats when I realised the mechanic can have my $$$, the only thing I will turn on that car is the heater control.

I did a similar trick with a lowered E34 540I but the whole side came off the ground with the jack just behind the front wheel. Really stiff cars those E34s. The cronw coupe flexes badly for something with a full chassis. Can barley get the doors open and closed on a 2 post hoist. 

• Like 2

Recommendations for a good cheap non solvent fluid for parts washer ? 
looking at simple green or crc exoff both in the concentrate version to save shipping costs and pref delivery naow 

Local mitre 10 is no go for delivery cos COVID at mitre 10 awards ceremony and my prelockdown Bunnings order is still not here 

Little bro is after a combo oil pressure/boost gauge for his 180SX Type X. This funtionally is sweet, but doesn't look that great. What does the hive mind of Oldschool reckon? https://www.shopsaas.com/saas-dual-gauge-boost-0-30-psi-ana-oil-press-140-psi-dig-trax-series-sg611230?fbclid=IwAR2KQqQ73Ew48wN09SviaAW6KycIBPPqZGnzvNbrLhkl128JvDUHvVrIj5s

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Transom said:

looking at simple green or crc exoff both in the concentrate version to save shipping costs and pref delivery naow 

Local mitre 10 is no go for delivery cos COVID at mitre 10 awards ceremony and my prelockdown Bunnings order is still not here 

I wouldnt bother with the SCA parts washer fluid that Supercheap sells, just FYI. I find it does feck all to break down oil and grease, but leaves a soapy film on everything. Wish i didnt fill my parts washer with it, now its hard to get rid of and change.

On 21/08/2021 at 08:11, NickJ said:

Jacked up a corner of the girlfriend's Passat to figure out how to do an oil change and the small windscreen crack turned to a spider's web.

Thats when I realised the mechanic can have my $$$, the only thing I will turn on that car is the heater control.

Sounds like the Austin Allegro, jack it up from the rear subframe instead of the jacking point, and the rear screen would pop out.

• Haha 1

On 25/08/2021 at 15:16, Transom said:

https://www.cleanerswarehouse.co.nz/

these guys sell a kero based degreaser called MA. its what ive got in my parts washer. its about $100 for a 20L container 

Anyone know somewhere that can redo glass in a wing mirror? the Marina mirrors are in good condition except the silvering is coming off the mirror glass ( so you can see through the mirror). I want to keep the mirrors, so need someone that can fit a replacement mirror glass that is cut to the weird shape. I feel like novus/smith&smith are a bit too generic to do it right?

6 minutes ago, kws said:

Anyone know somewhere that can redo glass in a wing mirror? the Marina mirrors are in good condition except the silvering is coming off the mirror glass ( so you can see through the mirror). I want to keep the mirrors, so need someone that can fit a replacement mirror glass that is cut to the weird shape. I feel like novus/smith&smith are a bit too generic to do it right?

diy my man