Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do alignments all day every day, mainly trade but also retail, and that invoice is so shit, especially if one shop has done everything. Definitely question them about it. Evans answer seems the most logical, but what kind of workshop charges 42.50 to r&r a wheel

• Like 2

Ling,

But a long long time ago my mate rang up a tire shop for a price to do a wheel alignment. Got a price. We dropped it off, and when we picked it up they charged heaps more. 

Said yeah nah, it took ages. We knocked a bit off cos you're a student. (We were school kids, still in uniform) 

I mentioned to the old man about it that night. He said, nah fuck those cunts. Went down there the next day and read them the riot act about you cant quote one price and change another, etc etc etc. They gave my mate the difference back in cash.  My mate was over the fucking moon.  Car still handled like a sack too.....

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, 87creepin said:

I haven't gone for an alignment in 3 years or so but isn't $65-75 the going rate? 

I have no idea what tyre shops/workshops that do alignments charge. I, and all the shops I do alignments for, charge $80incl for retail. Price hasn't gone up in the 13 years I've been doing it and never had anyone complain regarding price, so it must be about right.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking for a single phase motor reversing switch/handle/knob. Something that has rev-off-forward positions

The current switch setup on the lathe has one switch for on/off and a second switch for forward-n-reverse.

I've seen them on old myfords and whatnot, so I know they exist.

Motor is something like 2 kW

Where can I find something locally?

23 hours ago, kyteler said:

https://www.lynxauto.com.au/weber-dcoe-twin-2x-carburettor-linkage-kit.html

They also sell/provide individual components, as does palmside, I believe. 

On 04/07/2021 at 20:00, dspec_tt131 said:

Trying to assemble a twin side draft linkage kit, any tips on where to find individual components? 

also palmside in chch might be able to help 

9 hours ago, ajg193 said:

https://www.pdl.co.nz/products/detail?CatNo=PDL56SW320FRLE&itemno=PDL56SW320FRLEGY&tab-document-1=0#

Wiring instructions 

https://download.schneider-electric.com/files?p_Doc_Ref=659200&p_File_Ext=.pdf

There’s smaller ones-plenty on Ali etc surely some Chinese lathe shop would stock spares?

18 hours ago, ajg193 said:

I'm looking for a single phase motor reversing switch/handle/knob. Something that has rev-off-forward positions

The current switch setup on the lathe has one switch for on/off and a second switch for forward-n-reverse.

I've seen them on old myfords and whatnot, so I know they exist.

Motor is something like 2 kW

I replaced the multi-button array on my lathe with a single multi layer rotary switch - pre quakes. The supplier has gone now but those switches are still available from wholesalers in ChCh. Ring around before trying overseas. With supply lines as they are atm, overseas can take a lot longer than usual.

Can anyone recommend a solar powered battery charger/ maintainer?  

I've recently got a work van so the daily is now sitting for long periods between uses with the alarm set. I'm wanting something that'll maintain the battery so I can just jump in and use it when need be (car is parked outside).

Would something like this be suitable?

https://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/p/kt-cables-kt-cables-12v-10w-solar-panel/572249.html#q=KT solar panel&prefn1=adArticleType&prefv1=Solar Panels&sz=60

Hoping I can sit it on the dash and plug it into the cigarette lighter. Thoughts?

I've had a quick search on here for this info but my search skills are probably mediocre.

I'm going to rewire the headlights on the Triumph because NO FUSE and NO RELAY, all the current goes through a 50 year old switch made by Lucas, the Prince of Darkness...

With headlight wiring.... when you use high beam, should the dip and high filaments both be on, or only the high beam filament?