Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lucas stuff is fine.

only problems is when someone plays with it.

switches and terminals corrode/oxidise, you can fix that by polishing the contacts in the switch with your leather belt.

all Lucas switchgear can be pulled apart and serviced.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ive used them before. Made no difference to anything, but I don't run long intervals. Its a filter, it filtered. A+ would buy normal Ryco again because cheaper.

I do recall they have a nice grippy texture though. 

On 07/07/2021 at 21:24, a.craw4d said:

Can anyone recommend a solar powered battery charger/ maintainer?  

I've recently got a work van so the daily is now sitting for long periods between uses with the alarm set. I'm wanting something that'll maintain the battery so I can just jump in and use it when need be (car is parked outside).

Would something like this be suitable?

https://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/p/kt-cables-kt-cables-12v-10w-solar-panel/572249.html#q=KT solar panel&prefn1=adArticleType&prefv1=Solar Panels&sz=60

Hoping I can sit it on the dash and plug it into the cigarette lighter. Thoughts?

I've had a quick search on here for this info but my search skills are probably mediocre.

Probably fine, but check: Does the cig lighter stay on when the ignition is off?

If not, you'll need to wire in the solar (fuse it!) or another cig lighter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, h4nd said:

Probably fine, but check: Does the cig lighter stay on when the ignition is off?

If not, you'll need to wire in the solar (fuse it!) or another cig lighter.

I have a 70 Watt one. Its original purpose was to power a computer fan to try ventilate a shipping container.

Now it lives on the ride on mower. I used to leave it attached all the time, but it eventually boiled the battery... over several months. Now I just stick it on every now and then.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, h4nd said:

Yeah 70w is a bit high for unregulated. 2-5W prob fine, 10W maybe/probably ok on a big battery like a van

Care to explain?  Please, I have no idea.

The car is a Toyota Altezza 4cyl beams but it has the largest battery I could fit in the battery tray.

it would be made to do 12+ volts output to keep battery charged etc on a average day, same as a alternator does at idle

then on a sunny day it’ll be putting out 15+ volts, like a alternator would do at high revs- they have a regulator that stops that

so you need one for the solar panel

look for a solar battery maintainer should all be built in, or a seperate regulator

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, gibbon said:

Where the heck do I get contact details for a snap-on agent in NZ? Got some screwdrivers here that need to be refurbd

We don't get tool trucks up here because of crushing poverty 

I have the number for getting tools replaced on my toolbox as i suffer the same ussue of no truck anymore. Will get it for you minday

• Thanks 1

Do these things work or nah?

Used to see them on cars with all the tacky auto parts store mods in the early 90s. 

Supposed to help keep the wipers on the screen at speed? I know that at 115mph valiant wipers definately dont do shit.  

Should these be consigned to the burn pile, or deoxidised with a heat gun and put back into service?

Screenshot_20210710-235114_Gallery.jpg